Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2016, 05:13 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The OP did not disrespect mothers. The OP disrespect mothers who use taxpayers' money to raise their own children.

Having children is an individual's choice but your personal choice shouldn't burden the taxpayers.

If you want to argue why having children is good, I can give you a thousand reasons why having children is most selfish act, bad for almost every other living things on earth - it is very selfish because it's an act to pass on your own genes.
Oh, I misunderstood the op.

I don't think it is selfish. Someone has to make sure humans don't die out...

I have no problems with mothers getting help from the state. After all, they are raising the future of the country, the kids that will sooner or later pay for the infrastructure etc. that we all use. In most Western countries they will also finance the pensions of retired people, so it is a give and take, a cycle.
Plus, in most Western countries one's pension depends directly on one's contributions earlier in life. That's why in many European countries for instance a lot of retired women get way lower pensions than men, simply because they did not work for years when raising kids (a difficult task they don't even get paid for). I think it is only fair to compensate for that...

The only ones I have a problem with are parents who have lots of kids, for instance for religious reasons. I don't like that Afghan approach where every mom has a dozen kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:23 PM

35,682 posts, read 21,035,253 times
you maybe have more money? I think If i didn't have kids I'd be well off- but to each his own

Old 03-27-2016, 05:31 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
We are all going to get old (if we are lucky) and die. Society needs children to survive - at a selfish level you will need someone to attend to your adult diapers and medical needs.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:35 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Oh, I misunderstood the op.

I don't think it is selfish. Someone has to make sure humans don't die out...
That train has sailed long time ago. We have a huge problem of overpopulation - humans have long become the real threat to every other living thing on earth and have been killing off other species in a rate unseen in earth history - except for some major global natural disasters.

In reality, we need to go down 1/10 of the population to be reasonable.

People want to have kids have never thought about humanity. They want to have children because this one selfish reason - passing on their own genes.

Quote:
I have no problems with mothers getting help from the state. After all, they are raising the future of the country, the kids that will sooner or later pay for the infrastructure etc. that we all use. In most Western countries they will also finance the pensions of retired people, so it is a give and take, a cycle.
Plus, in most Western countries one's pension depends directly on one's contributions earlier in life. That's why in many European countries for instance a lot of retired women get way lower pensions than men, simply because they did not work for years when raising kids (a difficult task they don't even get paid for). I think it is only fair to compensate for that...
I have huge problem with that. If they take government's money, shouldn't we taxpayers expect to see some results? Maybe higher percentages of children growing up as better citizens and paying more taxes? In reality, they just get a blank check without any obligation.

As for the retirees, shouldn't we encourage people to save for their future instead of making our children and grand children to pay for our responsibilities?

Quote:
The only ones I have a problem with are parents who have lots of kids, for instance for religious reasons. I don't like that Afghan approach where every mom has a dozen kids
I don't care how many children any parents have as long as they don't use other people's money to pay for it.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
We are all going to get old (if we are lucky) and die. Society needs children to survive - at a selfish level you will need someone to attend to your adult diapers and medical needs.
LOL. How many children are changing diapers for their old parents? Their parents are all in the senior homes and they may visit once a month at best.

We will never be able to love our parents as much as we love our children.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
LOL. How many children are changing diapers for their old parents? Their parents are all in the senior homes and they may visit once a month at best.

We will never be able to love our parents as much as we love our children.

BUT whoever is changing their adult diapers is the child of someone.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:45 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Exactly, you are dependent on someone-else's kids to attend to your old age needs. Kids/the next generation are indispensable to society and society should support that through tax breaks and free education (taxpayer funded education is in most state constitutions).

Old 03-27-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
BUT whoever is changing their adult diapers is the child of someone.
Or the one needing the diaper change.

Not sure how that helps the discussion.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:47 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
That train has sailed long time ago. We have a huge problem of overpopulation - humans have long become the real threat to every other living thing on earth and have been killing off other species in a rate unseen in earth history - except for some major global natural disasters.

In reality, we need to go down 1/10 of the population to be reasonable.

People want to have kids have never thought about humanity. They want to have children because this one selfish reason - passing on their own genes.

I have huge problem with that. If they take government's money, shouldn't we taxpayers expect to see some results? Maybe higher percentages of children growing up as better citizens and paying more taxes? In reality, they just get a blank check without any obligation.

As for the retirees, shouldn't we encourage people to save for their future instead of making our children and grand children to pay for our responsibilities?

I don't care how many children any parents have as long as they don't use other people's money to pay for it.

Overpopulation is not that simple. Look at Europe, we have too few kids here. It takes 2.1 kids per woman for a society to maintain its size. Some countries here are closer to 1 kid per woman. Overpopulation in Nigeria or wherever does not change the situation here because there is no large-scale transfer.

I don't think there are many parents who think of genes when they have kids. In some cases it's mere accidents for instance. For the longest time sex and procreation went hand in hand.

Nor is it egoism in a negative way. I think most human parents are doing their best to give procreation a human side.

The government spends so much taxpayer money on all kinds of things. For instance, I am very anti-military. But does anyone care? No, the government spends billions of taxpayer money on the military. I prefer they spend it on normal citizens.

The state/government has always been a redistribution system, that tradition goes back thousands of years.

Old 03-27-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Overpopulation is not that simple. Look at Europe, we have too few kids here. It takes 2.1 kids per woman for a society to maintain its size. Some countries here are closer to 1 kid per woman. Overpopulation in Nigeria or wherever does not change the situation here because there is no large-scale transfer.

I don't think there are many parents who think of genes when they have kids. In some cases it's mere accidents for instance. For the longest time sex and procreation went hand in hand.

Nor is it egoism in a negative way. I think most human parents are doing their best to give procreation a human side.

The government spends so much taxpayer money on all kinds of things. For instance, I am very anti-military. But does anyone care? No, the government spends billions of taxpayer money on the military. I prefer they spend it on normal citizens.

The state/government has always been a redistribution system, that tradition goes back thousands of years.
The military at least benefits us all. Who does tax credits, school tax etc. for children benefit? Only their parents.

If we consider the terrible effects we have done to other animals and lives, having children is a really bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies