Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 09:05 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Don't we already have this? My niece when in the third or fourth grade was learning basic Algebra, how many kids in the inner city know basic Algebra when they graduate?

If you are going to help these kids you aren't going to do it through schools alone, their environment needs to change. In the meantime with vouchers you can extract those kids from that environment who have parents that have taken an interest in their education.
My kids have always been in public schools. My son went to an inner city 99% black school. They also are learning algebra concepts in the primary years. My daughter has had homework in 1st grade with algebra concepts.

I graduated from an inner city urban school. I took Algebra I in 7th grade. My last math class in high school was Calculus II.

I already stated that my nephews utilize vouchers. I have nothing against vouchers at all and I am supportive of all sorts of school choice including private, charters, and homeschooling.

Only point is, for one, private school is not cheaper. See my figures above.

Also, private schools do not accept all children. Are all of you saying that children with LDs or special needs should not have access to school?

Private schools have better metrics because they do not accept all types of students (not racially either, I mean special needs, learning disabilities, abused children, ESL students, and various other types of kids are not accepted due to private schools not offering services for these children or because they will bring down the educational statistics).

Also, all private schools are not better than all public schools. Many of you take a one-sided approach. In middle to upper income neighborhoods, public schools rival the performance of private ones. In lower income neighborhoods where I live, the public schools are just as good as the private ones in poor neighborhoods. Especially in regards to Catholic schools, those in poor neighborhoods, many times have much lower statistics versus those in wealthier neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 09:08 AM

Also, I will state, again, that the OP does not have children and does not know what is offered in his/her public district. Not sure if you have children either coalman, but schools today are not like they were in the 70s,80s, and 90s.

Bentbow seems to have children since he/she did state that public schools in wealthier districts are just like private schools today. This is the truth. Those of you without children just don't want to see or admit this.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
My kids have always been in public schools. My son went to an inner city 99% black school.
Would you had put him in a better learning environment if given the chance?

Old 04-05-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Would you had put him in a better learning environment if given the chance?
I did put him in a better learning environment. He went to a charter school that was also 99% black lol.

It was better than the Friends school IMO. Six kids per class and he had the same teachers for 3 years. He is now in a very large high school which I described above, which is also a public school.

I am not afraid of looking for options. Also, I am not poor and I have more than enough money to send both of my kids to the best Catholic schools in our city. I chose not to after seeing what the public schools offer. I grew up in the district and even though I don't think I had a bad education, I do feel the district offers much more today than it did. I wish they had my son's high school here when I was in high school.

ETA: Wanted to mention that I am not poor and that I could easily afford to send my kids to a private Catholic school in particular. I could do the NAIS school as well but it would be a financial burden. I don't because I don't feel that the Catholic schools in particular offer anything substantial to my kids. I do like our NAIS school, as stated, but I am not willing to take a gamble with that much money. I personally have known too many parents who paid for private school to not have their kids amount to much and I would be extremely upset if I paid $50k for my kids to go to school and they ended up not doing anything extraordinary.

Also, again, I am for school choice and I have no problem with vouchers either. I just know for a fact that not all private schools are better than all public schools. Also that if you have a kid with special needs or behavioral issues, that your kid will be more likely to be thrown out of private schools.

I do feel that they offer a better classroom environment in regards to student distractions due to the ability of private, charter, and magnet public schools to throw out problem students. But IMO that is their only plus over a regular public school for the most part. If inner-city and rural schools could throw out all their problem kids, they would have much better statistics.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 04-05-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 04-05-2016, 09:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
The Catholic schools are on par or slightly better than public schools but they are doing it for less money.

Reason: There is accountability. No Unions. Under performing get replaced.
Teachers and office administrations get paid better too, because they have no big bureaucracy taking "other peoples money"(School district and superintendents) to suck money/funds from the actual education of the kids....

Old 04-05-2016, 09:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
In higher education, the same is also becoming a reality, as Government has taken over paying and subsidizing public colleges.

Private colleges are becoming cheaper than public, with the students getting a better education.

My daughter will be attending private college @ $18,200 a year, and better job placement, compared to the big public University, at $42,000 a year. Same degree.

Old 04-05-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In higher education, the same is also becoming a reality, as Government has taken over paying and subsidizing public colleges.

Private colleges are becoming cheaper than public, with the students getting a better education.

My daughter will be attending private college @ $18,200 a year, and better job placement, compared to the big public University, at $42,000 a year. Same degree.
All public colleges have always been susbsidized and paid for by the government. That is why they are public.

It all depends on which schools one looks at in the university level as well.

As stated, I lived in Atlanta. Georgia Tech is a publically funded college and for 2015-2016 the tuition is $6,102. Emory University is private. Their tuition is $45,700.

Those are just for tuition. In most areas, depending on the college/university, public is still cheaper that private.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:16 AM

3 posts, read 2,175 times
I agree with mr. retroit. there are nice discussion about education.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:32 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Another plank in the platform of the Idiot Right to turn the US into a Third World country. Name all the First World countries that don't have free, universal public education.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:09 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
FYI, in most localities, school taxes are paid via property tax, not income.

In the locality I live in, I pay $1200 a year in taxes on the home I live in (I own others BTW that I rent, and all of them are almost the same amount so I pay a lot to our school system in property tax payments).

Of that $1200 a year for my residence, only about $400 of it per year goes to our school system.
My home in suburban Chicago... $19,000 annual property tax bill. And other homes in that neighborhood are similarly taxed. On my block of my street, alone, the annual property tax bill ranges from $12,000 (old-school 1940s, small 3-bedroom 1.5 bath, Chicago-style brick bungalow) to $28,000 (5-6 bedroom early 2000s "McMansion"). 72% of that goes to the local public school district.

I currently live in a similarly valued/assessed home in another state, and the annual property tax bill is $6,200, so I'm not seeing why an additional ~$13,000/year in property tax is necessary in Illinois, except for the blatant political corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies