Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you torture a Terrorists family member to save innocent lives?
Yes, war is killing people and breaking things, do what has to be done 102 72.34%
Only if it would save a substantial number of lives 11 7.80%
Only the terrorist themself not family if they are innocent 15 10.64%
Never even if it means saving a whole city from total destruction. 13 9.22%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 08:40 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I wasn't saying that terrorism was dangerous, just the way in which we react at any cost, it needs to be put in persective.
if it were your family that could be saved, would you try and save them at any cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 08:41 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Unequivocal equivocating.
So be it. Torture is too loosely defined in modern legalities or Geneva convention. Yes to torture. Varied on application. Take it as you will.

I'm also for battlefield summary execution if it means committing resources that will endanger the mission unless the mission is to capture.

Again, take it as one will. Judging is easy, doing is hard.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:42 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
if it were your family that could be saved, would you try and save them at any cost?
A hypothetical with no foundation.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:42 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Dying is not, however, is not the worst thing that can happen. The example above notes that the Soviets accomplished thier goals quickly by castrating one of the relatives of Hezbollah, sending the organ to the leader of Hezbollah, as well as a list of the names and addresses of his other relatives.
yes. I wrote that. Dying is easy but enduring pain is not.

They are cowards who gird themselves for that one moment when they push a button but have no stamina under the application of pain.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
So be it. Torture is too loosely defined in modern legalities or Geneva convention. Yes to torture. Varied on application. Take it as you will.

I'm also for battlefield summary execution if it means committing resources that will endanger the mission unless the mission is to capture.

Again, take it as one will. Judging is easy, doing is hard.
And torturing another person should be hard. Indeed, it should be a line that humans should refuse to cross. Unequivocally.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
yes. I wrote that. Dying is easy but enduring pain is not.

They are cowards who gird themselves for that one moment when they push a button but have no stamina under the application of pain.
And lying is just as easy as telling the truth. And may achieve the terrorists' goals. Hmmm....

Old 03-24-2016, 08:45 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,555,388 times
Quote:
A hypothetical with no foundation.
I wasn't talking to you.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Obvious reponse from one who can't deal with the cognitive dissonance drummed up by this topic. Keep working through it though. Maybe a breakthrough will come.
I have no dissonance, cognitive or otherwise, regarding this topic.

Perhaps you do?

Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,655 times
Quote:
You couldn't think of them as human and torture them. Could you?

The ability to torture someone, like the ability to own someone, requires that you think of your victim as less than human.

But to do that requires that you lose some of your own humanity.
If "losing some of my humanity" means choosing to use a propane torch and a pair of pliers on some terrorist's genitals rather than let my wife, stepson, mother, sister or father suffer some horrific fate, I am willing to chance it. IMO, that wouldn't kill your humanity more than letting a loved one die in such a way when you had the power to stop it.

As for being squeamish... Let's just put it this way. I hunt, have killed and been elbow-deep in the chest cavities countless animals that were far less deserving of death than some inhuman terrorist grint. To date, I have yet to lose any sleep over it. In all honesty, I always ensure I make a clean, efficient kill shot on a game animal in order to minimize its suffering. If I can't make an ethical kill, I let the animal walk. However, I would fire upon terrorists without regard to where I hit them, as long as I knew they would eventually die from the injuries I inflicted. As such, if I haven't lost any of my humanity yet, I doubt very much I would lose any from torturing a terrorist. YMMV.

That being said, I'm not going to ridicule you if you are squeamish when it comes to killing. I just gave you the reasons why most people buy their meat from their supermarket rather than shooting it themselves. It comes down to willpower, fortitude and not being afraid of a little wetwork.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 AM

572 posts, read 280,157 times
I don't think torture is effective, so no.

But I'm not opposed to taking extreme measures to prevent terrorist attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies