Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
If we eliminate insurance and replace it with universal health care, that will provide accessibility for all, but like ACA, it still does not solve the high cost problem. High costs have not come down through competition. It requires government oversight and cost controls to rein in high costs. But nobody wants that.
I think universal healthcare could control costs pretty well. One of my neighbors was a victim of a hit and run accident, he's on SSDI and the only insurance he has is medicare part A & B. He was transported by ambulance to the hospital, poked prodded scanned and x-rayed, 7 hours later he was released and walked out of the ER. He got a bill from the ER for $36,000 but when he got the Medicare statement they had refused to pay all but $3200 of that bill. You're right though, Universal Healthcare would never work if we allowed providers to charge whatever they want, but if we had medicare for all I think it would save all of us tons of money

Old 05-01-2016, 03:44 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times
Another thread by people who have 0 idea how health delivery operates.

Cite all the bastions of universal care in Europe... And see where innovation takes place.

Here's a clue: healthcare is insurance, not maintenance. Use it like intended, it would be cost efficient. But most that comment have never done icd 10 conversion, 5010 implementation, hipaa regulation, doi compliance, cost projection analysis, etc... I'd bet most that comment won't even know their e.o.b.

Sad indeed

Old 05-01-2016, 03:45 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,742,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think universal healthcare could control costs pretty well. One of my neighbors was a victim of a hit and run accident, he's on SSDI and the only insurance he has is medicare part A & B. He was transported by ambulance to the hospital, poked prodded scanned and x-rayed, 7 hours later he was released and walked out of the ER. He got a bill from the ER for $36,000 but when he got the Medicare statement they had refused to pay all but $3200 of that bill. You're right though, Universal Healthcare would never work if we allowed providers to charge whatever they want, but if we had medicare for all I think it would save all of us tons of money
Hit and run. That's subrogation. Clear example of not knowing how stuff works

Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Hit and run. That's subrogation. Clear example of not knowing how stuff works
Subrogate against who, the driver they never caught?

Old 05-01-2016, 04:11 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
These super cheap pre-ACA plans were a joke. There hasn't been such a thing as 'cheap healthcare' in the US in decades. My neighbor had one of those wonderful plans and when she couldn't keep it after the ACA became law she was running around with her hair on fire complaining to everyone who would listen that the ACA was robbing her and she wanted to keep her old policy.

How true. My mother had one of those and it was as close to worthless as one can get.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
I apologize, you are correct only about 20% have a household income of over 100k The median household income in 2014 was about $54,000 but that doesn't change what I am saying. Think about it for a minute. Shop rate for an auto mechanic at a dealership is around $100-$140 an hour. If you make 25k a year and you need your car fixed, do you think the dealership will only charge you 25% of the going rate? It's the same with Doctors if they have enough patients who can pay their bill they are not going to charge one cent less. I have yet to meet a doctor unless it is a charity clinic, which usually receives government subsidies, that will treat you according you how much you can afford.

You propose that doctors will only treat rich people despite the fact that they make up a small percentage of the population. Got it.

Ironically you note that car repair guys, or even car insurance, don't charge based on income, but expect lower prices for medical care.

Millions of poor people drive every day and they even have insurance. There are providers at every price point. In general, insurance has caused the cost of care to go up.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
Quote:
Essentially all medical bills that are paid for with insurance (private or Medicare) are discounted in the manner of your neighbor. National healthcare spending is $3.2 trillion per year - that is the actual costs, i.e. after discounts, not the original billed amount. That discounting is the same as Amazon's "discounts" - they are made up prices to begin with, and are no more than a beginning position to bargain the insurance company down with.

Medicare came up with $3200 because they determined that is the minimal they can get away with paying for the service and the city. They did not come up with it based on what the true value is of the service. I imagine the true value is way less than $3200.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Essentially all medical bills that are paid for with insurance (private or Medicare) are discounted in the manner of your neighbor. National healthcare spending is $3.2 trillion per year - that is the actual costs, i.e. after discounts, not the original billed amount. That discounting is the same as Amazon's "discounts" - they are made up prices to begin with, and are no more than a beginning position to bargain the insurance company down with.

Medicare came up with $3200 because they determined that is the minimal they can get away with paying for the service and the city. They did not come up with it based on what the true value is of the service. I imagine the true value is way less than $3200.
I don't disagree, but I know that if you don't have insurance or medicare you will be on the hook for whatever the hospital bills you.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You propose that doctors will only treat rich people despite the fact that they make up a small percentage of the population. Got it. Ironically you note that car repair guys, or even car insurance, don't charge based on income, but expect lower prices for medical care. Millions of poor people drive every day and they even have insurance. There are providers at every price point. In general, insurance has caused the cost of care to go up.
You missed the point I was trying to make but that's ok. Let me see if I understand you; we don't need health insurance because there are doctors who will work at every price point, if that's correct then could you back it up with something, like a list of Doctors in your area who provide $5 or $10 office visits and are not subsidized by a charity or the government.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Obamacare will fail next year, United Healthcare already announced they've stopped accepting new applicants for some of its plans already.

You can't have a system where everybody that can't afford is on the plan and the plan is partially subsidized by the govt and require others who can afford forced to pick up the tab. The people can then chose not to be insured and the insurance companies can no longer keep those plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies