Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be allowed
NO 109 64.50%
YES 60 35.50%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:30 PM

68,349 posts, read 54,477,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Yeah, that's pretty similar. [/sarcasm]
I've heard more than enough stories of PayPal's poor treatment of its users to know that them mystically developing concern for people is a crock of poop. Just like Hobby Lobby.

Quote:
Oh yeah, they also said something like "No local laws may supersede this state law".

That IS going pretty far in allowing discrimination.
According to an article in The Washington Post, "The impact of these laws is clear though. In North Carolina, for instance, the immediate effect will be to make LGBT discrimination legal again in Charlotte"

That IS going pretty far in allowing discrimination, I'm sure the RW is very pleased, the left will be pleased when NC's current Governor is made a one-termer.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:35 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,562,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
According to an article in The Washington Post, "The impact of these laws is clear though. In North Carolina, for instance, the immediate effect will be to make LGBT discrimination legal again in Charlotte"

That IS going pretty far in allowing discrimination, I'm sure the RW is very pleased, the left will be pleased when NC's current Governor is made a one-termer.
Cite ONE actual part of the law that makes this possible.

Just because the Washington post is promoting a falsehood, doesn't make it true.

Furthermore, this law has NOTHING to do with the LBG's at all.
It ONLY affects the T part of that acronym, but don't let the facts stand in the way of fear mongering.

Discrimination is coming again SOON.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:54 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,518,748 times
Quote:
IF that was as far as it went there'd likely be much less of an uproar. As it is it goes much further in allowing other forms of discrimination.
I just can't bring myself to put bathroom facilities on my list of issues to care much about. If that's the part of the NC law causing the blowback, it's more an indication of how desperate people are to find issues. otoh, I understand the NC law bans cities like Charlotte from adopting local anti-discrimination ordinances. That to me is worth the bad pr and negative reaction.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:00 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,562,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I just can't bring myself to put bathroom facilities on my list of issues to care much about. If that's the part of the NC law causing the blowback, it's more an indication of how desperate people are to find issues. otoh, I understand the NC law bans cities like Charlotte from adopting local anti-discrimination ordinances. That to me is worth the bad pr and negative reaction.

Blatantly FALSE.

That is the narrative being pushed but it is absolutely not true.

I'll challenge anyone to find where in the bill it states any such thing.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:02 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,560,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
I mean if PayPal wants to not be in NC due to the law, more power to them. Why are you all getting so butt hurt about it?

If a business wants to stop doing business in a state or city, it has all the power too as do you have the ability to stop buying stuff from them. Not sure why some of you are getting so sensitive about it.

I guess now you know how it would feel if a law, like the one in Mississippi, allows for businesses to discriminate against LGBT people......pot meet kettle.
exactly

discriminate if you want, but put your big boy pants on and accept the consequences.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:13 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,142,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Can...

This is not life or death, so I will give some time to change course. Sometimes the company will get pressure from customers and change course. I will add my two cents in and see what happens.

I am OK for people holding to different positions, but if they take the initiative to adjust their practices to prove a point, then I can do likewise.
So you're ok with discriminating against gays and transsexuals?

I would bet the vast majority of Paypal's customers are against discrimination..

Old 04-05-2016, 02:13 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,714,059 times
Quote:
I've heard more than enough stories of PayPal's poor treatment of its users to know that them mystically developing concern for people is a crock of poop. Just like Hobby Lobby.

That's a parsing of words, and it won't happen. The law only deals with Transgenders. And it's NOT discrimination. It's common sense.

Quote:
Blatantly FALSE.

That is the narrative being pushed but it is absolutely not true.

I'll challenge anyone to find where in the bill it states any such thing.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,560,374 times
it's pretty safe to say that MS is off the list for an alternative place for PP to expand!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mississip...163951696.html

Old 04-05-2016, 02:16 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Good for Pay Pal. More businesses need to step up and vacate NC that is run by religious zealots. I guess North Carolina is have a bad week.
Does it really take a religious zealot to want people
that are anatomically male to use the men's room?

Lemme guess, you don't have a daughter.

Old 04-05-2016, 02:21 PM

4,586 posts, read 3,416,115 times
Quote:
And they're owned by Ebay.
Not any more, they officially split many months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies