Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,812,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
I don't care what they spend it on. As long as it is a finite amount, they can blow it all on a lobsters for one meal, or choose soup and have enough to last the entire month. Just don't permit people to cheat the system by not declaring all their income to qualify.
Millions work for cash and have no reportable income.

Some recieve " gifts of cash" from family members or " friends".

There is no way for a state to eliminate all fraud as it relates to welfare or anything else. In many cases the cost of detection/ prevention exceeds the benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 02:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,532,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Why would it bother you? (because my taxes are paying for it) In order for someone to get food stamps, they have to be low-income. If your monthly income is above a certain amount, you don't qualify for it (it's no secret to those who take from the system, many work and get paid under the table). And besides, many people on foodstamps are people who HAVE paid into the system at one point or another (yeah? how many? facts? I personally know plenty who are on assistance third and fourth generation). Who cares if they're buying chips, cookies, etc? It's not your business to dictate what others buy with funds from a program that they qualify for (if you ask me for money for food, and I give it to you, you're right, I give it with no conditions other than to feed yourself and family. but it's a different story when the government takes my money and gives it to you with no questions asked). The program exists to help the less fortunate, and it allows them to buy junk food if they so choose.
See highlighted comments

Old 03-10-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Understood, but as caseworkers it is their job to determine that the story "adds up".

For example rent is used as a deduction, but if someone says they are paying $500 per Month in rent and have no income, or if they have no housing payment/no income-well they need to explain how that is possible-letter from the landlord saying they have not been paying rent, letter from who they are living with that is allowing them to live there without paying, etc. If they are self-employed, they need proof of that income.

A woman also has to give the name/address of their child's father to be eligible-the government then goes after him for child support, as they'd rather have the family being supported by him instead of the Government.
Some women claim father is unknown to protect or avoid the bio father.

Going after the bio father's works when the bio father is employed of has assets. When dad is slinging dope or selling loosies on the corner, there are no wages to attach.

How many men are in prison who have" fathered" children?

Old 03-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Fed government does not own that land. the American people own that land. We pay to have federal employees administer and maintain that land for all Americans. Not just for a few welfare cattle ranchers and fantasy sovereign citizens.
Time to make my reservation for a free room at the White House in time for the cherry blossoms.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,956,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Some women claim father is unknown to protect or avoid the bio father.

Going after the bio father's works when the bio father is employed of has assets. When dad is slinging dope or selling loosies on the corner, there are no wages to attach.

How many men are in prison who have" fathered" children?
This is all true-and when that is the case extra pressure is needed. IE-if the child has a different last name then the Mother, well she must "have an idea" who the Father is. Or often the Father is on the birth certificate, and is found that way. Although sometimes the Mother may say "Oh, that is a family name-my Grandmother's maiden name, etc."

At least you are discussing legitimate problems and not-"everyone on welfare is getting rich while sitting at home all day".

Did you ever work determining eligibility? You'd make a good caseworker hah!

Old 03-10-2016, 05:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Was talking about TANF.

My mistake.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:13 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,956,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
My mistake.
All good.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:49 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,727,797 times
I worked at a grocery store throughout high school and college. Some states allow you to get cash back like a debit card. I'd see people buy $200 worth of groceries using food stamps, then get $40 cash back to pay for their beer and cigarettes. I've also seen crab legs, steamed shrimp, a full sheet cake, and expensive steaks purchased. Meanwhile, I was eating Ramen and beans to get myself through college by making minimum wage at a grocery store.

If you have the money to buy vices, or pay for a cell phone/cable, you have the money to buy your own food.

In reality, food stamps should be limited to individuals on disability, disabled veterans, or the elderly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies