Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:08 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
:d :d :d
I always heard it was still excruciating even with epidurals?

As for the generational baby karma, lol. I guess that's good news and bad news. Good because I slept through the night as a baby, but bad because I was an absolute hellion through my toddler and early childhood years. Unlike my parents though who preferred to just walk away and pretend I wasn't their kid throwing the tantrum, I certainly won't put up with that from my kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 11:11 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post

As for the generational baby karma, lol. I guess that's good news and bad news. Good because I slept through the night as a baby, but bad because I was an absolute hellion through my toddler and early childhood years. Unlike my parents though who preferred to just walk away and pretend I wasn't their kid throwing the tantrum, I certainly won't put up with that from my kid.
LOL. Spoken like someone without kids. One thing you'll learn is that you will be amazed at what you'll put up with with your kid.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:15 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:

Sometimes the best response is to ignore the tantrum.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:16 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
LOL. Spoken like someone without kids. One thing you'll learn is that you will be amazed at what you'll put up with with your kid.
Eh...true. Who am I kidding, I'm a softy. My husband though is very German and very strict naturally, so he can be the Bad Cop.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:27 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Waking up at 1pm, smoking some pot and going to a bar and sitting by yourself.

Do you envy the homeless because they don't have bills?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:28 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
Quote:

I'm not going to say labor doesn't hurt, but it doesn't become excruciating all at once. It's sort of like someone hitting you in the arm and then they do it again and again. You can handle it, but it becomes irritating over time. Fortunately for me, I was eligible for epidurals soon after I was admitted to the hospital.

I said the same thing about tantrums. Didn't work out as I expected. If we walked away, our kids would move to a new spot and start over. A trick we figured out was the kids didn't like it when we pulled out the camera and recorded them and replayed it back on the tv.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Actually, I was amazed at what I *wouldn't* put up with!

I thought I would be the softie and my wife the hard-ass, but I have to tell you, it's been 100% the total opposite.

Who knew I'd be the hammer?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:37 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Actually, I was amazed at what I *wouldn't* put up with!

I thought I would be the softie and my wife the hard-ass, but I have to tell you, it's been 100% the total opposite.

Who knew I'd be the hammer?
In my house it was the opposite. I was the hammer and my ex-husband was the softie. Actually, my ex was like a big kid himself, so maybe I just stepped up because someone had to be the grownup. That's another aspect to having kids that people don't understand until they experience it. Being a parent changes you, and who you think you are, in ways you can't anticipate.

There was a thread here a while back that asked the question, when did you finally feel like an adult? And my answer would be, the day they laid my first child in my arms. From that moment on, I stopped being first in my own life.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:01 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
First of all, I think some people missed a line in there, or just don't get it so they do not validate it - which is inexcusable - that some people who have had less than stellar parental units, (and that's an understatement in some situations), do not feel the "warm and fuzzies" that a lot of you do. I've read some of this poster's other posts in the past. I can see why he doesn't have those feelings towards parenting.

Second of all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Obviously, she started this whole astonishing sense of entitlement non-sense. How does she know that just because you don't have any children, you don't need the equivalent of maternity leave?

How does she know that you are missing out simply because YOU made different choice?

This said, should a couple with no kids pay the same taxes as a couple with 4 kids in the public school system? Should Americans with No Kids Be Able “Opt-Out” of School Taxes?

I see what you are saying here, op.

I never thought about having my own children until recently. So I understand why some people chose not to have children. I want my own children in the future, but I do feel there is a stigma associated with childless people. "that missing out" " you don't deserve anything because you don't have children" Oh, get this "you are selfish" b.s. certainly is getting old. People obviously make different choices in life.

Although I would not have described her as a good cow, she sure started this whole thing.
This is the norm. For those who want to pretend this conversation did not happen, you may be part of the problem. I have endured this kind of baloney from parents. I'm missing out, I'll change my mind, I don't "deserve" anything, I'm selfish, I don't understand how hard life is (gmab), on and on.

I don't care if people have kids, I do care when people act like I'm wrong for not having them. I do care when I'm subject to bad behavior on the part of their kids and if I show any sort of disapproval or uncomfortableness, they get all self righteous telling me, "they're just kids". My problem isn't with the kids, my problem is with you, the parents, not doing a damn thing about the bad behavior.

And no, I don't believe you should get preference on holiday days off just because you had kids. Seems some parents believe that they deserve to have that special treatment, too. No, you don't.

I don't care if you have kids, but I don't owe you any type of special recognition, I don't owe you any type of monetary award, I don't owe you a thing. I don't owe you any patience when you do nothing to try to correct bad behavior. Not all parents are useless, but a lot of them are - and unfortunately, it appears that the OP has not seen good ones.

It's not that some people had kids, it's the attitude that some of them get when they do. Some parents are amazing, and I admire them. Some parents act like we should crown them for having a kid. You're not special. People have been having kids for thousands of years. It's like Ricky Gervais said about the Golden Globes to the actors - "no one cares about that award as much as you do". Same for the kids. No one cares about your kids as much as you do, so stop trying to make them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody should be paying for other people's children.
Correct. You have them, you provide for them. If you can't do that, don't have them.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:09 PM

617 posts, read 348,965 times
Sounds like a very good thing the op is childless and alone in his drunken or stoned state of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies