Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 06:37 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
Tell that to Muslims who require women to cover their head.
By discouraging hijabs, we are helping the women who don't want to cover their head.
This is the US, there is no need to try to dictate what people wear. The Jewish people wear those little black hats for their religion, that isn't an issue. Hijabs and Burqas fall in that same category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 06:37 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
How very altruistic of you.

How do you know that women here in the United States who wear burka or hijab are doing so against their will?
Some are, some are not. The Muslim women who want to change need our encouragement and help.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
This is the US, there is no need to try to dictate what people wear. The Jewish people wear those little black hats for their religion, that isn't an issue. Hijabs and Burqas fall in that same category.
Burqa is too extreme and is banned in certain places in France, Switzerland, and China.
Hijab is OK but we should let Muslim women choose freely.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:41 PM

179 posts, read 248,645 times
So your solution is to "discourage" all women from wearing them, at the expense of the ones who choose to wear them because of their deeply held religious beliefs?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:42 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Nobody should force others to do so. However I think hijab should be discouraged, and burqa should be banned.
I always get a chuckle when I see these folks at the amusements parks. Husband is sporting shorts and short-sleeved shirt as are the kids while Mommy is decked in the burqa with only her eyes visible.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Plains Guy View Post
So your solution is to "discourage" all women from wearing them, at the expense of the ones who choose to wear them because of their deeply held religious beliefs?
Muslims don't have to wear it. Most women in Kazakhstan don't wear it, for example. It's a direction I like and is good for America, a Western country.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:47 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
An assault is stupid and ineffective
Make your actions count.... Work on laws...
Or..if you feel the calling activism
I'm not interested in living amongst a number of ethnic groups... But I'm drawn to other's
I don't want to be around Muslim culture because when practiced in the strict sense is a religion as we have seen of oppression and violence towards other peoples and other Muslims

Ripping off a hijab will just get you convicted
Exposing a radical mosque might get you the appreciation of a community..unfortunately we are quick to accept and slow to identify

Old 05-14-2016, 06:47 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
So what's a "measured response" to seeing a woman wearing a hijab?
I usually shake my head in disgust. It's a free country so she can wear what she wants. I can also indicate that her dislike for infidels is matched by my dislike for her and Mo.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:52 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Some are, some are not. The Muslim women who want to change need our encouragement and help.
From what I read, whether to wear the hijab is supposed to be solely the choice of the woman wearing it. So according to this interpretation, men (or countries) that force women to wear the hijab are wrong as they are interfering with the rights of women to make their own decisions. But on the other hand according to this interpretation, men telling women that they're brainwashed and oppressed for wearing the hijab and that they shouldn't are also wrong because they are interfering with the rights of women to make their own decisions.

I guess the best thing to do is to stay out of it.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:53 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Thats going too far, but I dont get why Muslims want to live here.
For the same reason they wanted to live in Spain in the 8th century.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spire+freedom+minaret&espv=2&biw=1533&bih =771&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwijy5S879 rMAhXrz4MKHetjBscQ_AUIBygC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies