Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can Regular Cannabis Users be Professional, Productive Members of Society?
No 46 15.38%
Yes 202 67.56%
Yes, but only a small percentage can pull it off 31 10.37%
The question has too many factors to give an accurate answer 16 5.35%
I don't know 4 1.34%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:12 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
You have let your career make you biased. Your arguments don't mean squat until you openly call for the banning of ALL ALCOHOL.

But that can't be done because there is too much demand and making it illegal would rise another era of Al Capone's.

But here we go with the two wrongs make a right! I have seen enough pot use in my 69 years. My best friend's son died in his early fifties - pot and alcohol (maybe other drugs). The son had not lived in the real world for years and when he inherited his father's money he did not last one year. My brother-in-law had the same problem - inherited money and then quickly died. While I cannot blame pot exclusively; it is part of the lifestyle that contributed to their deaths.

Proponents of pot try to paint this picture about how the drug affects everybody the exact same way. I watched one young woman that became so paranoid she was going to jump out the window. We had friends that used and came over to our house to visit. I had my mother's coffee ground cake in the refrigerator that we had not touched for the last two weeks - we knew better and it should have been thrown out will all of the mold on it! We were not watching my friend and did not see him eat the coffee cake until he was down to the last bite - he told us it was the best cake he ever ate! We were surprised he survived!

More than any of this I worry about the message we send to our young as more states and our Country move towards legalization. The kids of users will see their parents smiling/laughing and having a great time - but they will not see them losing their jobs or the pain and suffering from car accidents. They will associate drugs with only fun and not pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 06:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,360 times
Sure..ban alcohol.. But let's go for pot first..
To dog.. No.. I am neither a Mormon nor alcoholic... Nor would I work with one .. I like to perform at high ..hey that's funny.. High function to the best of my abilities .. Intoxicants stop high function. Pot can also excite some of you to anger if you are so predisposed...a healthy mirror check perhaps.

As is typical in all marijuana threads poters line up in one side.. Prohibition on the other.. And the two disagree... It does seem the potheads who are supposed to be so calmed by their chosen narcotic go into frenetic meltdowns when disagreed with... Someone like me is a realist... You want your pot welcome to codified behavior

For some of you who mj has become personal for..an intimate relationship with a drug..has come to the forefront of your desires as you see a path where you can somehow feel legitimized.. Very very sad thinking..

People who use drugs and are looking to attain or be something other than they already are in natural stasis have something missing in their consciousness. To flee otherwise normal existence and be altered to solve whatever you seek will..for most.. Not effectively address what you ( unpersonalized) seek release from.

Many of you..when you aren't stoned or thinking about getting high are probably ashamed of your weakness and desire to be something other than what you are in the moment. A true professional,in any genre knows this. They aren't going to diminish their expertise.. Their skill.. Their passion adulterated.

Please..do tell me how brilliant each of you is under the influence... I can't quite see the flame.. do I feel sorry for some of you ? Sure I do.. But that isn't a open invitation to support you.. You being the generic global you and not the selfish hedonistic individual.

All drugs are bad.. Pot is in the low to medium order more pushed by abhorent behaviors than potentially the drug itself

You are free to *********rself up.. Don't let others be affected one iota and who cares...there goes the rub.. It will never happen

I've softened over the years..many fervent potsters can't wait until they can blow smoke in the proverbial face of others..that's a problem..it already is

Tap on the keys.. I will be working on long range Senate bills and county municipal codes to codify doper behaviors that are effective.some of what I get from city data goes into this process.. And has for several years
When in liberal California these bills and codes pass that is demonstrable that the world doesn't want stoner garbage or mj cowboy growers or the plethora of other issues that come from a defective part of the population.. From dopers laying around using welfare to honey oil lab felons making your product...from cartel members in the forest to granny twelve plant dumping their pesticides down the sewer..using six times the energy of a family of four... None of this is good

The public health poster just hung in our airport shows that children here than alcohol are more likely to vape than smoke cigarettes.. Each potpronent is responsible. Pot is easier to get for kids here. Each of you is an enabler

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-13-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-13-2016, 07:24 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But here we go with the two wrongs make a right! I have seen enough pot use in my 69 years. My best friend's son died in his early fifties - pot and alcohol (maybe other drugs). The son had not lived in the real world for years and when he inherited his father's money he did not last one year. My brother-in-law had the same problem - inherited money and then quickly died. While I cannot blame pot exclusively; it is part of the lifestyle that contributed to their deaths.

Proponents of pot try to paint this picture about how the drug affects everybody the exact same way. I watched one young woman that became so paranoid she was going to jump out the window. We had friends that used and came over to our house to visit. I had my mother's coffee ground cake in the refrigerator that we had not touched for the last two weeks - we knew better and it should have been thrown out will all of the mold on it! We were not watching my friend and did not see him eat the coffee cake until he was down to the last bite - he told us it was the best cake he ever ate! We were surprised he survived!

More than any of this I worry about the message we send to our young as more states and our Country move towards legalization. The kids of users will see their parents smiling/laughing and having a great time - but they will not see them losing their jobs or the pain and suffering from car accidents. They will associate drugs with only fun and not pain.

Agreed-

The pot users are in denial that they are using a sedative hypnotic drug for a buzz. That is it.

In no way, shape, or form could any rational human being argue that use of sedative hypnotic drug IMPROVES cognitive or motor function- no way. Such presumptions are absurd and are in direct contrast with cognitive and motor evaluations of those smoking pot while intoxicated.

If you want to escape from reality and seek a buzz- be my guest. If people want to do so, I think they should have the right to do so. However, I like reality and do not seek to escape reality, but embrace it. Reality is pretty spectacular in of itself and, in my opionion, does not need the veil of mind altering drugs to appreciate it.

Try having cancer a few times and suddenly reality is the best thing ever.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:01 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Agreed-

The pot users are in denial that they are using a sedative hypnotic drug for a buzz. That is it.

In no way, shape, or form could any rational human being argue that use of sedative hypnotic drug IMPROVES cognitive or motor function- no way. Such presumptions are absurd and are in direct contrast with cognitive and motor evaluations of those smoking pot while intoxicated.

If you want to escape from reality and seek a buzz- be my guest. If people want to do so, I think they should have the right to do so. However, I like reality and do not seek to escape reality, but embrace it. Reality is pretty spectacular in of itself and, in my opionion, does not need the veil of mind altering drugs to appreciate it.

doctors are creating some of the worst drug addicts know to man over writing prescriptions for hard drugs!! over 250 million prescriptions were written last year for opioids in a country with only 320 million, in a world with 7.3 billion. quacks abound in the US!! so I surly wont take my advice from an uptight doc babbling about weed the "safest drug", when your kind are killing 10s of thousands annually. sure some really need the pain meds, people with cancer and some other debilitating ailments, but that is a really small number compared to the amount of opioid prescriptions being written.. I know people that have been smoking weed for 50 years and they are doing just fine,, show me someone that's been popping doctor prescribed opioids for 50 years?? they all are in the ground long dead...

Old 05-13-2016, 08:04 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Sure..ban alcohol.. But let's go for pot first..
I too do not know why I bother. Notme consists of a broken record, has a very narrow and closed mind, and is such a big part of the problem.

No need to go for pot first, it has been banned for 78 years. Based on the lack of success of that ban, and based on the lack of success of the alcohol ban, it looks like you are also not capable of learning from history. So forget pot, it is banned. Go ahead and start your campaign for reestablishing alcohol prohibition.

Quote:
Pot can also excite some of you to anger if you are so predisposed...a healthy mirror check perhaps.
Cannabis has the opposite effect. Those predisposed to anger are usually CALMER after using cannabis. This is well known, common knowledge to most everyone who knows about this subject.

Quote:

It does seem the potheads who are supposed to be so calmed by their chosen narcotic go into frenetic meltdowns when disagreed with...
If you want to call having your arguments slapped down hard against the mat, by multiple posters, by using science, research, firsthand testimonies, and reality, "frenetic meltdowns" then that is your right.

Quote:
People who use drugs and are looking to attain or be something other than they already are in natural stasis have something missing in their consciousness. To flee otherwise normal existence and be altered to solve whatever you seek will..for most.. Not effectively address what you ( unpersonalized) seek release from.
You mean kind of like someone who has depression problems and are seeking to live life depression free and so takes antidepressants? You mean kind of like someone who has joint pain taking steroid shots so they can lead a normal life? Are these people damaged and fleeing from reality? Are they a defective segment of society that should be sequestered away from the healthy segment, or even worse? Reminds me of a recent dictator from Germany, but that is because unlike you, I have learned from history.

Quote:
Many of you..when you aren't stoned or thinking about getting high are probably ashamed of your weakness and desire to be something other than what you are in the moment.
You certainly aren't describing me, even remotely. I always strive to be something better, and for some people cannabis use is not necessarily counter-productive to that goal. I know it seems to you that it is always counterproductive, because you are completely focused on the asshats you deal with daily. You consider them to represent the MAJORITY of cannabis users, when in fact they are a very small minority. If you could ONLY come to realize that fact, you could become a much more effective and qualified spokesperson.

Quote:
Please..do tell me how brilliant each of you is under the influence... I can't quite see the flame.. do I feel sorry for some of you ? Sure I do.. But that isn't a open invitation to support you.. You being the generic global you and not the selfish hedonistic individual.
I have told you several times how the right strain helps me with focus and creativity when I write complex computer code, and how it tends to turn the drudgery of computer programming into something fun. You always ignore it, of course, like you did just now when you read it again for the umpteenth time. But you asked, so I obliged. So please do not accuse me of "touting my abilities" like you so often do.

"Selfish hedonistic individual" not only does not apply, it is genuinely laughable. Again, the only thing you can picture in your mind's eye are those pesky asshats who represent such a minority.

Quote:

All drugs are bad.. Pot is in the low to medium order more pushed by abhorent behaviors than potentially the drug itself
"Abhorent behaviors" not only does not apply to me, it is genuinely laughable. Again, the only thing you can picture in your mind's eye are those pesky asshats who represent such a minority.

Quote:
Tap on the keys.. I will be working on long range Senate bills and county municiipal codes to codify doper behaviors that is effective.
That is truly a sad thing. "Doper behaviors" is a subject that you could not be more bigoted and prejudiced about.

Quote:
When in liberal California these bills and codes pass that is demonstrable that the world doesn't want stoner garbage or mj cowboy growers or the plethora of other issues that come from a defective part of the population.. From dopers laying around using welfare to honey oil lab felons making your product...from cartel members in the forest to granny twelve plant dumping their pesticides down the sewer..using six times the energy of a family of four... None of this is good
Yes, I'm very defective.

"Cowboy growers" goes away with legalization and regulation. Look at Colorado for an example of it. Illegal grows are being removed because the public, law enforcement, and the Feds are all working together towards a common goal. This is in stark contrast to the war going on in most states, lead by drug warriors like yourself. But you too will start seeing some of the problems that you like to crank up to 10 on the volume knob ease once it is legalized in California.

By the way, 95% of legal home grows do not use pesticides. Most home gardeners are much more responsible than you give them credit for.

Finally, legal home grows do NOT use six times the energy of a family of four. But it is very typical of a prohibition dependent police agency to lie about something like that. The winds will be out of your sails on that one soon, as LED technology improves, causing more and more gardeners to switch to efficient, cool-running LED lights.

Quote:

The public health poster just hung in our airport shows that children here are more likely to vape than smoke cigarettes.. Each potpronent iis responsible. Pot is easier to get for kids here. Each of you is an enabler
You know why it is easier for kids to get? Prohibition! There are kids in schools all over America today that have pot on them that is for sale to every other kid in that school. That is true everywhere. You don't deny that, you can't deny that. How many schools have kids with alcohol for sale on them? How many illegal alcohol dealers are on street corners right now pushing alcohol on kids? Answer: None.

Pot has always been easier to get than alcohol for kids. Including me, 45 years ago. It is time to use a new approach.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:08 AM

Typical As Pot-Growing Expands, Electricity Demands Tax U.S. Grids - Bloomberg

Granny twelve plant permit sign off process requires nanny meter in the grow house...which is how we know the excessive use of dope growing.. This is just but another issue with enablement

Last edited by notmeofficer; 05-13-2016 at 10:41 AM..

Old 05-13-2016, 10:18 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Agreed-

I could say having had cancer makes reality the worst thing ever. It's that reality (and the reality of most of my friends dying in their 20s from the disease and concern that I won't make it to 30) that makes marijuana the reason why I'm able to function without a handful of much worse prescription pills every day. My brain can't slow down enough to sleep without help, and I'd rather use marijuana rather than sleeping pills that leave me groggy half of the next day. My oncologist, onco-psych, therapist, and PCP all agree. I may be in remission still, but the fall out remains and marijuana is the recommended solution by my medical team which includes physicians at some of the best institutions in the world and all of whom are Harvard Med trained (the benefit of getting sick in Boston!).

It's really unclear to me why people on this thread who are against marijuana seem to think that those who use it think that there's no temporary cognitive or motor alterations. Sure there are. No one is suggesting you smoke a joint and hop in a car or head to work. No one is suggesting that using marijuana 24/7 is a positive thing. Used socially or as an aid for anxiety, insomnia, or pain when in the comfort of your own home with no plans to go out is a different situation.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I could say having had cancer makes reality the worst thing ever. It's that reality (and the reality of most of my friends dying in their 20s from the disease and concern that I won't make it to 30) that makes marijuana the reason why I'm able to function without a handful of much worse prescription pills every day. My brain can't slow down enough to sleep without help, and I'd rather use marijuana rather than sleeping pills that leave me groggy half of the next day. My oncologist, onco-psych, therapist, and PCP all agree. I may be in remission still, but the fall out remains and marijuana is the recommended solution by my medical team which includes physicians at some of the best institutions in the world and all of whom are Harvard Med trained (the benefit of getting sick in Boston!).

It's really unclear to me why people on this thread who are against marijuana seem to think that those who use it think that there's no temporary cognitive or motor alterations. Sure there are. No one is suggesting you smoke a joint and hop in a car or head to work. No one is suggesting that using marijuana 24/7 is a positive thing. Used socially or as an aid for anxiety, insomnia, or pain when in the comfort of your own home with no plans to go out is a different situation.
Appropriate use of mj under the care of a doctor
Appropriate use of mj staying home

Unfortunately the exception rather than the norm

It's the behavior not the drug

Old 05-13-2016, 11:23 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Appropriate use of mj under the care of a doctor
Appropriate use of mj staying home

Unfortunately the exception rather than the norm

It's the behavior not the drug
How could you possibly know that?

Old 05-13-2016, 11:25 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Agreed-

Great post! I hope that you continue to be cancer free and enjoy one long happy life!

When I was much younger I did experiment. What scared me the most is that I broke my own rules. I said I would never, ever, drive under the influence. But something always comes up and there is no way around it. It is just foolish to say 'never'. The never should be what I should have said to pot. Fortunately I was smart enough to learn from my mistakes. I gave up drinking almost 50 years ago and pot shortly afterwards. Smoking was a little harder since I have only been smoke free for the last 20 years. The last one to give up for me will be sugar containing soda - I'm still thinking about that one! I don't want to disappoint my dentist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies