Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,451,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
People need to pay for their own college.
What the hell does that even mean? Should states cut off all funding to their university systems? Should the federal government stop offering discounted loans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 AM

50,924 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Time to wake up.
Basic grade schools and high schools aren't in shambles due to lack of money (we spend more per student than any other country). They are so because they are poorly run govt institutions and throwing more money at them would be doubling down on stupid. Get the govt out.
1. Almost everything is more expensive in the United States because we have a higher cost of living.

2. I've worked in poorly run school systems, and in very well run school systems. The government ran the very good systems, too.

3. 8 out of 10 businesses fail. That's usually the result of poor investment and poor management.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,655,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Maybe would not have to spend so much in prisons. No complaints there
Since you didn't mention foreign wars in your comment, does that mean you supported the invasion of Iraq?

The lack of comment on a topic doesn't necessarily imply a stance on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
What the hell does that even mean? Should states cut off all funding to their university systems? Should the federal government stop offering discounted loans?
Yes and yes.

Taxpayers should not be subsidizing advancement of a certain portion of society.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:59 AM

50,924 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
if colleges should be free, then all professors salary should be cut in half, and they should be forced to not only teach a liberal view of thinking, but also a conservative way of thinking.
That would be like me saying that your salary should be cut in half because you are a conservative.

Come on. Can't you elevate the discussion a bit?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yes and yes.

Taxpayers should not be subsidizing advancement of a certain portion of society.
You don't care that it makes it harder for poor people to get ahead if they choose to? You're going to make advancement only possible for rich people.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You don't care that it makes it harder for poor people to get ahead if they choose to? You're going to make advancement only possible for rich people.
I knew plenty of poor people working their way through college.

When I was waiting tables and hanging wallpaper while going to school, I met plenty of people working as waiters while going to school because they had to fund it themselves.

Maybe you weren't working during college and the people you partied with on the weekends didn't have to work so you just assume you don't work while going to college.

I also found that the group who were, as a whole, more serious about college were the ones who worked after high school, saved money, went to junior college while working and then transferred to a university where while continuing to work.

I went to a junior college prior to transferring to UT and worked throughout my entire college career and was not ashamed of it.

BTW, most things worth having are worth working for and important things tend to cost more.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I knew plenty of poor people working their way through college.

When I was waiting tables and hanging wallpaper while going to school, I met plenty of people working as waiters while going to school because they had to fund it themselves.

Maybe you weren't working during college and the people you partied with on the weekends didn't have to work so you just assume you don't work while going to college.

I also found that the group who were, as a whole, more serious about college were the ones who worked after high school, saved money, went to junior college while working and then transferred to a university where while continuing to work.

I went to a junior college prior to transferring to UT and worked throughout my entire college career and was not ashamed of it.

BTW, most things worth having are worth working for and important things tend to cost more.

Yeah they worked their way through college, because the state picked up the rest of the tab.

In some states, the cheapest university options cost upwards of $18,000 yearly for tuition, room, and board. That's not far from the median after-tax income of the American population. Without state subsidies, that's even more.

You're the typical rightie, you got the government to pay for ~half your tuition and now you want to cut it off from everyone else . You make me sick.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah they worked their way through college, because the state picked up the rest of the tab.

In some states, the cheapest university options cost upwards of $18,000 yearly for tuition, room, and board. That's not far from the median after-tax income of the American population. Without state subsidies, that's even more.

You're the typical rightie, you got the government to pay for ~half your tuition and now you want to cut it off from everyone else . You make me sick.
Had college cost three times as much, I would have found a way to pay for it even if that meant delaying it for five or six years and/or choosing a cheaper school.

Just because you seem to feel someone else must pay your freight doesn't mean that is how everyone else feels.

It's funny how so many people won't think twice about their cell phone costs, the costs of their car or so many other luxuries, but when it comes to something important like school or health insurance they suddenly feel someone else should pick up the tab.

Talk about greed.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:36 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I feel public community college and adult education programs/public trade scools should be free. Community College's and Public Adult Ed programs should offer more trade options. Feel after that shouldn't be free.

However, do feel employers should offer tuition reimbursent and some type of program to offer some assistance with loans. State gives them incentive/tax breaks if they do something along those lines.

I think federal grants and federal loam money should only go to public universities. Also private universities shouldn't receive any State or Federal money.

Thoughts...
So, the teachers will work for FREE, the contractors that build the campuses will build them for FREE, the utility companies will provide services for FREE, the authors of the books needed will give them for FREE, the office workers, janitors and maintenance folks will work for FREE?

Is this what you're proposing?

Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So, the teachers will work for FREE, the contractors that build the campuses will build them for FREE, the utility companies will provide services for FREE, the authors of the books needed will give them for FREE, the office workers, janitors and maintenance folks will work for FREE?

Is this what you're proposing?
It will be paid for by the money trees the government planted.

Besides, why shouldn't the auto mechanic who paid his way through trade school have to pay for the degree for an art history major?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies