Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,109,441 times

Advertisements

Puerto Rico needs the U.S. more than the U.S. needs Puerto Rico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,416,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Do you think Puerto Rico should be allowed to vote for it's Independence? Think any remaining US territories should have an option vote for Independence or become a US State.

What's your thoughts?
I believe they have voted NO SEVERAL times.

I have been to PR several times and as an American I wish they WOULD vote for independence and quit sucking from the rest of us taxpayers.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
I agree with all but Hawaii - as they have official statehood status. But all territories/commonwealths should have that right. That being said, economically and financially, it wouldn't make sense for them to sever ties to the most financial/politically stable country in the world.
"But all territories/commonwealths should have that right."

I believe they DO.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:26 AM

1,100 posts, read 635,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"But all territories/commonwealths should have that right."

I believe they DO.
There you go.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What are the perceived benefits to Puerto Rico? What are the perceived benefits for the USA? We know their economy is in the crapper, the per capita income is low, so how would PR statehood benefit us?

For those Puerto Ricans who are in favor of statehood, why? I was just there, and the people seem healthy and happy the way things are. As messed up as they are politically and economically, at least they get left alone and not dictated to by the US government.
"at least they get left alone and not dictated to by the US government."

The get billions in U.S tax dollars so they should be "dictated" just as any state.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:29 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,649,903 times
All US territories should have the right to independence.

I also have no issue with PR becoming the 51st if that is their CHOICE.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 AM

25,982 posts, read 22,176,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All U.S. territories or Commonwealths ....plus Hawaii, should have every right to go their own way.
I agree with this but as far as voting to become a state, unless invited to do so, I would say no. As we know Puerto Rico has gotten themselves in a financial bind and I don't want to take on anymore financial burden which is what I suppose we would be doing. We need to bail out what we are working with now.

Yes, additional benefits: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tehood-anyway/ Where does the money come from?

I think it is fine if they want to be independent. I would agree to cut them all loose!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:12 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy2016 View Post
I agree with all but Hawaii - as they have official statehood status. But all territories/commonwealths should have that right. That being said, economically and financially, it wouldn't make sense for them to sever ties to the most financial/politically stable country in the world.
OK...we disagree on Hawaii.

But we aren't the most financial/politically stable country in the world. Our government is totally dysfunctional and we're basically broke. There are lots of good reasons for them to go their own way. But i do agree with you that they're in no position RIGHT NOW to strike out on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What are the perceived benefits to Puerto Rico? What are the perceived benefits for the USA? We know their economy is in the crapper, the per capita income is low, so how would PR statehood benefit us?

For those Puerto Ricans who are in favor of statehood, why? I was just there, and the people seem healthy and happy the way things are. As messed up as they are politically and economically, at least they get left alone and not dictated to by the US government.
Well, i believe in that "poop or get off the pot" principle. They're U.S. citizens, and as such they need to grab oars and start rowing like the rest of us. This territory/commonwealth stuff is far too nebulous of a status for my taste.

For me, it's become a state or go out on your own. It's been more than a century now. Puerto Ricans have fought for this country and have earned their right to statehood as far as i'm concerned. Or perhaps we can join the country to the state of Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Puerto Rico needs the U.S. more than the U.S. needs Puerto Rico.
Is that basis of how we should treat American citizens? They never asked to join us. We wrestled it away from the Spanish. Obviously, we saw some value in having the territory under our aegis at the time. So why scream about how they need us so badly when the relationship started out on the premise that we NEEDED THEM?

That comes off as mean spirited. This isn't the Taliban...these are our fellow citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I believe they have voted NO SEVERAL times.

I have been to PR several times and as an American I wish they WOULD vote for independence and quit sucking from the rest of us taxpayers.
Well, i'm not gonna go along with the "sucking" comment, but i agree with your overall sentiment.

Look, they're an island with limited resources. What do you expect them to do financially? There's only so much room for growth. You think West Indians would live in this country if they had a choice? LMAO...no way. They'd stay on those nice, warm beautiful islands. They come here because on islands, opportunities are limited. It's tough to make a living.

Hell, in Puerto Rico, a job with the Post Office is damn near like being a lawyer. It's THAT tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I agree with this but as far as voting to become a state, unless invited to do so, I would say no. As we know Puerto Rico has gotten themselves in a financial bind and I don't want to take on anymore financial burden which is what I suppose we would be doing. We need to bail out what we are working with now.

Yes, additional benefits: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...tehood-anyway/ Where does the money come from?

I think it is fine if they want to be independent. I would agree to cut them all loose!
You're already taking on the financial burden. We're still responsible for the island. That's why we need to end this vague ass relationship and bring Puerto Rico into the family of states where they become full participatory citizens.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:08 PM

19,260 posts, read 17,134,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I would rather see our dollars helping a Commonwealth of the United States rather then some third world whatever who would just a soon kill us after they take our money.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:12 PM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
As I said somewhere else, I just got to spend some time there as more than just a tourist. Even though they are considered Americans, the PR culture is their own and the language is Spanish. This is not a culture that would assimilate into the USA, any more than making France a state or Mexico a state would be.
The Puerto Ricans have their own way of doing things. To us, their political system is totally f***ed. If they became a state, would they be required to have a few manageable political boundaries, or would they be able to keep things the way they are?
My feeling is the mainland has enough to worry about without trying to change PR, which manages to chug along just fine. Maybe we'd just spoil it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies