Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:21 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times

Advertisements

While it is true Hindi is only about 40% of the languages spoken among Indians, it is the predominant language because India is such a crazy-quilt of languages with 0..13% of this, 0.25% of that and so forth. What, there are dozens, more likely even hundreds of languages in a country of 1.3 billion and growing?

A 40% language and religious base in a country as fractured as India means dominance.

I'll give you a technical point for the derivation; i.e., Hindi/Sanskrit. Still, my point remains about the religiosity associated with the yoga practice stands. No religion in public schools, nor government schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Hindi/Sanskrit not Hindu...500 million Hindus who do not speak Hindi do not even give a hit about that word..They have their own languages..

Old 03-26-2016, 05:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
No one banned the word......why is it that all of the threads on this start off with a false premise?

Old 03-26-2016, 05:52 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Public schools need to stick to doing what they do best: indoctrinating its subjects into being slaves to the state (the one true god).

Old 03-26-2016, 07:21 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ummmm...no.

The Constitution says you are guaranteed freedom of religion.... not freedom from exposure to any and all religious symbols and traditions in society.

It just means the government cannot choose or enforce on the people any particular religion over another.

The free exercise clause means that just because you are free to choose any religion... or none at all, does not mean you have a right to deny others from practicing their religion in public places.
It also means that you cannot give one religion a preference over others and that is what most Christians want.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:24 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Good! Liberals banned God and the 10 commandments from the classroom, we ban Budda and yoga. Equal rights are great!

Budda? Seriously?

These are the kind of people who should have ZERO input about what goes on in any educational institution.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-26-2016 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-26-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
While it is true Hindi is only about 40% of the languages spoken among Indians, it is the predominant language because India is such a crazy-quilt of languages with 0..13% of this, 0.25% of that and so forth. What, there are dozens, more likely even hundreds of languages in a country of 1.3 billion and growing?

A 40% language and religious base in a country as fractured as India means dominance.

I'll give you a technical point for the derivation; i.e., Hindi/Sanskrit. Still, my point remains about the religiosity associated with the yoga practice stands. No religion in public schools, nor government schools.
Now foreign languages cannot be spoken bc of the percent of people who speak that language who may or may not practice a religion?

You people are truly wackadoo.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Did this person say they had anything to do with each other? It's like saying we should ban "Christianity and Islam".

Wait, what do they have to do with each other?

Anyway, while I'm an agnostic and liberal, I think the parents in this case are justified. We are talking about Hindu religious traditions here, regardless of how watered down and hippyfied they have been in the west. If you can't pray in school, how much different is meditation and chanting Hindu mantras?
You're an ignorant agnostic and liberal.

Millions of Indian people say, "Namaste" as an informal greeting and it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION.

OMG.

People make fun of our country for being dumb and xenophobic and they're 100% correct. I can't believe I defended us for so long. It's all true.

#disillusioned

Old 03-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You're an ignorant agnostic and liberal.

Millions of Indian people say, "Namaste" as an informal greeting and it HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION.

OMG.

People make fun of our country for being dumb and xenophobic and they're 100% correct. I can't believe I defended us for so long. It's all true.

#disillusioned
Merry Christmas really has little to do with religion either but.................

If a teacher was telling his students "God bless you" as they leave the classroom they would likely be instructed to stop. That saying is also pretty much the same sort of statement.

You can't say it has NOTHING to do with religion at that. It most certainly does. It may have become a general greeting but so has many things people say that they have been instructed not to in an official capacity any longer.

Want to end that? O.K. but until we do one can't complain sometimes while not complaining other times.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:22 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Ummmm...no.

The Constitution says you are guaranteed freedom of religion.... not freedom from exposure to any and all religious symbols and traditions in society.

It just means the government cannot choose or enforce on the people any particular religion over another.

The free exercise clause means that just because you are free to choose any religion... or none at all, does not mean you have a right to deny others from practicing their religion in public places.
So Bob, you would be in favor of children praying from the Koran every morning before classes.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
So Bob, you would be in favor of children praying from the Koran every morning before classes.
The statement you replied to is pretty irrelevant to what went on here. They are correct that individuals can practice their religions in public. That isn't what is in question here.

The problem was teachers leading students in a religious practice.

If two students want to greet each other with a "namaste" they are, and should be allowed to.

If the school wants to make yoga exercises a part of a physical fitness program they can. They just have to leave the religious aspects out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies