Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 07:31 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times

Advertisements

As little as 4 years ago, every politician on both sides of the aisle was saying that comprehensive immigration reform starts with securing our borders. Ronald Regan legalized 3 Million illegal aliens under the guise of securing our borders. Now, 30 years later, we have 12 Million illegal aliens.

What makes us think that legalizing 12 Million illegal aliens will not lead to 40 Million more, 30 years from now?

Clearly, we did not secure our borders during the last amnesty. Today, so many people are against building a wall. They used to just say that the expense makes it unrealistic. But now, they are going even further than that. We have presidential candidates, like Hillary Clinton, saying things like "We need to build bridges, not walls".

So, I think it is safe to say that in truth, we are NOT committed to securing our borders. In fact, I would say the opposite. We have prominent politicians that are for an open border policy.

And if we have an open border policy, what is the point of even having a country?

So, a few more questions.

Are we no longer in favor of securing our borders?

Are people so vehemently against the wall because it might actually be effective?

If we ARE for securing our borders, other than the expense, what is the reason anyone would have a problem with a wall to secure our borders?

And if not a wall, how do you suppose we secure our borders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 07:55 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
As little as 4 years ago, every politician on both sides of the aisle was saying that comprehensive immigration reform starts with securing our borders. Ronald Regan legalized 3 Million illegal aliens under the guise of securing our borders. Now, 30 years later, we have 12 Million illegal aliens.

What makes us think that legalizing 12 Million illegal aliens will not lead to 40 Million more, 30 years from now?

Clearly, we did not secure our borders during the last amnesty. Today, so many people are against building a wall. They used to just say that the expense makes it unrealistic. But now, they are going even further than that. We have presidential candidates, like Hillary Clinton, saying things like "We need to build bridges, not walls".

So, I think it is safe to say that in truth, we are NOT committed to securing our borders. In fact, I would say the opposite. We have prominent politicians that are for an open border policy.

And if we have an open border policy, what is the point of even having a country?

So, a few more questions.

Are we no longer in favor of securing our borders?

Are people so vehemently against the wall because it might actually be effective?

If we ARE for securing our borders, other than the expense, what is the reason anyone would have a problem with a wall to secure our borders?

And if not a wall, how do you suppose we secure our borders?

Americans now take leave of their senses when they discuss immigration.

They simply cannot discern between Legal and Illegal. Therefore, they are incapable of discussing it rationally.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
I live within walking distance of the border.

25 years ago, the border WAS insecure. If you left lawn furniture in your front yard overnight, it would be gone the next morning, bound for the flea markets in Mexico. Auto theft was rampant, with the stolen cars going south to feed a huge industry in chop shops that would then sell the parts to US retailers.

Today, the border is SO much better than it was. It isn't perfect, but it's much improved.

As to illegal immigrants, "American" corporations absolutely LOVE having millions of illegals here to hold down wages and benefits for American workers. It's just another facet of corporate welfare. Which is why it won't ever be effectively addressed. Anything that benefits the wealthy and powerful is written in stone.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:08 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

25 years ago, the border WAS insecure. If you left lawn furniture in your front yard overnight, it would be gone the next morning, bound for the flea markets in Mexico. Auto theft was rampant, with the stolen cars going south to feed a huge industry in chop shops that would then sell the parts to US retailers.

Today, the border is SO much better than it was. It isn't perfect, but it's much improved.

As to illegal immigrants, "American" corporations absolutely LOVE having millions of illegals here to hold down wages and benefits for American workers. It's just another facet of corporate welfare. Which is why it won't ever be effectively addressed. Anything that benefits the wealthy and powerful is written in stone.
I agree with the last paragraph, only I would add that there are plenty on the left that "LOVE" having millions of illegals as well as the right. Both parties are funded by these corporations.

The first part of your post is anecdotal. Help me understand why, if the borders are so much more secure, do we have so many more illegals now then we did back then.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 AM

12,043 posts, read 6,576,479 times
Quote:

e.
I've also lived in a border state and have friends in the Border Patrol in AZ and NM.
Border security is fluid and very changeable. You were,lucky your area improved, but those illegals and their coyotes just moved to weaker patrolled areas. When scarce border patrol resources move there, they move back to the new neglected areas.
Its a joke that the Obama administration is saying illegals are down. Just look around at any construction company, landscape company, hotel, food service, or elementary school in America. All those industries and our schools are now saturated with new illegal workers.
The Border Patrol and ICE have been quietly told to stand down with deportations from Obama et all while they lie to us that it's improved.

The Republican "establishment" have also been complicit in not enforcing our immigration laws. But I think Republican and some independent voters are truly fed up with the R establishment, and thus Trump.....

Last edited by mountainrose; 03-21-2016 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-21-2016, 08:49 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
I think private property rights are the best way to secure a border. You post a sign and anyone who trespasses ends up with x-eyes.
It should not be put upon private bussineses to enforce immigration laws.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:

Of course they love to have millions illegals for two reasons:
1. They, the corporations, large and small businesses, make more profit, and,
2. American consumers, aka, we the people, do not want to pay high prices.

So, let's not just blame on the businesses.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
stop the consumers-- and we can shut it down
no drugs -no sex -no cheap labor ---simple-what is so hard to understand?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Of course they love to have millions illegals for two reasons:
1. They, the corporations, large and small businesses, make more profit, and,
2. American consumers, aka, we the people, do not want to pay high prices.

So, let's not just blame on the businesses.
OK, let's look a little deeper...

Taxpayers pay for:

a) their medical expenses as theclog up emergency rooms across the country
b) their groceries through food stamps
c) their kids' education as they attend our public schools
d) their rent as tey moe into subsidized housing

No wonder corporations love having them here by the millions.

And what was that you mentioned about paying less?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I agree with the last paragraph, only I would add that there are plenty on the left that "LOVE" having millions of illegals as well as the right. Both parties are funded by these corporations.

The first part of your post is anecdotal. Help me understand why, if the borders are so much more secure, do we have so many more illegals now then we did back then.

The last paragraph offers the explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies