Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:15 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,141,101 times

Advertisements

This is sad all around. I can see trying to intervene to save a life but trying to apprehend a fleeing suspect should be left to police.

Should concealed weapons holders be making arrests?

Quote:
The concealed carry permit holder was trying to intervene in a domestic dispute, trying to disarm the fleeing shooter, trying to do the job ordinarily reserved for police.

Instead, he was killed.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-is-shot-dead/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 07:17 AM

1,100 posts, read 635,134 times
At least he attempted to do something - more than most people can say. Seems like more people would pull their phones out and video tragic events...while yelling "Worldstar!", than intervene these days.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:21 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,213,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
This is sad all around. I can see trying to intervene to save a life but trying to apprehend a fleeing suspect should be left to police.

Should concealed weapons holders be making arrests?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-is-shot-dead/

even I as a ccw holder, know better than to get involved in a domestic dispute. this person was just plain wrong, and should have stayed out of a domestic dispute unless someone was in danger of being killed.

as far as making arrests, everyone has the authority to make a citizens arrest on gross misdemeanors and felonies.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:27 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,129,151 times
That's a scenario that kills a lot of cops.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 AM

1,166 posts, read 756,581 times
This is what happens when you mix too much macho with a gun. Try to act like a badass and sometimes it will go horribly wrong. He should have just called the police and given them a good description of the suspect and his license plate number instead of acting like he was Batman.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
even I as a ccw holder, know better than to get involved in a domestic dispute. this person was just plain wrong, and should have stayed out of a domestic dispute unless someone was in danger of being killed.

as far as making arrests, everyone has the authority to make a citizens arrest on gross misdemeanors and felonies.

Reps to you.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:37 AM

25,599 posts, read 17,334,751 times
I don't carry a gun. As much as I like guns, I still won't carry one.

If you're going to haul the hogleg out, shoot it! Don't go waving the thing around and pointing it at people. Shoot it, or put it away.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:38 AM

1,100 posts, read 635,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
If you're going to haul the hogleg out, shoot it! Don't go waving the thing around and pointing it at people. Shoot it, or put it away.
Any responsible gun owner knows this rule...you do not pull it out without the intent. The moment you start being bravado with a gun, without the intent...you'll wind up the victim.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:41 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,180,885 times
Wow, what a terrible story. This is why (gun or no gun) I wouldn't want to get involved with a domestic dispute, although it really seems like the opposite of the right thing to do. It seems most of these things go south when someone else gets involved, although they're just trying to help.

Looks like they were both military.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:46 AM

13,699 posts, read 9,026,316 times
This was on our local news yesterday, since it happened over in Arlington.

This gentleman's (Mr. Antell) impulse was good; it was even heroic. However, the assailant, after shooting the woman (turned out to be his wife) in the leg, had gotten into his car to leave, and was even driving away, when confronted by Mr. Antell (whom had run to his truck to get his gun). The assailant then got out of his vehicle, and apparently got the first shot in.

It is sad beyond measure. One cannot condemn Mr. Antell's impulse, but one wishes that he had recognized that the assailant was, in fact, leaving, and so leave it to the police. Indeed, I would bet that when Mr. Antell returned to his vehicle to get his gun, his own wife, sitting in the vehicle and witnessing all, pleaded with him to stay out of it.

Again, one cannot condemn Mr. Antell's impulse. It is such people that will, in future, prevent some new massacre. For all we know, Mr. Antell believed that such was in progress. I do feel sorry for his family, and I will join in on calling him a hero, for he acted out of the best of intentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies