Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2016, 05:25 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times

Advertisements

1. When hiring for a position, diversity should only level the playing field. If there is a minority candidate and a non minority candidate the only consideration should be that they are both judged on their merits and their minority or non-minority status should not even factor into the decision. It should never be a case of looking at an organization and saying "we don't have enough minorities represented here so let's make a concerted effort to hire more". They SHOULD be saying: "let's be totally colorblind and hire the very best person for the job".

That could mean that you have a majority of minorities working or hardly any but what you DON'T do is feel you need to have some acceptable ratio and skew the hiring process until you meet it.
That is TOKENISM, not diversity!

2. If diversity is so wonderful, why is there no diversity of thought?
Especially on colleges and universities! It seems the ONLY acceptable point of view is the liberal or progressive point of view. They don't even want to be EXPOSED to alternative points of view or have their own challenged in any way.
Why don't the benefits of diversity extend to ideas, politics and philosophies as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 05:31 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
And the argument against that is minorities face too many challenges when trying to achieve things the majority do like finish HS, go to college, have a family, have no criminal background, etc.

The way the left sees it is they never had a fighting chance and at least with quotas they have a fighting chance even if they lost everything battle their entire lives.

Not saying I agree or disagree, just that I understand.

White privilege has been the mantra these days. I agree, there's a privilege but it goes to any majority, not just whites. I'm sure there would be yellow privilege if China ever integrates with the rest of the world and starts to look like America with its diversity.

They still see it all as a race and no matter what you do with affirmative action minorities always have an arm or leg tied behind their backs because they're not the majority.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:25 PM

50,827 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
1. When hiring for a position, diversity should only level the playing field. If there is a minority candidate and a non minority candidate the only consideration should be that they are both judged on their merits and their minority or non-minority status should not even factor into the decision. It should never be a case of looking at an organization and saying "we don't have enough minorities represented here so let's make a concerted effort to hire more". They SHOULD be saying: "let's be totally colorblind and hire the very best person for the job".

That could mean that you have a majority of minorities working or hardly any but what you DON'T do is feel you need to have some acceptable ratio and skew the hiring process until you meet it.
That is TOKENISM, not diversity!

2. If diversity is so wonderful, why is there no diversity of thought?
Especially on colleges and universities! It seems the ONLY acceptable point of view is the liberal or progressive point of view. They don't even want to be EXPOSED to alternative points of view or have their own challenged in any way.
Why don't the benefits of diversity extend to ideas, politics and philosophies as well?
1. Conceptually, that may make sense. The problem comes with that the merits of candidates is a very subjective thing. For example, let's say you have a school with a large population, perhaps even majority population of Blacks or Latinos...but all White teachers. Then, the ability to relate to students of different ethnicities becomes an important "merit".

2. You've got to be kidding me. In my years at universities, I had any number of professors who were quite conservative. When I took my course in school finance, we spent the whole semester hearing about the joys of Reaganomics, and virtually nothing about school finance.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
One time I considered becoming a business major. Then I realized there were ten courses on "business theory" and "capitalism" for every one on accounting or actual management. I decided studying the Sciences as related to the environment was more interesting if not as lucrative.

Old 04-06-2016, 02:49 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Diversity only works when you have stagnation and lack of creativity and change will help.

Change for the sake of change is doomed to fail. Like most diversity programs have failed.

Diversity has ruined many good companies and their cultures. Contracting out work, outsourcing are two results of companies being saddled with unqualified, agenda driven, sue happy workers.

Again, liberals ruin everything they touch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies