Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

[quote=camping!;3374271]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

How could the legalization of pedophilia come to pass if gay marriage was legalized? Thats insane, and I have come to accept better arguments from you. Look, the use of pedaphilia as a scare tactic to demonize gay marriage is ridiculous and insulting. Pedophiles are not gay. Because if you try to make that comparison, remember that a lot of pedophiles are adult men with little girls. Are they straight? Hell no. They are deviants that rape, abuse, and destroy childrens lives. That doesn't fall into either heterosexual or homosexual behavor.

Now, with polygamy, you have a better argument. I could see them bringing a case of legalizing it to the supreme court if gay marriage was legal. On the other hand, polygamy is practiced by people who exploit children by arranging marriages to much older men etc.....that is where they will fail imho.
Mellow, my friend. No one is equating pedophilia with gayness, except in the case of male adults having sex with male childen -- which is by definition a homosexual act. (See why I hate this topic and would prefer a subforum?)

My point is that changing the definition of marriage from one man / one woman to accept two men or two women begs the questions of why only two? And why only adults? If sexual preference becomes the sole criterion for determining these things, how can we include some preferences while denying others?

Also, contrary to your concluding point, polygamists are not by definition child abusers. Many are simply people who want one adult man to have several adult wives. In cases like those, you'd have to permit them to marry as well, just so gay men could have the dubious honor of picking out the china patterns together...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchman View Post
Gays don't have families to feed, gays earn more than non-gays. There are countless struggling families in America with no food on the table.
There's countless gay families in America with no food on the table, as well. Gays tend to go into the creative jobs that pay more, yes, but there's a lot that can't get a job or feel urged to quit because of subtle harassment.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:29 PM

408 posts, read 696,158 times
Quote:
Oh yes. Tell us about your experience. I bet that you are like all these college students who claim to know more about economics, energy, family values, foreign policy than all senior officials combined.
I have never made any such claim, and will not respond to either of the two. I am almost positive that I do not need to tell you (of all people) what experience I have to have an opinion ( and a more mature one at that) But I am guessing that you are in High School, have republican/conservative parents that tell you how to think, and follow the crowd no matter what....that is exactly what I picture when I read some of the rude and ignorant dribble that you continue to share.

Old 04-06-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:

When Churches and a strong majority of the population will be ok with gay marriage, then i will be ok with it.

Simple, no? What's so difficult to understand?
I just read this and it proves my point that you have no mind of your own..tell your parents to let you grow!!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
[quote=Yeledaf;3374389]
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post

Mellow, my friend. No one is equating pedophilia with gayness, except in the case of male adults having sex with male childen -- which is by definition a homosexual act. (See why I hate this topic and would prefer a subforum?)

My point is that changing the definition of marriage from one man / one woman to accept two men or two women begs the questions of why only two? And why only adults? If sexual preference becomes the sole criterion for determining these things, how can we include some preferences while denying others?

Also, contrary to your concluding point, polygamists are not by definition child abusers. Many are simply people who want one adult man to have several adult wives. In cases like those, you'd have to permit them to marry as well, just so gay men could have the dubious honor of picking out the china patterns together...
Adult males having sex with male children is no more a homosexual act then an adult male having sexual intercourse with a female child a heterosexual act. Unless you are using a defination of pedophilia from the ancient Greece? An obsolete definition , my mellow friend, an obsolete definition.

Have you seen the news today? Tx raiding a polygamous cult for records of a marriage of a 14 year old girl to a 50 year old man. These cults have to breed their own brides, as it were, and that is abuse and exploitation. Quite unlike two adult men picking out china patterns.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:09 PM

[quote=camping!;3375662]
Quote:

Adult males having sex with male children is no more a homosexual act then an adult male having sexual intercourse with a female child a heterosexual act. Unless you are using a defination of pedophilia from the ancient Greece? An obsolete definition , my mellow friend, an obsolete definition.
I'm sorry, but two males having sex is indeed a homosexual act. What would you call rape in prison? Non-homosexual rape? Your argument is prima facie absurd.

Quote:
Have you seen the news today? Tx raiding a polygamous cult for records of a marriage of a 14 year old girl to a 50 year old man. These cults have to breed their own brides, as it were, and that is abuse and exploitation. Quite unlike two adult men picking out china patterns.
That is one particularly egregious example or sexual perversion. There are numerous examples of adult polygamy -- and polyandry, truth be told. The radical transformation of marriage into a sort of free rugby scrum, as you envision it, would result in plenty of what are currently considered outlandish matings.

Be careful about what you wish for.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM

[quote=Yeledaf;3375732]
Quote:

I'm sorry, but two males having sex is indeed a homosexual act. What would you call rape in prison? Non-homosexual rape? Your argument is prima facie absurd.

That is one particularly egregious example or sexual perversion. There are numerous examples of adult polygamy -- and polyandry, truth be told. The radical transformation of marriage into a sort of free rugby scrum, as you envision it, would result in plenty of what are currently considered outlandish matings.

Be careful about what you wish for.
For the last time, two consenting adult males are homosexuals. Rape, and pedophilia are not. I don't understand you. You keep bringing up adult men and boys having sex as homosexuality, when clearly it is not. It is exploitation and rape. You are trying to tie a deviant, sick form of sex to homosexuality and its outrageous. Period.

As to your second point, have you read anything from people who managed to leave polygamist cults? There are arranged underage marriages, young boys are driven out to fend for themselves, coercion of young brides is used. We are not talking about consenting adults here in any respect.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:04 PM

[quote=camping!;3375970]
Quote:

For the last time, two consenting adult males are homosexuals. Rape, and pedophilia are not. I don't understand you. You keep bringing up adult men and boys having sex as homosexuality, when clearly it is not. It is exploitation and rape. You are trying to tie a deviant, sick form of sex to homosexuality and its outrageous. Period.
Your subtle bending of the phrase "homosexual act" to "homosexuality" is not valid. I have never claimed that the two are identical. I am well aware of the difference between sex by consenting adults and sex involving chldren. But what would you call the act of sex between two males, if not a homosexual act?

Quote:
As to your second point, have you read anything from people who managed to leave polygamist cults? There are arranged underage marriages, young boys are driven out to fend for themselves, coercion of young brides is used. We are not talking about consenting adults here in any respect.
It is interesting that you are attempting the same kind of rhetorical gymnastics in this paragraph that you accuse me of in the previous one. (The diffrence of course is that you make the errors to prove your point, while I use literal accuracy to prove mine). No one is denying that the things you describe occur. But there are many many more examples of polygamy -- among Arabian people, among early Mormons, among small groups today in North America -- which involve only consenting adults...

Old 04-06-2008, 09:01 PM

[quote=Yeledaf;3376207]
Quote:

Your subtle bending of the phrase "homosexual act" to "homosexuality" is not valid. I have never claimed that the two are identical. I am well aware of the difference between sex by consenting adults and sex involving chldren. But what would you call the act of sex between two males, if not a homosexual act?
I have been following this discussion and Yeledaf even though I do understand what you are trying to say, the difference between homosexuality and a homosexual act, there is a huge difference when it comes to a man and a child. According to psychology it is not about the sex between two males, but the act with a child. So even though I understand what you are saying the comparison really does not apply.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM

[quote=Yeledaf;3376207]
Quote:

It is interesting that you are attempting the same kind of rhetorical gymnastics in this paragraph that you accuse me of in the previous one. (The diffrence of course is that you make the errors to prove your point, while I use literal accuracy to prove mine). No one is denying that the things you describe occur. But there are many many more examples of polygamy -- among Arabian people, among early Mormons, among small groups today in North America -- which involve only consenting adults...
Look, if what you are trying to get across is that fellatio and/or sodomy are homsexual acts, and homosexuals and pedophiles do this.......whats your point? I hate to tell you, but a lot of straight male/female couples do these things as well. Pick up a Cosmo man, it'll make your toes curl! So, is everyone who has participated in fellatio or sodomy a homosexual?

As far as other cultures practicing polygamy......you will never convince me that the all the women are happy willing participants of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies