Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 11:29 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,380,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I don't doubt sea level is rising. Did you not see the published paper that I cited? I doubt that it will all of the sudden jump from 3mm+/- per year to 10 feet in 45 years.

And what do you propose to do about this even if that was the case?
A 'sudden jump' is exactly what 'abrupt climate change' and 'tipping points' are about.

Let me Google Scholar that for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 11:32 AM

788 posts, read 512,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
A 'sudden jump' is exactly what 'abrupt climate change' and 'tipping points' are about.

Yes, because that is what it would take (the thread of a sudden jump) to scare you into giviing up your lifestyle and living like a mouse.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:41 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,384,355 times
Quote:
I've read quite a lot of papers and watched quite a few lectures on abrupt climate change.
Even your own link is not referring to 'global' cooling or a 'coming ice age' as you have claimed.
No but that is the implication of localized northern latitude cooling and its effects on albedo. Shut down the salt water moving north from the equator and northern Europe and Northern North America ice over. A Younger Drays type event.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I don't doubt sea level is rising. Did you not see the published paper that I cited? I doubt that it will all of the sudden jump from 3mm+/- per year to 10 feet in 45 years.
There was a sudden jump in Jakobshavn's speed when it lost its ice shelf. Do that kind of jump in speeds over the scales in Antarctica and the numbers add up.
Quote:

And what do you propose to do about this even if that was the case?
Sell sea level property now, and move to higher ground. Add more CO2 to the atmosphere to combat the coming cooling cycle.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Yes, because that is what it would take (the thread of a sudden jump) to scare you into giviing up your lifestyle and living like a mouse.
Don't be silly, none of the alarmists plan to alter their lifestyles. It's a cause you type about and not do anything about.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Don't be silly, none of the alarmists plan to alter their lifestyles. It's a cause you type about and not do anything about.
My take is a bit contrarian, I say OK the warming is real, that will lead to the ice sheets collapsing, and when that does we get global cooling like what happened in the Younger Drays And that is the start of the coming ice age. That no one has done any work to support this position isn't my problem, the position is accurate if unpopular.

So more CO2 that is what is needed now

Last edited by ContrarianEcon; 05-23-2016 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 11:57 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,193,756 times
If you consider that the sun is the #1 cause of climate change, all those sun deniers should reconsider their attacks on climate change deniers... or is it anthropogenic climate change deniers?

Old 05-23-2016, 12:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Why it is doing what it is doing doesn't matter. What to do about this? Build dykes like the Dutch do? CO2 reduction wont make a difference now.
CO2 reduction wont make a difference for at least 100 years at a minimum according to even the climate change "experts". also understand that the ice on greenland and iceland is only 100,000 years old, so that should tell you that ice doesnt stay around forever. 125,000 years ago the arctic was ice free. such is the nature of the ice age the planet has been in for the last 2 million years.

we have periods of glaciation, and periods where there are few if any glaciers, known as interglacial periods. nothing we do will change that no matter what those with inflated egos who think man can affect everything on the planet believe.

understand that the people pushing for higher taxes and more government to fight climate change, dont really care about the climate, and they do understand that man is insignificant in that regard. what they want is more government control over the people, and climate change is one way to get that control.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
CO2 reduction wont make a difference for at least 100 years at a minimum according to even the climate change "experts". also understand that the ice on greenland and iceland is only 100,000 years old, so that should tell you that ice doesnt stay around forever. 125,000 years ago the arctic was ice free. such is the nature of the ice age the planet has been in for the last 2 million years.

we have periods of glaciation, and periods where there are few if any glaciers, known as interglacial periods. nothing we do will change that no matter what those with inflated egos who think man can affect everything on the planet believe.

understand that the people pushing for higher taxes and more government to fight climate change, dont really care about the climate, and they do understand that man is insignificant in that regard. what they want is more government control over the people, and climate change is one way to get that control.
My take is a bit different than yours is. Yes we have pushed climate around a bit. But we are looking at another Younger Drays type event triggered by the collapse of Greenland's ice sheet. The correct climate input to counter this event is more CO2.

If you limit CO2 emissions you get top down control of just about everything we do as people. I'm not a fan of that.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:19 PM

29,509 posts, read 19,608,209 times
Quote:

I've done some research on abrupt climate change like that of the Younger Dryas and the PETM Younger Dryas plunged Europe into an Ice Age as freshwater flowed into the North Atlantic. The PETM was a result of volcanic eruptions in Siberia which pumped co2 into the air which in turn warmed the oceans and released methane from deep ocean hydrates.

We don't know what will happen in 50 years. Will we have abrupt climate change? This study says not likely

This says maybe, but ironically it would lead to a colder Europe and eastern North America as a result.

This study says Antarctic ice sheet stable until 600ppm (which we will probably reach in about 50 years).

This study says Antarctica is not losing but gaining ice mass

Again, let's say that NOAA study is correct and sea levels rise by 10 feet, in the next 50 years... What exactly do we do about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies