Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:39 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,571,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I give Ivana props tho..At least she admits that lower class folks are needed..but doesn't address their ability to subsist in "Society"...but then again..that's something so far and away from her brain cell ability to empathize with THEIR PLIGHT..but KNOWS only her need for them ( as does her father)

Ivana is Trump's ex-wife, not his daughter.

Trump has been married 3 times and has fathered 5 children by those 3 women, including his daughter Ivanka.

Ivana is Ivanka's mother.

Unless of course you are saying that the general public is currently familiar with Ivana's father....but I doubt you are saying that considering that he died in 1990.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I never see kids doing chores, most probably have no idea what the word means. I use to have to do them without pay, I got to ride my horse after I was done.
Some kids still do chores. One of my relatives is an affluent single mom. When her daughter was very little, she (the mom) did the chores so her daughter could see her do them. As her daughter got old enough (she's 14 now), one by one, she assigned the chores to her daughter. When her daughter was 6, they went on a cruise in another country. A few months before the cruise, the mom printed out a blank monthly calendar. She wrote out 2-3 reasonable extra chores for each day of that month that needed to be completed on those days. She told her daughter that all of them needed to be completed, and completed on those scheduled days, or she wouldn't earn the privilege of going on the cruise. They just wouldn't go. All of the chores listed on that calendar page were completed on time, and they went on the cruise.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
My moms first job was cleaning hotel rooms. She wasn't an immigrant. These are not career jobs, but are good to have available to legal workers who are just starting out or to fall back on if unemployed.
Yep. A past girlfriend of mine cleaned houses while she was going to community college. She wasn't a recent immigrant (family came to the U.S. in the 19th century, IIRC). She ended up earning a PhD in Physics from a University of California campus.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:54 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,623,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
blm.
Black Lives Matter didn't exist until 2 years ago at most so they didn't do those jobs.
Immigrants have done those jobs as long as there has been an America.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:25 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,477,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What nonsense. Many if not most Americans (unless they are well off) do all these things themselves. Many that do hire people for these jobs do so because they work long hours and like to spend time with their families also. It's not about laziness but freeing up their time for more important things.
In my experience, it's not nonsense. I worked with more than a few people who worked for the most part a 40 hour work week and they still still hired people to clean their house. More than a few didn't have kids and were younger/young able bodied people. I'm surrounded in a neighborhood by people who do the same for landscaping and house cleaning and know one couple where one spouse doesn't work yet they hire a landscaper for basic yard work and house cleaning. And often these are the same people who complain to me/others that they don't have any money. Can't make this stuff up. Look at our savings rate and you'll know this is reality/I'm not making this up.

Yes, more time for the "important things" no doubt, internet/texting/tv watching and posting on CD no doubt. And yes, "important" is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I still define it as lazy.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 PM

11,844 posts, read 5,823,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
In my experience, it's not nonsense. I worked with more than a few people who worked for the most part a 40 hour work week and they still still hired people to clean their house. More than a few didn't have kids and were younger/young able bodied people. I'm surrounded in a neighborhood by people who do the same for landscaping and house cleaning and know one couple where one spouse doesn't work yet they hire a landscaper for basic yard work and house cleaning. And often these are the same people who complain to me/others that they don't have any money. Can't make this stuff up. Look at our savings rate and you'll know this is reality/I'm not making this up.

Yes, more time for the "important things" no doubt, internet/texting/tv watching and posting on CD no doubt. And yes, "important" is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I still define it as lazy.

Although many of my neighbors also have yard services and snow removal - something I just can't afford - these companies are private white individuals who do not use immigrants. But many in the neighborhood are like myself - where we cut our own grass and shovel our own snow.

I am sure where some of these posters live - many in CA - they may see more workers of hispanic decent doing many of these jobs - but many of these people are long removed from the immigrant status and actually own their own companies that provide these services and hire others of their heritage to give them a start in America.

Unless you grew up in a prosperous family - many of us have not had the privilege of not doing chores or menial work and having others do it for us.

As for the poster who pays her cleaning lady $20-$30 an hour - I'll take that job - nothing is beneath me and that's 2 - 3x as much as I'm making an hour now.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:50 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,429,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Proof positive that YOU DIDN'T READ A WORD OF THE ARTICLE. It is an extensive investigative news report by Buzzfeed, the Millennial-focused (and in no way right-wing) site on legal immigrants not undocumented workers. They will still work cheaper and condone crappy, barely legal conditions. Black Americans in the South have been devastated as well as Midwestern whites in everything from picking produce to Christmas tree harvesting to corn tasseling to horse stablery.

My goodness. You will say anything to kill American jobs and keep illegals' feet on our necks!

The agriculture industry is experiencing labor shortages!

Why is this not sinking in? They need workers right now, so why aren't these devastated American citizens stepping in to fill the void? Don't they need the work?

Illegals are not killing jobs in this industry because there are jobs available! Don't give me this crap excuse that farmers won't hire them--when you're in need of workers, you hire, period.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:37 PM

29,527 posts, read 22,704,392 times
When you do a search on whether Americans are willing to do work such as farm labor, link after link shows many of them are unwilling to do so.

Few Americans take immigrants' jobs in Alabama - CBS News

And it's not about 'proper' wages either. Hard workers can earn 2-300 dollars per day, most certainly not slave wages.

Problem is, not many want to do the backbreaking work.

And not many Americans want to see a higher increase in end cost of produce to the end user.

Which is ironic, since some of the same people that decry raising the minimum wage in general because it increases costs and hurt businesses, think nothing of raising the wages for farm labor in the mythical belief that it will magically motivate more Americans to take up picking crops.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:43 PM

39,245 posts, read 27,645,276 times
In all fairness, the corporate media just wants to keep any of you entertained. They don't care about real issues.

ivana also stated

“But if they [come] here — like this 19-year-old, she’s pregnant, she crossed over a wall that’s this high. She gives birth in American hospital, which is for free. The child becomes American automatically,” she said. “She brings the whole family, she doesn’t pay the taxes, she doesn’t have a job, she gets housing, she gets the food stamps. Who’s paying? You and me.”

But the media just focused on these words and these words only

"clean for us" "immigrants clean after us."

Bottom line is that you either have a law, or you don't. You pick.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,920,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

The agriculture industry is experiencing labor shortages!

Why is this not sinking in? They need workers right now, so why aren't these devastated American citizens stepping in to fill the void? Don't they need the work?

Illegals are not killing jobs in this industry because there are jobs available! Don't give me this crap excuse that farmers won't hire them--when you're in need of workers, you hire, period.
So wages go UP to hire Americans or legal aliens, I don't see the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies