Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 11:14 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times

Advertisements

to one party or the other, so we can vote in the primary!

U.S. Supreme Court orders Montana to respond to GOP primary concerns | News | billingsgazette.com

That's OK, we can register before every primary as the party we want to, if necessary, so we can vote.
As a registered Independent, apparently I won't be able to vote in a closed primary.
As it is now, I get both ballots, and choose the one I want to vote on. The other ballot is thrown away.
So, I get to vote against hillary on either a democrat or republican ballot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post

U.S. Supreme Court orders Montana to respond to GOP primary concerns | News | billingsgazette.com
I get both ballots, and choose the one I want to vote on.

Naw! That doesn't reek of bad intentions.
What could go wrong there?

Old 03-18-2016, 08:38 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
You not only should be able to vote for someone, but also against someone.

Or.....If I want to vote for the (R) candidate for president while voting for the (D) candidate for Senate in the primaries, I should be able to.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:43 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post

Or.....If I want to vote for the (R) candidate for president while voting for the (D) candidate for Senate in the primaries, I should be able to.

Why? Primaries are for choosing a candidate to represent the Party (whatever it may be), to which you do not self-identify. Should you also have a say for, oh let's say a planning/zoning issue, in a town where you don't live or own property?

You can vote for your candidate of choice in the general election. Or not.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

Primaries are fairly new in US elections. They were created by the parties.
Notice the Democrat and Republican primary and delegate protocol are different?

The "Chosen One" has a better chance than the person least liked, taking 30% of the vote and winning, with 3 similar people but opposite of the person that won value's, splitting 70% of the vote.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why? Primaries are for choosing a candidate to represent the Party (whatever it may be), to which you do not self-identify. Should you also have a say for, oh let's say a planning/zoning issue, in a town where you don't live or own property?

You can vote for your candidate of choice in the general election. Or not.
No I can't. I stated why. If I like the (R) candidate for president and the (D) candidate for Senate, why should I have to forfeit any say for one of them in the primaries?

I self identify in siding with the best candidate.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Primaries are fairly new in US elections. They were created by the parties.
Correct, and the parties should not be dictating how we vote.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:17 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
to one party or the other, so we can vote in the primary!

That's OK, we can register before every primary as the party we want to, if necessary, so we can vote.
As a registered Independent, apparently I won't be able to vote in a closed primary.
As it is now, I get both ballots, and choose the one I want to vote on. The other ballot is thrown away.
We have that in my state. In the primary, you have to declare a party before you are issued a ballot, but you are free to change back to an Independent before you leave the polling place.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
No I can't. I stated why. If I like the (R) candidate for president and the (D) candidate for Senate, why should I have to forfeit any say for one of them in the primaries?.......

So what? You don't want to identify as a member of a particular party but you want the privilege of voting for someone who does. So you dilute the vote of someone who is a member. Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

Quote:
Correct, and the parties should not be dictating how we vote.

They aren't. They are, however, setting rules for participation in their essentially private process for choosing a candidate.

I asked you earlier if you should be allowed input in a planning/zoning issue in a community in which you neither live or own property. Same theory.

You didn't answer, by the way.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:43 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Registered Libertarians have been wrestling with this obstructionism for decades. And remember as well, that if our party doesn't maintain a sufficient number of registered voters, we're off the ballot completely; welcome to the camp!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-18-2016 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies