Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 02:36 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Federal Reserve bought privately-issued MBS for Maiden Lane. That program ended, and the Federal Reserve no longer holds any privately-issued MBS.

The Federal Reserve also bought GSE-issued MBS, and STILL TO THIS DAY holds $1.75+ Trillion of GSE-issued MBS.

Follow the created money... THAT'S where the problem is.
"Created money"?

It's all Mickey Mouse money. Use the promissory notes issued by the Fed or face the cage.

Just pointing out the redundancy of your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 03:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The people in denial that the government caused this needs to watch the movie The Big Short.
The Big Short does not place it all in the lap of the government. I saw it, I thought it was a great movie and it placed the blame where it belonged. Everywhere.

Quote:
It explains it quite well how the government and the rating agencies colluded with Wall Street. The government oversighit placed the bt agencies were NOT doing their jobs and they turned a blind eye to what was going on. They also pressured the ratings agencies to keep the bundled mortgages at AAA ratings while the actual mortgages were below B and were being defaulted on. They did this so the big WS banks could unload these bundled messes onto smaller banks to get WS out from under them. THEN the ratings agencies lowered the ratings causing the crash. It was a giant conspiracy on the part of the Feds, the rating agencies and Wall Street.
Correct......colluded. Perhaps you were noting that people are denial that the government wasn't at fault, also. I agree with that.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:13 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The people in denial that the government caused this needs to watch the movie The Big Short. It explains it quite well how the government and the rating agencies colluded with Wall Street. The government oversight agencies were NOT doing their jobs and they turned a blind eye to what was going on. They also pressured the ratings agencies to keep the bundled mortgages at AAA ratings while the actual mortgages were below B and were being defaulted on. They did this so the big WS banks could unload these bundled messes onto smaller banks to get WS out from under them. THEN the ratings agencies lowered the ratings causing the crash. It was a giant conspiracy on the part of the Feds, the rating agencies and Wall Street.
I've seen the movie and the pressure on the private rating agencies was coming from the private investment banks. The private investment banks needed 2 AAA ratings in order to sell the CDOs to prudent investors (ie large institutional investors like pension funds). There were 3 private rating agencies that would be accepted by most prudent investors. The private investment banks would threaten to take their lucrative business to the 3rd agency if they didn't get the rating they wanted. None of that involved the Federal Government.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:16 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Actually if you guys think, it becomes very clear -

So much had been built upon and hedges using the fraudulent rated bonds, it means not only collapse internally but globally, as well as Un-pegging the US Currency as a Reserve Currency. You can't fathom a scenario of devaluation to that magnitude. It would result to be World Economic Calamity, and Astronomical Inflation as the Values of currency globally would become devastated.
President Obama put things in place in many sectors but when he went toward Wall Street, Republican blocked the measures and they blocked measures again when he proposed enacting further regulatory management over banks.

You can't make full circle full depth correction without doing so to Banks, Insurance companies, Wall Street and Hedge Funds games playing.
Under the plans that did pass, the Stress Test put banks to the test, unfortunately, the right wing congress continue to fight for allowance of them to have a back door exist to increase profits by collusive means, and propped up on match-sticks.

America chose to live by Paper Shuffling, when it adopted the obsession with Outsourcing, Acquisition and Mergers and all the Economic destroyer pump and dump, puff and rip games, which ALWAYS negatively impact the lives of the American Average Citizen.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I've seen the movie and the pressure on the private rating agencies was coming from the private investment banks. The private investment banks needed 2 AAA ratings in order to sell the CDOs to prudent investors (ie large institutional investors like pension funds). There were 3 private rating agencies that would be accepted by most prudent investors. The private investment banks would threaten to take their lucrative business to the 3rd agency if they didn't get the rating they wanted. None of that involved the Federal Government.
The government is suppose to oversee and regulate all of this. No?

Old 05-26-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Actually if you guys think, it becomes very clear -

So much had been built upon and hedges using the fraudulent rated bonds, it means not only collapse internally but globally, as well as Un-pegging the US Currency as a Reserve Currency. You can't fathom a scenario of devaluation to that magnitude. It would result to be World Economic Calamity, and Astronomical Inflation as the Values of currency globally would become devastated.
President Obama put things in place in many sectors but when he went toward Wall Street, Republican blocked the measures and they blocked measures again when he proposed enacting further regulatory management over banks.
Total B.S. Obama didn't do squat but make sure the rich got even richer over the entire mess.

Quote:
You can't make full circle full depth correction without doing so to Banks, Insurance companies, Wall Street and Hedge Funds games playing.
Under the plans that did pass, the Stress Test put banks to the test, unfortunately, the right wing congress continue to fight for allowance of them to have a back door exist to increase profits by collusive means, and propped up on match-sticks.

America chose to live by Paper Shuffling, when it adopted the obsession with Outsourcing, Acquisition and Mergers and all the Economic destroyer pump and dump, puff and rip games, which ALWAYS negatively impact the lives of the American Average Citizen.
When Obama took over the (D)'s held the White House and large majorities in both the House and Senate and did nothing but make the people personally responsible for the next collapse.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:22 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It really doesn't matter how you look at it, it boils down to these GSEs not operating properly. Once again government policy messing things up, and in this case, cratering the economy.
It does matter how you look at it. There's a huge difference in saying, "The GSE's should not exist," and saying, "The GSE's caused the mortgage crisis."

Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The Federal Reserve bought privately-issued MBS for Maiden Lane. That program ended, and the Federal Reserve no longer holds any privately-issued MBS.

The Federal Reserve also bought GSE-issued MBS, and STILL TO THIS DAY holds $1.75+ Trillion of GSE-issued MBS.

Follow the created money... THAT'S where the problem is.
The Federal Reserve lent money to the Maiden Lane LLC which bought the MBS.

Of course the Federal Reserve still holds the GSE MBS. They also hold around 2.5 trillion in Treasuries. The Federal Reserve will hold them until the Federal Reserve feels they can unwind the positions without negatively impacting the economy. Now that the Federal Reserve has taken initial steps to start raising interest rates, I suspect that the unwinding of the LSAP positions will not be to far behind. There is currently no need to rush the unwinding.

Old 05-26-2016, 03:27 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Total B.S. Obama didn't do squat but make sure the rich got even richer over the entire mess.

When Obama took over the (D)'s held the White House and large majorities in both the House and Senate and did nothing but make the people personally responsible for the next collapse.
you got to be joking right???

Old 05-26-2016, 03:28 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,734,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Sounds nefarious. The government would never do such a thing.

(lightning strikes me and I fry typing at my computer)
I watched the market the entire year of the financial crisis, particularly after Bear Stearns went down in March 2008. That was the tip-off that something was very wrong. It took a while to work through, and the government even tried to issue $300 checks to Americans (I think that was in September) to spur the economy. Kind of wish I hadn't cashed that check, as it would be an interesting historical piece.

As far as Bank of America (BAC), Merrill Lynch, an investment bank, was also part of the government's orchestrated purchase. Ken Lewis was the then-CEO of BAC. My interpretation of what Lewis was saying at the time was that he was basically doing this for the good of the country. There was, of course, controversy that he put government intervention over shareholder interests, as there should have been. BAC had been minding their own business before all of this, but they had an enormous deposit base, and that's why the government needed them to buy ML and Countrywide: They could adsorb it.

In case you missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85ncuMtgHQ

@1:48 reporter says possibly "strong-armed."

If it were me, I would've made sure there was a clause that would've put the government on the hook for any lawsuits arising from anything specifically related to what was on ML our Countrywide's books, but it is what it is. If that could've been possible, to be sure. The only people who have a real beef are the BAC shareholders. And any officers from ML and Countrywide could still be sued personally. That I'd have no problem with. Otherwise, had Lewis refused to purchase them, ML and Countrywide were both going down, and it would've dragged the financial system down with it, so they say.

Lewis has kind of been forgotten for his part in all of this, which I think is unfortunate. IMO, BAC gets a get-out-of-jail-free card for Countrywide. The rest of it is just lawyer mumbo jumbo for jumbo-eating lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies