Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 03:04 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
That's true, most I've talked to don't know the difference. And they don't care what the difference is. They think of it in terms of dead kindergartners, regardless of how fast the rate of fire is.

All I'm saying is it's a waste of time to explain the difference between semi and full auto. It's irrelevant to their beliefs. It's only relevant to OUR beliefs.

To reach a common ground in these discussions, I think we should drop all the technical aspects of firearms. It really doesn't matter.

This is the template that I typically use, and it seems to work well for me:

1. "Why do you want to add more gun laws? Is it to save lives, or you just don't like guns? Either answer is fine." If they answer "I don't like guns", I cut bait. No common ground. If it's "to save lives" or "both", there's enough common ground to continue.
2. "Great, I want to save lives too! We've all heard the phrase "guns don't kill people, people kill people". You'll probably be pleased to know I don't agree with that phrase. I think it should be "guns don't kill people, people with guns or other weapons kill people". Do you agree?" If they agree, then it shows they can be reasonable. If they focus on guns only, usually they're not rational enough to continue, so I'll cut bait there.
3. "Sounds like we're on the same page here then. So we know there are evil people in this world that pick guns to create tragedies. How does adding more gun laws stop evil people from choosing other ways to cause tragedies, like driving cars into crowds of people or bombings like we see all over Europe?" From there, we can go into why more gun laws don't address the root problem. If they say "it's a start" or some such, we can go back to when we agreed that we want to save lives, and a life lost to gunfire is no different than a life lost to an explosion or vehicular manslaughter.

And if they throw a bunch of bad statistics or news articles in the discussion, I ignore them with "we could trade stats or news articles all day. Let's get to the root cause." They can't copy/paste articles that way, since they have to explain things for themselves. Once they do, they start to realize how all those Huffington Post and Mother Jones articles don't really hold water.

What has worked with you guys to reach a common ground? I know, most times it's a total fail, but what about when it wasn't?

For me, common ground is usually only reachable when the matter is discussed in person, with friends or family members.

Anti gun types on on internet forums are usually ideologues who's minds are made up on the subject, regardless of their misconceptions.

But whether you reach common ground or not, you still have to boil the argument down to what I consider the final point.

Instead of debating the technical aspects or how "reasonable" whatever restrictions they are advocating, get to the crux of the biscuit....

"At what point will you be happy with the limitations that you want to place on law abiding citizens from excercizing their 2nd amendment rights?"

Where exactly is the line in the sand that they think should never be crossed? When will enough be enough, regardless of whatever media induced hype is placed on whatever the next mass shooting or whatever it is that sparks their jihad on the constitutional rights of those who have not committed any crime?

Find that out, and you'll know if you're wasting your breath or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
For me, common ground is usually only reachable when the matter is discussed in person, with friends or family members.

Anti gun types on on internet forums are usually ideologues who's minds are made up on the subject, regardless of their misconceptions.

But whether you reach common ground or not, you still have to boil the argument down to what I consider the final point.

Instead of debating the technical aspects or how "reasonable" whatever restrictions they are advocating, get to the crux of the biscuit....

"At what point will you be happy with the limitations that you want to place on law abiding citizens from excercizing their 2nd amendment rights?"

Where exactly is the line in the sand that they think should never be crossed? When will enough be enough, regardless of whatever media induced hype is placed on whatever the next mass shooting or whatever it is that sparks their jihad on the constitutional rights of those who have not committed any crime?

Find that out, and you'll know if you're wasting your breath or not.
That's another good one. Either way, you're checking to see if they're capable of independent thought, or if they're getting worked up over something they've never looked at with a critical eye.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:39 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Why do you have to lie, to distort, to take things out of context? It totally discredits you. Fact is, the Democratic senator was talking about assault weapons, which indeed SHOULD be banned? Try telling the truth fora change. Oh! That's right! You wouldn't have an argument were truth deployed.

I think all guns, every gun should be outlawed. That's my belief, but I'm at least honest about it. Why do gun owners need an external penis in the form of a gun? Lacking in the manhood department?
When people break into your home and threaten the lives of your children, good luck beating them to death with your penis.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:49 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
I have yet to hear an example of a "common sense" restriction from the Left. Ask any gun hater for an example and they will stare at you like the proverbial deer in the headlights.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:50 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Not according to the anti-gunners. They blame guns for suicides.

Most often they are liberals who aren't collectively known for rational debate or thinking on some matters, including guns. Emotion rules their thought process.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Dude, reign it in, seriously.

I do not consent, to your demands

Old 06-08-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
There are lots of way to kill yourself.
And anyone wanted dead.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Welp, I gave the anti-gunners an entire day. Thought maybe it would give you enough time to look it up, but you all didn't even do that. I can only conclude from this that none of you all have a clue which one of those rifles that I posted images of was an assault rifle.

Too bad, the answer was really, really easy. REALLY easy.

Nonetheless, if you cannot figure out which one of those scary looking guns (zomg!!) is an assault weapon, then maybe you shouldn't be voting on bans. You're trying to ban things that you don't even know a thing about. When you can identify an assault rifle, and explain WHY it's an assault rifle, (the answer is not: "because it's black and scary looking"), then we can talk. Until then, I will continue to tune out every anti-gunner who thinks they have a point.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 PM

They cannot even tell us my hog gun is an assault weapon...

Old 06-10-2016, 05:34 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Anti gun people ONLY:

Which one of these is the assault rifle that you want to ban?

How about in this image, which one is it?

And this one? Choose the gun that is the assault weapon that you want to ban? (Hint: It could be more than one.)

Pro gun people: Do not answer.

.............crickets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies