Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2016, 08:04 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think of it like this: If one fails to have children, then all those millions and millions of years of making you - your particular combination of dust - from the first one-celled living thing on earth, past the oceans, past the dinosaurs, past the advent of the mammal and the upright primate, surviving all that nature could throw at it, wars, famine, disease and persevering to become you --- ENDS with you. Your twig on of the tree of life just dies when you die and whatever little miracle of survival you might represent is lost for eternity.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant by continuing one's line. Most people don't realize that every human being can be traced back directly to the first most primitive life forms billions of years ago, without a single interruption or missing link in that line. That is impressive when you think about it. Although I think few people are aware of it, they kind of feel it. A couple that has no kids is kind of dying out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:11 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Yes.
Because we live in a society and the society has interest in having new generation.
It still doesn't make it right to forcefully take other people's money to feed your own children.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This poster doesn't even want people to get maternity/paternity leave, saying the taxpayers foot the bill in government agencies and the consumers eat it in private companies.

Some people are just born to feel cheated.

Are those not the facts? Why should consumers, employers or taxpayers foot the bill? If you can't have maternity leave, just don't have children. How hard is that? It is YOUR decision to have children, then YOU really should foot the bill yourself, no? But no, YOU are going to put a gun on other people's heads and force them to pay for YOUR children.

Talking about lack of morals...

Old 03-28-2016, 08:18 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
I don't see why child free people need to defend themselves. Everyone has a different perspective. Personally I see no point to being able to do whatever, whenever, without having someone to support, or care about. To each their own.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, that is exactly what I meant by continuing one's line. Most people don't realize that every human being can be traced back directly to the first most primitive life forms billions of years ago, without a single interruption or missing link in that line. That is impressive when you think about it. Although I think few people are aware of it, they kind of feel it. A couple that has no kids is kind of dying out...
That's the selfish perspective.

People who decide not to have children are doing society, the humanity and the earth a huge favor.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:28 AM

Some people here are a bit immature and unwise, they don't see the bigger picture, only their own wallets.
Simply consider society your extended family, then the point of giving is easier to understand...

Having said that, I do think there should be a limit. Support should only be given for a mother's first two children. If someone emulates the Waltons for whatever reasons, they should indeed not do so at society's expense, it would be a kind of abuse.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Some people here are a bit immature and unwise, they don't see the bigger picture, only their own wallets.
Simply consider society your extended family, then the point of giving is easier to understand...

Having said that, I do think there should be a limit. Support should only be given for a mother's first two children. If someone emulates the Waltons for whatever reasons, they should indeed not do so at society's expense, it would be a kind of abuse.

Are you not the ones getting the money? Are you (the parents) not the ones worry about your own wallets?

You somehow have the audacity to call others "Some people here are a bit immature and unwise, they don't see the bigger picture, only their own wallets."

Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
That's the selfish perspective.

People who decide not to have children are doing society, the humanity and the earth a huge favor.
No. To the contrary, I would even say that it is kind of egoistic and antisocial to enjoy all that society and the government provide and yet not have any children that will help provide those things to the next generations in the future.

Having kids is not a problem in the first world, not having them is.
Having kids is a problem in developing countries, simply because they have too many.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Are you not the ones getting the money? Are you (the parents) not the ones worry about your own wallets?

You somehow have the audacity to call others "Some people here are a bit immature and unwise, they don't see the bigger picture, only their own wallets."
Hardly anyone if anyone has children in order to receive money. That would be the only justification for you to call parents egoistic.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:35 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,528 times
Quote:
It still doesn't make it right to forcefully take other people's money to feed your own children.
Yes it does, because when you live in a society and enjoy all the perks of living in a society, you should give back.
I know a guy on another forum. He is 50 years old, never been married, no kids. He also thought that he should not participating in raising the next generation. Few months ago he started to date a 25 years old lady, and he was really happy about it. So in one of our discussions I told him, that maybe, if there were not some tax breaks for kids that he paid for in his 20-s, her parents would decide to make an abortion. And now, pardon my french instead of **** a nice piece of *ss, he would **** his hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies