Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 AM

71 posts, read 174,822 times

Advertisements

If their religion permits same sex marriage? Then yes, I think they should be able to get married, generally speaking though, the highest percent of people who have a religion are christian, so when you make a law that prohibits same sex marriage, you're going with the opinion of the higher percentage of people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 11:40 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I am not officially married to my significant other (I'm male, she's female) but we are fully committed to one another and we function pretty much as any married couple would. But not everyone's mindset works like ours.
And if we didn't keep religion out our laws or enforcement, and we all were all literally conservative and resistant to change, you could be prosecuted for the crime of "Illicit Cohabitation." It's actually a law.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:00 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
I am against gay marriage. Not because it is "wrong". It isn't wrong at all. I'm just against the benefits that come with it. This isn't just a gay thing either. I don't like how the institution of marriage is these days at all, heterosexual or homosexual. Government should not be involved in such things at all. The type of benefits people receive because they are married is ridiculous to me. It's like saying two people who love each other will never be on the same level as people who are married. It's a slap in the face really. Not to mention, in the media, they make it look like if you're not married, you're an outcast. Sad really. I have no problem with people being in homosexual relationships. That is their right and it's nobody else's business, but I'm against the whole marriage thing.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Personally I don't give a fat rats azz one way or another.To each his own..it's not bothering my time
The Bible was interpreted by man and those even bringing the bible into it well all I have to say is and I may not be quoting exact context but...He who is without sin cast the first stone....hmmmmm

Old 02-20-2008, 01:15 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow. I am stunned at the level of judgments here. What's funny is, you all think I'm the one being judgmental, when I simply disagree with a lifestyle choice. I don't hate people because of it, but wow, I sure am not feeling the love in this thread. Someone even gave me a negative reputation over it, which I will of course be bringing up with Markablue.

To answer someone's question: I was what some gay people like to call a "f*g hag". For an entire decade, my life revolved around my gay friends. There was only one couple that I know that had the capacity to raise a child, and unfortunately they are no longer together (but were together a long time). The rest were a little too concerned with what I consider a warped value system. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I realize it is not shared by most of you here.

Before you all go spouting off about what an awful person I am for feeling the way I do, maybe you need to take a good look at yourselves in the mirror. I haven't attacked a single one of you personally, nor have I wielded the ol' negative rep point system, yet I can name three members who have angrily or defensively come forward and called me some interesting things. You know nothing about my life or my history, but because I am a conservative (and yes, jfre81, for the most part, liberals are against conservative values so...do the math here... ) you feel compelled to call me closed minded, judgmental, and unwilling, among other things. Yet it is clearly not me here who has issues with judgments.

I am sorry to anyone I personally offended with my value system. I'll be bowing out of this thread now. Good night.
My "lifestyle" is probably so similar to yours you wouldn't believe it. "Gay Lifestyle" is a conservative catch phrase used to paint all gay people with the same, scary brush. Trust me, as expecting fathers, it ain't all shopping, brunches, sex, and clubbing. (I'm just guessing what the stereotypical gay lifestyle is supposed to be)

Old 02-20-2008, 01:58 PM

413 posts, read 909,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankidan View Post
the same thing that is wrong with gays in general. Marriage is ment to be between a man and a woman.
Says who?
Quote:
Relationships are ment to be between a man and a woman.
Says who?
Quote:
Is there anything rigth about gay marriage? No, theres not.
Says who?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:00 PM

413 posts, read 909,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I understand all that. I don't want gay marriage. Marriage historically has religious connotations. I'd rather the gov't offer civil unions to any people wanting to form a partnership.
That's where I am. I don't want the government to sanction any marriage, straight or gay. I want the government to sanction socioeconomic partnerships--that is, civil unions. If two sisters want the socioeconomic benefits of a union, that's fine.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
And if we didn't keep religion out our laws or enforcement, and we all were all literally conservative and resistant to change, you could be prosecuted for the crime of "Illicit Cohabitation." It's actually a law.
It was a crime in Texas until the 1970s, when they also narrowed down the sodomy laws to target only same-sex couples.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:09 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
That's where I am. I don't want the government to sanction any marriage, straight or gay. I want the government to sanction socioeconomic partnerships--that is, civil unions. If two sisters want the socioeconomic benefits of a union, that's fine.
That's interesting! Whatever you call it marriage or civil union a gay couple should have the right to create one in the eyes of the law. I don't believe there should be laws against something that hurts no one. That one man one woman idea can only be defended religiously. Let's seperate the church and state again, that was instituted for good reason.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I think whether it should be religiously sanctioned ought to be up to whoever constitutes that religion.

It should have no weight at all within the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies