Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:48 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
How does the second amendment not protect Semi autos but the first protects the Internet?
Because the supreme court said so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 04:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
A .22 is a semi automatic so what is your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Like most people who wonder why other people do or don't need certain types of firearms, my guess is you have a very poor understanding of what a semi-automatic firearm actually is.
Excuse me for not being a gun expert. Seems to me any normal handgun would do the job just fine (for self-defense).

Old 04-18-2016, 04:22 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In the first amendment, the "freedom of speech" only means verbal speech and the "press" means printing press. Since the founders could never imagine today's mass media, all, including the Internet, shall be banned.
By that logic I guess they couldn't imagine firearms (which by the way the 2nd doesn't mention) beyond Revolutionary War weapons so I guess all others should be banned?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
walk around out here sometime and you might just see a need for a semi-auto. also if you believe that, then take away all semi-autos from the civilian LEO's, federal LEO's and military 1st.
Where on earth do you live that someone visiting would immediately think, "omg I need a semi-auto, STAT". San Pedro Sula?

Again, I'm not saying that any type of gun legal today should be banned. I'm for the 2nd amendment.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:36 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Both should be protected. I'm not disputing that.

Now, I'm not exactly sure *why* a normal everyday civilian needs a semi-automatic... o_O But it should indeed be protected.
I'm not going to give you a hard time. You have a right to be conflicted re: specific types of fire arms. It's a free country. And I recognize that you support the 2A.

Having said all of that, the Constitution is very clear and no American citizen who is lawfully permitted to own a firearm needs to justify their gun-buying or gun-owning decisions to anyone.

In this country we have the legal right to choose NOT to own guns. We also have have the legal right to own guns.

Unless you live in a few commie-states, but they don't count.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I'm not going to give you a hard time. You have a right to be conflicted re: specific types of fire arms. It's a free country. And I recognize that you support the 2A.

Having said all of that, the Constitution is very clear and no American citizen who is lawfully permitted to own a firearm needs to justify their gun-buying or gun-owning decisions to anyone.

In this country we have the legal right to choose NOT to own guns. We also have have the legal right to own guns.

Unless you live in a few commie-states, but they don't count.
Fair enough. I'm just curious.

Not that it'd matter for me anyway, living in California. Here, you'd be criminally prosecuted for defending yourself with a butter knife.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:51 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,250,708 times
Quote:
Where on earth do you live that someone visiting would immediately think, "omg I need a semi-auto, STAT". San Pedro Sula?

Again, I'm not saying that any type of gun legal today should be banned. I'm for the 2nd amendment.
You can fire a double action revolver just as fast as you can fire a double action semi-auto pistol. So what's the problem with a semi-auto that you seem to imply?
Not all semi-autos have high capacity. Take for example a SIG 237, it has a 7 round mag, plus one in the chamber equals 8 rounds, that is only two round more than a six-shot revolver.

One advantage is you can load a semi-auto faster, if you know what you are doing.

I carry a full size semi-auto with 15 rounds (14 in the mag/1 in the pipe), it is easier to carry and easier to conceal than my 6-round, 4" barrel revolver.

And if you might need six, you might just need 14 or more.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:58 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
One advantage is you can load a semi-auto faster, if you know what you are doing.
If you know what you're doing and use speed loaders or moon clips you can reload that revolver just as fast. Which is why it's a meaningless distinction.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:03 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Excuse me for not being a gun expert. Seems to me any normal handgun would do the job just fine (for self-defense).
Geeezus

A normal handgun is semi-auto.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 PM

50,295 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Fair enough. I'm just curious.

Not that it'd matter for me anyway, living in California. Here, you'd be criminally prosecuted for defending yourself with a butter knife.
Well, the scope of it is surely smaller. Basically, the only way you can legally shoot someone in CA is if you are cornered in a room with no exit. Even if your house is on fire and a cannibal is eating your kids.

Well, not quite that bad but close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies