Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:34 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times

Advertisements

Japanese people may be slim, but they smoke far more than Americans do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Basing healthcare premiums on waist size is fair. Those with waist sizes greater than the limit would either pay substantially more or do without.

Apply same standards to Medicare and Medicaid, too.

Instead the US puts " My 600 Pound Lifers" on Disability and Medicaid. Makes no sense to subsidize those who decline to take personal responsibility for their own health.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:23 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Obesity in many European countries is also much higher than in Japan but the cost of health care is the same as in Japan. The US system is terrible for the people but great for the big pharma and insurance companies.
Healthcare spending in Japan is significantly below that of Western and Northern Europe.

http://www.medicalprogresstoday.com/...800x365-41.png

I won't argue that the US system is terrible and highly overpriced, though we likely do not agree on why that is.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:27 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Obesity rate in Japan: 3.5%
Obesity rate in the US: 35%
Well, Americans love to eat!

Old 06-07-2016, 09:28 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,735,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The smoking rate in Japan is 4.5% higher according to 2015 OECD figures. I don't know if I would call that far more.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:36 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
You know what else Japan does right?

IMMIGRATION.

I'll take their healthcare stance if we can also take their stance on immigration.

Deal?
The flip of that is that they will be experiencing a population decline and subsequent revenue declines as the young have to support the old.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:37 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
There are far fewer healthcare related lawsuits and much lower awards in such suits. Also, doctors are paid a lot less. I have a student who is among the top gastric cancer surgeons in Japan (and Japan leads the world in that specialty) I think he makes about $150,000 per year. A comparable surgeon in America would make at least 4 times that much.

The downside for Japan is the skyrocketing cost of new chemotherapy drugs to treat their elderly population. They will have to move to a less generous system of reimbursement for those medications or face a crisis within the next few years.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:37 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I favor private with no bureaucrats between me and my doctor.
Obviously you don't know what a prior authorization or a formulary is.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:43 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
You know what else Japan does right?

IMMIGRATION.

I'll take their healthcare stance if we can also take their stance on immigration.

Deal?
That's actually a problem for the Japanese because they have an ageing population and a shrinking workforce. Which will probably put a bigger burden on their health care system in time.

Old 06-07-2016, 09:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
But they also walk, run, or bike everywhere. The last time I worked there, I was in better shape at sge 65 than I was at age 45 in the U.S.

And take it from someone whose family availed themselves of Japanese doctors, dentists, hospitals, and clinics regularly: the Japanese healthcare system is vastly more efficient than America's.

Having said that, it's important to make a few distinctions between the two.

For one thing, the population of Japan, while older, is much more active and fit than that of America. They have to be, or they'd never get to work, school, or anywhere else. Cars are an expensive and often impractical luxury. If you miss the bus, train, or subway, you're cooked. If you grocery shop on the way home, and forget the mayonnaise, guess what? You schlep back to the market. On your bike. Often in the rain. Holding an umbrella.

In addition, the prices of drugs, procedures, hospital stays, tests, etc. are set by the government and publicly posted in many clinics and hospitals. There are no lengthy waits for a bill, write-offs, co-pays, and all the other BS that keep U.S. Insurance companies fat, and employ countless thousands of women to shuffle files around and explain why this or that isn't covered by company A but might be by company B, etc., etc. At a Japanese hospital, you pay the bill when you leave, to a cash machine that also takes credit or debit cards, and knows who you are, what room you were in, which doctor treated you, with what medicine, what prescriptions you were given ( often at the hospital or clinic -- none of this driving across town to find a pharmacy open) -- all after reading your little medical card, whichnis good all over Japan...

Most important, though, is the focus on patient care rather than on satisfying insurance companies, accountants, and drug companies, as in the U.S. Doctors in Japan -- aside from those who operate expensive clinics -- are more modestly recompensed than their U.S. counterparts. Private rooms, TV sets, and other paraphernalia are foregone in favor of simple, delicious food, immaculate cleanliness, and nurses and other hospital staff who pay more attention to patients than to the computers that rule their lives in America and leave them grim-visaged and exhausted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies