Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Of course a system is going to fail when we let people on welfare have the same vote as people who produce for society.
I don't see a clear distinction between "people on welfare" and "producers."

i think this is a right-wing fantasy.

the overwhelming majority of americans, and large corporations, are on some type of "welfare", if we define welfare as: "benefits from the government that you didn't pay for."

the difference is that some people seem to think that welfare is perfectly fine when it benefits the holders of capital. They consider it "Pro business" to give away millions of dollars to corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 07:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Granted there is a lot wrong in this 300million+ country and there is a lot good....but Trump is coming to make it a better country, that's what he keeps telling everyone...he's the "fix it" guy. No plans laid out, but build a WALL is his mantra.
Every 4 years we have candidates who make all sorts of promises and tell endless lies. No president has ever fulfilled all his campaign promises. Sometimes Congress won't play ball even when the president and party are aligned by party. And sometimes they don't even try.

Trump and Bernie separated themselves from the pack by not taking big money donations. Yesterday Trump signed an agreement with the RNC to raise more than a $ billion for Trump and the party. Adelson is in as he was for Romney. When someone donates $ 100 million they expect a seat at the table and a return on their investment.

Every 4-8 years, voters get collective amnesia and seem to believe this time will be different.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:24 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Greyware wrote:

Have you seen the recent number on the national debt?
Do you not realize we produce very little in this country anymore?
Rates of home ownership are decreasing.
Person income has been essentially flat for years.
Labor participation rates are at historic lows.
We have almost 50 million people on food stamps.
I am constantly asked to donate to food pantries for the "poor"
You'd have thunk that after seven years of electing "the ones that we have all been waiting for" would have decreased the number of poor in the USA, not increase it, eh?

Really makes you wonder where Obama's $9 trillion in new fiscal operating debt went to, it sure as hell did not go to fight the war on poverty.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Every 4 years we have candidates who make all sorts of promises and tell endless lies. No president has ever fulfilled all his campaign promises. Sometimes Congress won't play ball even when the president and party are aligned by party. And sometimes they don't even try.

Trump and Bernie separated themselves from the pack by not taking big money donations. Yesterday Trump signed an agreement with the RNC to raise more than a $ billion for Trump and the party. Adelson is in as he was for Romney. When someone donates $ 100 million they expect a seat at the table and a return on their investment.

Every 4-8 years, voters get collective amnesia and seem to believe this time will be different.
Obama has not simply been unable to keep the promises he campaigned on, he went out of his way to do the exact opposite on things like the debt, NSA surveillance, transparency, expanding the war on terror, started a new war in Libya, etc...

Oh, and if you are concerned that a US citizen would donate $100 million to the RNC and "expect a seat at the table and a return on their investment," what does that portend for the $100 million Middle Eastern governments gave to the Clinton Foundation?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:56 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Obama has not simply been unable to keep the promises he campaigned on, he went out of his way to do the exact opposite on things like the debt, NSA surveillance, transparency, expanding the war on terror, started a new war in Libya, etc...

Oh, and if you are concerned that a US citizen would donate $100 million to the RNC and "expect a seat at the table and a return on their investment," what does that portend for the $100 million Middle Eastern governments gave to the Clinton Foundation?
I can't agree more and I voted for him in his first term. But when I saw what he was doing, (which was mostly nothing) to me, he was worse then Bush.

One thing for certain, there are a whole lot of angry people in this country & on these forums, so something isn't right.

Another thing is, my sister and I counted the number of factories, that were in full swing in our tiny little town while we were growing up...we couldn't believe our results, compared to now. We manufactured almost everything in this nation of ours...

We have no one to blame but ourselves for allowing all of this to happen...even today, we open threads on this forum of displeasure, but what do we do beyond that? Not much of anything. I've written my leaders, to no avail....it takes a community to stand together and fight these incompetent leaders.

And the proof is, just look at all the Trump followers, like it or not, something is wrong with this country otherwise, he wouldn't have so many followers....and all the other clowns are running around like scared chickens without heads, trying to discredit him....why? Greed....

Yes, this country is going to hell, and most of it knew it would with the open border concept. You cannot disobey laws, when you do, it effects everything else, plus, leads to other chain reaction problems...

My Gosh, the media won't report this, but our prisons are so full of criminals, they are letting criminals out of jail due to the fact that they are full people?????

Crime is not down, it has risen with all the illegals, we have no manufacturing jobs here any longer....

Our schools are a joke...kids can't sign their own names....we had a gal on Facebook state, that she took her son for something and he said, "mom, I can't sign my name in cursive????"

How many kids get into college because of their sports backgrounds, but can't even read??????

How many kids have great aptitudes to be in college and are not accepted b/c they are not minorities...this has caused a great effect on our intellectual productivity skills, far and wide.

And I work for a huge world - wide corporation and see more women in the workforce then ever before.

My son and his family moved to another state, before they moved, my grand daughter was failing 3 and 4 subjects...now, she is on the honor roll....?????

I see a whole lot of hostile angry people just in these forums....yes, indeed, our country is falling apart, when people try so desperately to disprove someone else's beliefs and in such a negative manner. Sheesh, I just cannot wrap my head around how nasty people are in this country right now.

for every positive post, there are 20 negative angry posts, very hateful, refusing to see the other side...you can and won't ever accomplish anything by refusing to see both sides of a subject....which we can thank our government for, misinformation, or none at all.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:29 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
mmmm, so lets just grab your made up figures and pretend they are true, shall we?

10 billion, + 5 billion, + 2 billion, is FAR LESS than the $100 billion a YEAR we currently spend paying for the illegals..
The numbers aren't made up. They came from contractors who analyzed the likely costs. I'm sure there's a margin of error of $2 billion, but there's literally no way this wall would only cost us $10 billion, even if by some miracle that covered the initial construction.

As for your $100 billion, you have to consider what it is that is costing $100 billion. Because their being hear doesn't really cost US anything. But many collect welfare and get government benefit, which does cost tax payers money. You didn't offer a break down of what the costs are, so I'm largely making guesses here (feel free to inform us though...), but I imagine police forces tracking them down, taking time to deport, and other related law enforcement things bring the costs up. What exactly would that wall do, regardless of how much it costs, to address that?

One simple thing we could do is make it the responsibility of an employer to notify the immigrant their visa is up, and if they take no action, they notify the police, who will help that person leave the country. If the employer doesn't do this, harshly fine him. 40% of illegal immigrants are here on an expired visa. Doing a better job of following up on that would reduce the number of illegal immigrants by nearly half. I imagine that's significantly more cost effective than the construction of a wall, which may keep people out effectively (or more realistically, bring the numbers down and slow the actual inflow of illegal immigrants) but wouldn't address the millions of those who are hear. It would then cost us to build the wall, and then we'd have to pay for whatever it is we have to do to address that millions of illegal immigrants who are already here, which I imagine is what's costing us that $100 billion. The wall is not a cost effective solution.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Our crime is NOT lower, I don't care what results you get off the internet...they have been doctored, and that I do happen to know for a fact. Speak with any police officer. Why in the world do you think they are setting more and more prisoners free? Prisoners, who have murdered? Murder used to get you life, no more?
Some convicted of non- violent crimes doing time in Federal Prisons have been released. A week or two ago there was a thread about a woman who was serving a life sentence because she had knowledge of her boy friend's drug activity and did not rat him out.

Most convicted of murder are in state prisons and the Federal Government has no say about their parole.

Every national stat shows crime peaked in the 90's and has fallen substantially since then. Crime is a local thing. While it may be down on a national level, it could be peaking in some municipalities.

What has changed is our awareness of domestic crime. Cable news and the Internet has made us all more aware of crime whereas we used to be limited to what crimes our local media reported.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:32 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Keep voting for political hacks like Hillary and you'll have the same govt shell game that aims to keep the poor people disenfranchised and the middle class running scared and the rich getting richer. The rich don't have any problems with immigration they live fenced off from the rest of us and they just want more cheaper workers. Unless the middle class revolt, nothing is gonna change with establishment party owning government.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:35 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Our economy is a failure. We borrow money to consume products manufactured abroad. Almost all the wealth in the United States was created decades ago when we had a real economy.

Our criminal justice system is a failure. It's a big money making scheme, many players involved.

Our education system is a failure. It's a disguised form a daycare for kids age 5-30.

Do I even need to discuss our failed political system? Of course a system is going to fail when we let people on welfare have the same vote as people who produce for society.
You know, I think you can find bipartisan agreement on most of what you wrote.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I can't agree more and I voted for him in his first term. But when I saw what he was doing, (which was mostly nothing) to me, he was worse then Bush. {snip}
I was opposed to Obama being elected, but after he won, and I saw the economic team he was putting together, and heard some of his statements, like ending all earmarks, etc... I thought maybe I was too hard on him, maybe he would take the country in a positive direction in at least a few important areas. But wow, just wow, did he prove me wrong. It was if Obama made a list of all the worst things he could do to harm this nation, and made them his priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies