Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:47 PM

305 posts, read 180,011 times

Advertisements

You assume that all employers are willing to view their employees as humans, and not a dent in their bottom line. I've worked for low wage at a huge faceless corporation, I worked so hard they wanted to give me promotion - for the same pay. More responsibility with no added benefits. I stopped working hard.

I left that job and got one with a company that treated me as a human, but had that been after 2008 I would have been trapped in that job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 05:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 253valerie View Post
You assume that all employers are willing to view their employees as humans, and not a dent in their bottom line. I've worked for low wage at a huge faceless corporation, I worked so hard they wanted to give me promotion - for the same pay. More responsibility with no added benefits. I stopped working hard.

I left that job and got one with a company that treated me as a human, but had that been after 2008 I would have been trapped in that job.
I always assume that my employer views me as nothing more than a line item charge on an Excel spreadsheet. It doesn't mean the leaders of the company are bad people -- they're just doing what's best for the company, which is their objective. My objective is to do what's best for myself.

Nobody forced me to join any of the companies I have been employed by.

You made the right decision. Companies are going to do what's best for themselves. If the employee doesn't think they are being fairly compensated, the best course of action is to look elsewhere.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Im sick and tired of hearing low wage workers complaining and asking for a higher minimum wage. Customer service is a joke. Whenever I have to interact with low wage workers, it just reminds me how lazy our low wage workers have gotten. What ever happened to working hard and moving up? We should LOWER the minimum wage to remind these people they need to work harder, NOT whine for government handouts.
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how the economy works. If you're not fortunate enough to be in the right job role (and no, we can't all be doctors and engineers), then your skills are not valued highly. If that's the case, if you're a janitor, you can mop, scrub, mop every waking hour with all your might until your body is broken down, and you're still not going to be paid much per hour.

Again, there are far fewer high paid roles to be filled than there are workers in the US, so even if everyone breaks their back, not everyone will be in a highly paid role.

So should we always allow that portion of people to simply starve?

That said, I agree that minimum wage shouldn't be raised. All that does is inventive automation/offshoring, which will put people out of work entirely. $5 an hour is better than $0, especially since being unemployed long enough makes people unemployable.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:19 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
You think service is bad now? Lower their wages and see if service improves. Oh and enjoy the soup, it has fresh urine in it.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:25 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
I guess you've never been to Motor Vehicles or a social security office? They're not exactly customer service oriented.
They don't have to be customer oriented. There are no customers. There is no motive for profit. It's government. Wait until they get more involved in health care.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:29 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Im sick and tired of hearing low wage workers complaining and asking for a higher minimum wage. Customer service is a joke. Whenever I have to interact with low wage workers, it just reminds me how lazy our low wage workers have gotten. What ever happened to working hard and moving up? We should LOWER the minimum wage to remind these people they need to work harder, NOT whine for government handouts.
Doesn't really work that way anymore. Can work like dog// no longer work up the ladder. Now they grab some college kid to be your boss knows shyte about the business you worked at 10 yrs. get out more into 2016 in the real world.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:34 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I always assume that my employer views me as nothing more than a line item charge on an Excel spreadsheet. It doesn't mean the leaders of the company are bad people -- they're just doing what's best for the company, which is their objective. My objective is to do what's best for myself.

Nobody forced me to join any of the companies I have been employed by.

You made the right decision. Companies are going to do what's best for themselves. If the employee doesn't think they are being fairly compensated, the best course of action is to look elsewhere.
Nobody forced you. Yey you had opportunity / those are gone you scramble fir whatever you can. My present job/ 400 candidates applied. Grace of God I got it... I know people who applied great qualifications . It was simply in the cards.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:38 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Spoken like someone who doesn't understand how the economy works. If you're not fortunate enough to be in the right job role (and no, we can't all be doctors and engineers), then your skills are not valued highly. If that's the case, if you're a janitor, you can mop, scrub, mop every waking hour with all your might until your body is broken down, and you're still not going to be paid much per hour.

Again, there are far fewer high paid roles to be filled than there are workers in the US, so even if everyone breaks their back, not everyone will be in a highly paid role.

So should we always allow that portion of people to simply starve?

That said, I agree that minimum wage shouldn't be raised. All that does is inventive automation/offshoring, which will put people out of work entirely. $5 an hour is better than $0, especially since being unemployed long enough makes people unemployable.
Your last paragraph is 100% correct. It's important to note that the skills gained from many low paying jobs result from having a job itself, as opposed to the day to day duties of the job (which are fairly routine). It's a good opportunity to show your work ethic, show up on time, dress properly, learn how to deal with supervisors and customers, etc. It's also an opportunity to meet people who may help you find your next job.

Just keeping a basic job for some length of time will make someone far more eligible for better jobs than if they had not been working during that time.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The 50% percentile wage in this country is $17/hr. (2014 BLS OES, latest available year).
Half the workers in this country are making more than double the minimum wage. That makes it pretty likely to eventually make a highly paid role throughout your career.

Incidentally, first-line janitorial supervisors made a median wage of $17.44/hr. If your hard work as a janitor leads to even a single promotion, you suddenly have a very well paying role.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:45 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySofiaLila View Post
Instead of raising the minimum wage to $15 / hour, why not invest that in training people to learn some kind of valuable trade or skill so they can rise up out of that crappy job into something better or higher paying?
Many of them don't want to put in the effort. If they were willing to work there are ways they could get the training for nothing. About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected

If someone doesn't like their minimum wage job (I'd expect very few do) they should put in the effort to learn skills worth more than minimum wage. They may not love their new job either but at least they'd be paid more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies