Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 PM

11,284 posts, read 11,053,466 times

Advertisements

Voted YES.

I work in a safety sensitive industry (Transportation), and I had to sign a pre-employment agreement acknowledging that cannabis use is not allowed even though it is legal in the state I am employed in. I hold a graduate degree and have over a decade of experience in my industry and another 15 years in other industries.

I value my job, finances, and life in general, so I obey what I signed. I am drug free. With that being said, I believe it is none of my employers damn business what legal activities I engage in far and away off the clock on my own time. The thought that I can lose my job because some moron hits me and I test positive for THC a week after I smoke it is frustrating to me.

I would love to be able to enjoy a toke now and then, but I don't, because as soon as I engage, I would live in fear the next three weeks.

I have no intention or reason to try and fake my way through a wiz quiz. I shouldn't have to. I would never show up to work under the influence. But that is not what matters. The employer doesn't care how long ago you smoked if you test positive. The deal is sealed if you are involved in an accident, regardless of who is at fault.

Only the federal government reducing the status of marijuana from being a Schedule I drug will fix this injustice. I'm sure time will fix this issue, but until then, I follow the rules.

I know I am not alone with these feelings.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:35 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,610,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
True. However marijuana is a plant so...
So is opium...

Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 PM

30,086 posts, read 18,701,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I ran large software and engineering operations while you were growing up. We never went to drug testing for the obvious reason...we would lose all the talent. And in the 80s and 90s we would have lost all the management as well.

It is easy to check. Look for drug testing at Apple, Google, Amazon, Xerox, Microsoft, etc.

You stuck to Medicine if I remember correctly. Good because your attitude would have killed you in the more creative end of things.
"More creative things"?

Certainly there are those who are creative who have smoke pot- I don't dispute that. However, NO ONE, in my experience, given that I dealt in medicine, physics, and mathematics, was more producitve with pot vs not- NO ONE.

Some people who smoke pot may be gifted individuals with high intellect. However, thier performance in academics would be analagous to running a 100m dash with 50lbs tied to thier backs.

Here is something to ponder, as clearly you favor pot. If pot was such a "positive" for industry and academics, why would not these institutions ADVOCATE the use of pot prior to test taking, performance of experiments, and operating on live humans? Why would Colorado businesses not MANDATE pot use during work hours????? ARE YOU KIDDING?

Now.............................. as an advocate of pot, as you are, I must ask you- Woulld you prefer to have someone operating on you who is stoned or straight? Please answer that factually. I am a physician who actually perform operations. I know that there is no way in hell that I would operate on someone under the influence of pot- NO WAY. Why? There would be no way in hell I could give them my best effort.

So................................................ .... Would you prefer a surgeon stoned, or straight? Please give an objective, real answer.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:55 PM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Drug addicts are rarely productive long term.

I believe you have 'Drug addicts' confused with 'Congressmen'.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 PM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Can you drink and still be a productive member of society?
Or take Xanax?

Or Seconal?

Or Ambien?

Or Valium?

Etc., etc., etc. .................................................. ...................................

Old 04-30-2016, 07:59 PM

11,284 posts, read 11,053,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Now.............................. as an advocate of pot, as you are, I must ask you- Woulld you prefer to have someone operating on you who is stoned or straight? Please answer that factually. I am a physician who actually perform operations. I know that there is no way in hell that I would operate on someone under the influence of pot- NO WAY. Why? There would be no way in hell I could give them my best effort.
Hawkeye, I know that you addressed this to someone else, but I must ask.... Do you believe a person can be a regular (or occasional) user, yet come to work sober during the course of their job?

This question applies to alcohol use as well. Just because someone smokes (or drinks) in the evening after work doesn't mean they show up stoned (or under the influence) the next day at work.

I know many stoners don't care and are indifferent to this, but there are many responsible users (or people who would like to enjoy the benefits of marijuana) that are respectful of the laws that govern.

"Regular cannabis user" does not = being stoned at work all day.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:59 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,743,599 times
Quote:
"More creative things"?

Certainly there are those who are creative who have smoke pot- I don't dispute that. However, NO ONE, in my experience, given that I dealt in medicine, physics, and mathematics, was more producitve with pot vs not- NO ONE.

Some people who smoke pot may be gifted individuals with high intellect. However, thier performance in academics would be analagous to running a 100m dash with 50lbs tied to thier backs.

Here is something to ponder, as clearly you favor pot. If pot was such a "positive" for industry and academics, why would not these institutions ADVOCATE the use of pot prior to test taking, performance of experiments, and operating on live humans? Why would Colorado businesses not MANDATE pot use during work hours????? ARE YOU KIDDING?

So................................................ .... Would you prefer a surgeon stoned, or straight? Please give an objective, real answer.

I would rather a surgeon that smoked a joint the day before, than a surgeon that got drunk the day before and then operated with a nasty hang over..

Old 04-30-2016, 08:10 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,335,536 times
Quote:
Wow! Suprised to see the "yes" votes.
You know, if you were a stand up guy with their head on straight, with not so much pride that you can't admit when you're wrong, and had a true desire to learn and grow as you age, then you would look at the overwhelming "yes" votes and say "Hmmm, maybe my smug position isn't so smug after all". But no. We are all wrong. You are right. Isn't that the bottom line?

Well, you are wrong. Out of touch. I know, I know, you are going to come back yelling "I TREAT ADDICTS FOR A LIVING! I SEE 1000's OF PATIENTS A YEAR!!! YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!!". But you could learn something from CNN's Dr. Gupta. He was in your camp, and thought he knew what he was talking about. He decided to error on the side of caution and claim the risks outweighs the benefits of cannabis. But he wanted more answers. When he started looking into it, he researched forums like this and found that between misinformation and agendas there was no way he would get any clear answers on the Internet. He decided to go out into the field and find out for himself. Working at CNN means he had the time and means to do so.

What he discovered completely changed his mind. Too bad you can't man up and do the same thing. But I know you can't. You will go to your grave believing what you do today about cannabis.

Just a few points about the rest of your post:

Quote:
I saw high school valedictorians flunk out of college due to smoking pot on a daily basis. The same would (and was ) true of those who drank too much.
You don't know what caused their problems, don't try to say you do. Many turn to alcohol or cannabis because of internal struggles, depression, family problems, or a plethora of other reasons. It is that root issue that likely caused their problems, not the substance they turned to. If you disagree, then how do you explain the millions of long-term cannabis users that didn't fail?
Quote:
I have not seen a single individual among my peers who smokes pot - ever.
Can you not see the fallacy in that statement? Let me put it like this. If we were co-workers, I would never tell you that I used cannabis! Even if you asked me face to face, I would lie to you and say no. Don't you think your peers feel that same way? The bottom line is there are a number of them who do indeed use cannabis, but you have no way to tell. Don't tell me if they were using it you would know, because you would not. I assure you if we were coworkers there is absolutely no way you would be able to tell it.
Quote:
How in the world could you possibly think that a drug that reduces cognition, lowers inhibitions, and reduces ambitions would be beneficial???
That statement shows just how uninformed you are. Yes, there are strains that can cause those effects in some individuals. Especially if that is the effect they are seeking. But in these modern times there are 100's even 1000's of strains, and some of them have exactly the opposite effect. The problem is you are too close minded to believe that someone can use it to actually derive motivation, energy, focus, and creativity. That is the absolute truth, and I don't care if you don't accept it.
Quote:
Don't kid yourself- if you are a pot head, you are not achieving your potential. Further, think of the example you are presenting to your kids- shame on you. Don't be a drunk or pot head in front of your kids- they deserve better.
Glad you mentioned my kids. I am a product of 2 alcoholic parents, and I would be one myself if I had not been able to break the cycle, which in my family goes back to at least the 19th century. I did it with cannabis. I am the first one in my family to break the cycle, and to this day my daughter of 37 years does not drink! A true success story if I've ever heard one! She's also the most awesome mom I've even known to boot.

I know you won't do it, but you could learn something from this post. Instead of staying in the dark ages and remaining so embarrassingly uninformed, you could open your mind to the fact that this poll shows overwhelmingly how little you really know about cannabis.

Last edited by Raddo; 04-30-2016 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-30-2016, 08:15 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,335,536 times
Quote:
If pot was such a "positive" for industry and academics, why would not these institutions ADVOCATE the use of pot prior to test taking, performance of experiments, and operating on live humans? Why would Colorado businesses not MANDATE pot use during work hours????? ARE YOU KIDDING?
Wow! YOU must be the one who is kidding!

This plant has been demonized to the point of it being a criminal FELONY to even RESEARCH! In addition, there are 78 years of brainwashing to overcome. We can't even open your eyes, much less all the others like you, so now you are saying if it were beneficial it would be MANDATED? You say you are so intelligent and educated. Why does your brain shutdown when discussing this subject?

To answer your other question, I would want my physician to be at his best.

Last edited by Raddo; 04-30-2016 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
Quote:
Why are you even asking such a stupid question? Of course no one wants a stoned surgeon. We're not talking about being high at work, we're talking about smoking pot outside of work. My god, way to try to spin it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies