Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's a right for the citizens, and requiring an ID doesn't take that away.
No election has even been lost because of voter fraud. So what's the real reason for an ID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 10:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Voting is a right, I thought you were a strict constitutionalist.
Where in the Constitution does it say an ID is not required to vote?

Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,598,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Requiring poor people to pay for an ID is equal to a "poll tax" and as such, it does take that right away.

Hey, if these states are willing to offer free picture IDs to residents, I'm fine with the requirement.

Let's be honest, we all know these requirements have nothing to do with voter fraud and are all about disenfranchisement.

Look at Texas.

Their law allowed for concealed carry permits to be used as identification, but not college IDs. Explain to me how that is not disenfranchisement.

Why would we ever want to prevent college students from using their student ID to vote? Could it be because many of them won't vote for the people making the law?

And while you are at it, please show me where voter fraud has been committed by people using college IDs and never by someone using a concealed carry permit.
A Texas handgun license is issued by the Department of Public Safety, the same department that issues identification or licenses to drive. I assume they require the same paperwork (birth certificate and proof of residency). To get a student ID, you have to register for college. They accept foreign students and those here illegally. It's not proof of eligibility for anything but the college.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:36 PM

21,487 posts, read 10,598,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No election has even been lost because of voter fraud. So what's the real reason for an ID
How do you know that?

Old 08-02-2016, 10:45 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
How do you know that?
Seriously? You think thousands of people or more committed voter fraud to rig an election. It's up to you to tell me though since you want everyone to have an ID.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:47 AM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's a right for the citizens, and requiring an ID doesn't take that away.
Yes it does, the courts just ruled on that issue.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:41 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,477,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes it does, the courts just ruled on that issue.
Sweet. Let me go skip that handgun permit, right? Because until the courts actually remove their heads from their posterior and make rulings that only apply one way then change their mind when they don't agree with that right.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:06 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Sweet. Let me go skip that handgun permit, right? Because until the courts actually remove their heads from their posterior and make rulings that only apply one way then change their mind when they don't agree with that right.
If your middle name was spelled wrong on your birth certificate, you could still get your 'gun permit', but in many states that would keep you from getting a voter ID. THAT is the problem, if ID's were free, easy to get and made accommodations for people who don't have a birth certificate or their divorce papers from 50 years ago this would not be an issue.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:16 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post

False.

How Johnson Won Election He'd Lost - NYTimes.com

Though I do agree IDs would not have mattered in this case.

Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 AM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Where in the Constitution does it say an ID is not required to vote?

Where does it say a picture ID is required.

These states already have a process the only problem was they couldn't remove a certain demographic from the scrolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies