Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2008, 06:18 AM

48,127 posts, read 22,002,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
I am curious, who came up with the idea of marriage? and why?

Sex is between a man and a women, anything else is wrong, not because of some notion of god or laws.. but because you can not propagate the race. That is the design behind sex in the first place.
The same logic could get you with the pleasures we associate with eating; we eat to avoid starvation, to sustain life. Should all eating done for the pleasure of tasting be outlawed; every bite of nurishment that isnt medically required.

Should marriages be annulled if they prove to be infertile or once the female of the breeding pair, gets beyond being fertile?

I think the original intent is an absurd logic; Adam was lonely not wanting to reproduce. One could argue that the Garden of Eden was originally intended to be an experiment of two....go forth and populate the world was an after thought when things didnt go as planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The same logic could get you with the pleasures we associate with eating; we eat to avoid starvation, to sustain life. Should all eating done for the pleasure of tasting be outlawed; every bite of nurishment that isnt medically required.

Should marriages be annulled if they prove to be infertile or once the female of the breeding pair, gets beyond being fertile?

I think the original intent is an absurd logic; Adam was lonely not wanting to reproduce. One could argue that the Garden of Eden was originally intended to be an experiment of two....go forth and populate the world was an after thought when things didnt go as planned.

Perfect post and I agree. For example I have no desire to have children whatsoever and yet this does not invalidate my love and commitment to my fiance. Does the fact we do not wish to breed mean our love is un-natural and marriage should be denied to us ?

Sex is fun, relationships are fun, fulfilling and a huge part of our humanity.

Marriage should be a choice to those who wish to partake of it. whatever the sex-mix.
It's not about having kids. It's just a symbol and a form of public recognition and I do not see why Gay people should be discriminated against. Plus there seems to be a lot of legal advantages to be had by marriage as well and once again the law and its benefits as well as duties) should apply to all, Gay or Heterosexual.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:39 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Geez, Mooseketeer, you stole my train of thought again. But, I'll post it anyway.

Quote:

Sex is between a man and a women, anything else is wrong, not because of some notion of god or laws.. but because you can not propagate the race. That is the design behind sex in the first place.
I was sterilized over 30 years ago, does that mean that I shouldn’t marry?
I thought the design behind sex was fun, and a lot of it. That’s why I got sterilized in the first place!

Why shouldn't gays marry?
It is one of the few ways that whacko fundy parents can't deny one partner access to the child that they hate for being gay anyway.
Why are mostly christians hell-bent on denying people the opportunity to love and to enjoy the same benefits of any other loving couple?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:13 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
[quote=Muhnay;2834000]I am curious, who came up with the idea of marriage? and why?[quote]

That's a good question, but it's a complicated answer. I'll read up on when time permits, but here's a start:

Learn about the history of marriage.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:28 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,248 times
Quote:
Humans, to be able to manage property more cleanly and to ensure a way to propagate direct lineage.

Quote:
Sex is between a man and a women, anything else is wrong, not because of some notion of god or laws.. but because you can not propagate the race.
I take it, then, that anyone who is having sex not for procreation is doing something wrong?

Quote:
That is the design behind sex in the first place.
That is far from the only use of sex according to nature.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:33 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
I think all marriage is wrong.
Humans weren't meant to be monogamous...yes, some are, and some choose a mate and stick with them for a lifetime...but it's not natural.

That being said...I think gays should have all the rights as any other human on this earth.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Really, what IS it to you? Does your neighbor's divorce make your marriage immediately unhappy, or null and void?

It's like complaining that the brand of toilet paper used by the guy down the road causes your brand of paper to chap your hiney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeehound View Post
Not really. If mass numbers of my neighbors divorce, their kids are still living in my neighborhood, relying more and more on taxpayer-funded services, causing more school and community disruption, and generally making life more difficult for me and my own family.

In small numbers, these problems were easily absorbed. In a world where half of all marriages end in divorce, the fallout becomes difficult to handle. In a world where half of all kids are born to people who didn't even bother to marry in the first place... you witness a lot of community disintegration.

Flight to the atomized 'burbs where you think you can hide from the dysfunction.

The value of stable two-parent households to community development are quite well-established. The kids are less prone to crime, drugs, violence, more likely to finish school, less likely to get pregnant as teenagers, blah, blah, blah.

So yeah, easy divorce has been very bad for everyone, even the long-term marrieds.

Great answer, coffeehound, to a question that frankly, boggles my mind.

To the OP: I think we'll unfortunately find out what's wrong with gay marriage/unions in another 20-30 years, when the kids they adopt/have get older and we either will see the ramifications above that coffeehouse mentions, or we will see happy, healthy loving kids who have never been influenced by their parents' behavior or lifestyle.

I'm betting on the former.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
No it wasn't. That was added in the 50s during the McCarthy era (as I recall...might have to check my facts here) as a knee-jerk reaction to the satanic Commie Pinkos.

**Edit: And most of you who spout that rhetoric forget about the "liberty and justice FOR ALL" part.

Liberty and justice have very little to do with marriage.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:19 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,084,831 times
I only have 2 exapmles that have formed my opinion on this subject...

My adoptive parents: A heterosexual couple who could never get enough to drink, who filled my days with terror, who physically fought...constantly...

My sister & her life partner: A lesbian couple who have been together for over 25 years, have never had a physical fight, have been wonderful Aunts to my 2 children, who travel and enjoy life...

Gosh....who would I have rather been adopted by?

Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 AM

48,127 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Liberty and justice have very little to do with marriage.
That remark should take a prize for one of the wittiest and funniest retorts in CD-F history! I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies