Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 12:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,525,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
People who consider themselves to be above others (because of IQ, socioeconomic status, etc.) will have a harder time finding the 'ideal' partner (if they ever do), whereas if you're on the bottom then you probably don't care who you reproduce with.

On the other hand, I don't think it's particularly intelligent to not reproduce. What exactly is the point of that kind of life? You get to have a lot of experiences, make a lot of money... and then you die and nobody cares anymore. Meanwhile the people with children have ensured their genetic material will see the future... even if they're forgotten a few generations later, they still have someone who looks and probably behaves like them walking around witnessing things the stuck up high IQ people couldn't have imagined.

Things like money and success and travel are actually pretty small in the grand scheme of things, but the upper classes are obsessed. Even if they do have a higher IQ, they're not wise.
What makes you think everyone cares about being remembered and leaving their genetic material behind? Some people just want to enjoy the world for themselves and die. There is nothing wrong with that either.

Personally.. I will not live a lower quality of life just to pass my genes on. To me that is idiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 12:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
This is a question that's been puzzling me for years. This isn't an American phenomenon. You will find this phenomenon manifest itself everywhere in the world. Economically disadvantaged people always have higher fertility rates. Why?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory

"The focus upon either increased quantity of offspring at the expense of individual parental investment, r-strategists, or reduced quantity of offspring with a corresponding increased parental investment, K-strategists, varies widely, seemingly to promote success in particular environments."

translation :

Within a species, organisms in a high-stress, low-resource environment tend to produce more offspring and invest less in each of them. (Because instinct tells them that few will survive.)

Organisms in low-stress, high-resource environments tend to produce fewer offspring and invest more in each one. (Because instinct tells them that each will survive.)

Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,562,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R/K_selection_theory

"The focus upon either increased quantity of offspring at the expense of individual parental investment, r-strategists, or reduced quantity of offspring with a corresponding increased parental investment, K-strategists, varies widely, seemingly to promote success in particular environments."

translation :

Within a species, organisms in a high-stress, low-resource environment tend to produce more offspring and invest less in each of them. (Because instinct tells them that few will survive.)

Organisms in low-stress, high-resource environments tend to produce fewer offspring and invest more in each one. (Because instinct tells them that each will survive.)
That would explain everything if it weren't for the fact that human beings are capable of thinking and reasoning and learning.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,766,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
That would explain everything if it weren't for the fact that human beings are capable of thinking and reasoning and learning.
Some more capable than others.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:52 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,716,592 times
Quote:

You are correct that human beings are capable of thinking and reasoning and learning. Trouble is....many of them don't think much, don't reason at all and stop learning far to early in life.

I know quite a number of them :-) I used to try to help them out more than I probably should have. The logic being, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig when you're done.....and it will end up pissing you both off while you're doing it.

I can show you how something is properly done if you're willing to learn, but I cannot teach you how to reason or think very easily. You're either born with critical thinking skills......or you're not. Doesn't mean you're a bad person....but you're likely to have a difficult life.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:01 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
This is a question that's been puzzling me for years. This isn't an American phenomenon. You will find this phenomenon manifest itself everywhere in the world. Economically disadvantaged people always have higher fertility rates. Why?
1. Bad decision making - the same reason why they are poor. Don't think of the future. Live for today.

2. Because their governments incentivize having children. The more kids you have, the more handout money you get. Or, in some cases, the government encourages it with incentives to replenish the population. Book recommendation: What To Expect When No One's Expecting.
http://www.amazon.com/What-Expect-Wh.../dp/1594037310

3. Anchor babies benefit.

4. The son culture: keep having babies until you produce a son.

5. Evolution theory - More poor kids likely to die, have more to ensure some have a chance to survive.

6. Gives women who don't want to work an excuse to stay home.

7. No access to birth control.

8. They came from a large family themselves and liked it.

9. See the kids as additional workers to help with business like farming, begging, etc.

10. It's something they can do without an education.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:30 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,411,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
One of the reasons for a high birth rate in poorer nations is the extremley high mortality rate and lower life span.
I almost added those points. they are certainly valid.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:00 AM

26,562 posts, read 15,132,263 times
Quote:
Andy Rooney of 60 minutes was fired for stating almost the exact same thing.
I am not a Trump supporter, but that is a large part of his appeal - he doesn't adhere to PC BS.

To be fully PC compliant, you must deny science.

-Deny the science that much of one's IQ is determined by DNA.

-Deny the science that some personality traits are determined by DNA.

etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies