Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 08:07 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times

Advertisements

You might be aware already, but is a story like this ever repeated too often? I think not. And it's news to me.
http://graphics.latimes.com/product-of-mexico-children/
I have always chosen when available, American produce over Mexican. Starting today, if a produce item is only available from Mexico, I will do without. Fresh, canned, whatever, no more Mexico produce. The Mexican government can afford to require better conditions for it's people.
Some C-D folks are going to say, but they will loose their jobs. So be it, this is wrong. My money will not play a part in this any longer.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:45 PM

17,343 posts, read 11,281,227 times
I avoid anything that comes from Mexico, no matter what it is.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:53 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You might be aware already, but is a story like this ever repeated too often? I think not. And it's news to me.
I have always chosen when available, American produce over Mexican. Starting today, if a produce item is only available from Mexico, I will do without. Fresh, canned, whatever, no more Mexico produce. The Mexican government can afford to require better conditions for it's people.
Some C-D folks are going to say, but they will loose their jobs. So be it, this is wrong. My money will not play a part in this any longer.
In what way will those children be forced to earn money without agricultural fieldwork?

Child Sex Abuse In Mexico Increases In 2014, Study Finds

This Mexican town is the sex-trafficking capital of the world - Business Insider

Not the way it should be, clearly, but the way it is - fieldwork is a better alternative for them.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:55 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Is it the o.p.'s contention they not work at all and go hungry or as bjh points out, turn to prostitution?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:00 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
I avoid Mexican produce as much as I avoid any food products from China. For produce, I just stick with US or Canada.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:01 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I avoid anything that comes from Mexico, no matter what it is.

Why only Mexico?? why?? not even the toilet paper is made by adults in other countries- stop consuming everything!!-- buy a farm get a cow- goats, grow some cotton- vegs and fruit and get some chickens and dig a well and a pond for fish!

Our most basic purchases are produced by children. Though hard data is scant, it’s estimated that there are 115 million children worldwide in forced labor. There are some 128 goods among the products that most commonly use child labor,

13 Products Most Likely To Made By Child Or Forced Labor (PHOTOS)
Coal, diamonds, carpet, rice, clothes, cows, coffee tobacco, sugar, cotton , GOLD!

and we we even have a FORM for it! :

Children's Product Certificate
Certification means the issuance of a written Children's Product Certificate (CPC) in which the manufacturer or importer certifies that its children's product complies with all applicable children's product safety rules (or similar rules, bans, standards, or regulations under any law enforced by the Commission for that product.)

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Business--Man...t-Certificate/

Old 05-28-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Why only Mexico?? why?? not even the toilet paper is made by adults in other countries- stop consuming everything!!-- buy a farm get a cow- goats, grow some cotton- vegs and fruit and get some chickens and dig a well and a pond for fish!

Our most basic purchases are produced by children. Though hard data is scant, it’s estimated that there are 115 million children worldwide in forced labor. There are some 128 goods among the products that most commonly use child labor,

13 Products Most Likely To Made By Child Or Forced Labor (PHOTOS)
Coal, diamonds, carpet, rice, clothes, cows, coffee tobacco, sugar, cotton , GOLD!

and we we even have a FORM for it! :

Children's Product Certificate
Certification means the issuance of a written Children's Product Certificate (CPC) in which the manufacturer or importer certifies that its children's product complies with all applicable children's product safety rules (or similar rules, bans, standards, or regulations under any law enforced by the Commission for that product.)

Children's Product Certificate | CPSC.gov
Why so sensitive? Should the op list every country they boycott?

Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
In what way will those children be forced to earn money without agricultural fieldwork?

This Mexican town is the sex-trafficking capital of the world - Business Insider

Not the way it should be, clearly, but the way it is - fieldwork is a better alternative for them.
personally i think that it is better for children to work the fields than to be sex slaves dont you? i think this is a non issue in the end. how many children in third world countries are going to grow up and become engineers, or teachers, ro what ever? the fact is not many. so they may as well be useful to the family unit and earn money to help the family. dont like it? tough.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:12 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,486,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We do, also. We also have shifted our entire food budget to organic. We have seen how the wheat fields in the Palouse area are sprayed with Roundup or similar. You could smell chemicals and the white trucks with a black M in caps meant Montesano. Also, we have seen the farm hands driving around in their carts suited up in protective gear spraying the fruit during the growing season near Wenatchee, WA. Yuck!!!!

We also grow much of our own fruits and vegetables. Currently we are eating fresh strawberries, lettuce, spinach and asparagus. We also grow raspberries, blueberries, loganberries, and all sorts of veggies. If it isn't in season and not organic, I don't buy it. Ditto from Mexico even if organic.

Old 05-28-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Per the second link, the Mexican children are being kidnapped and sent to the US to farms to have sex with migrant workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies