Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 07:15 AM

89,016 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Actually, it does not. It still does not scale with words like "vast" and "complete" or the social issues the OP described.
So... you're thinking that failing to meet HS graduation requirements by declining to participate in the practice imposed upon every public school in the country to give anatomical males free and clear access to minor girls' changing/locker/shower rooms isn't complete? I'm not buying that. Especially when it's the minor girls themselves who object.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
What did we do twenty years ago and why do we have to change

Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... you're thinking that failing to meet HS graduation requirements
No I am thinking that a change to one aspect of one aspect of one aspect of school life does not constitute a "complete" or "vast" change. It is certainly a significant one. As I said perhaps it is merely a linguistic difference in how I use the words "complete" and "vast" but if that is as far as the disagreement between us goes (at least until such time as I explore this issue further which I have not yet done myself) then I think I can usefully leave it there for fear of boring any readers of the thread by us merely repeating ourselves at each other. For their sake, if not mine or yours, I hope you understand and agree.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 AM

89,016 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
No I am thinking that a change to one aspect of one aspect of one aspect of school life does not constitute a "complete" or "vast" change.
Actually, it does. PE credits are a HS graduation requirement.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:30 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
What did we do twenty years ago and why do we have to change
Your question is a tad vague. What did we do about what twenty years ago and which change do you refer to specifically? Are you referring to the thread as a whole or just the last 10 or so posts on it?

We have changed many things of late and I do not think we did it because we "had" to but because we decided it was the right thing to do.

Take Gay Marriage for example. This is something that is spreading across many states and countries. My own country of origin was, I have been led to believe, the first country to do it by referendum level public vote for example.

None of this "had" to change but people are more and more considering the pro's and con's and simply realizing it was the right thing to do. And that NOT doing it had no good arguments and the people standing against it were doing so solely and entirely for Religious Reasons, personal hatred of homosexuality, or both.

Some policies however, and perhaps the policy that has all but hijacked the thread at this point, do appear to be knee jerk reactions. Reaction that might even have been very well intentioned, but the ramification and implications of it merely poorly thought out.

As another user stated earlier, the squeaky wheel is usually the first to get the oil. And sometimes a large % of people can be inconvenienced merely because a tiny minority of people got vocal. And the policy makers merely made a change that, perhaps well intentioned, was intended to help the vocal one.

And I have seen some awful policies implemented because of that simple fact. One side was vocal, the policy makers made a change, and only when the reality of the change hit those outside it did they become vocal and go "wadda-hell did you do there????".

I guess one stark difference about today compared with 20 years ago is the internet and social media and twitter like messaging platforms have allowed minorities to make themselves heard more readily and for more people to jump on the bandwagon of asking for justice for them. And this can not be helpful to policy makers who need to make rational decisions based on listening to more than one side of an issue.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:43 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
All that said - hate crimes against the LGBT community ranks # 2-- we are still beating up and killing them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies