Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2016, 10:30 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
None of those are written into the Bill of Rights. The right to bear arms is.
As is the right to form a militia for the express purpose of
standing against a tyrannical government.

We know how much the Clintons hate militias from our
experience in the 1990s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
"Keep and bear arms" Go look up the definition of "bear" and get back to us.

Let me bear my ass to the world and I will get back to you, if people are offended... Oh wait, that means exposed. So, CC is not constitutional.

Watch how government hassles you if you open carry(bear) your side arm or long gun.

Wait... it also says keep. It is left wide open where I chose(liberty) to keep it. I might want to keep it in my boot, or my pocket.

Last edited by BentBow; 06-10-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-10-2016, 10:45 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
We can't get past race long enough for everyone to come together to form a militia against the government so no worries of that ever being an issue....... we will keep fighting each other while Big Brother sits back and watches it happen. If we're focused on that, we can't pay as much attention to what they're doing behind the desk.

I don't think the 2nd Amendment specifically discusses concealed carry. That wasn't an issue when it was written. Just open carry and be done with it. They can hassle all they want, but it's a Constitutional right.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:21 AM

858 posts, read 708,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
None of those are written into the Bill of Rights. The right to bear arms is.
The point I was making was that you do have that right...in your own home. Once you are out of the home, you affect others and society so hence it is a valid common sense decision by the court.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Choosing to carry has nothing to do with fear and everything to do with, as the Boy Scouts teach, "being prepared."

Do you think that cops carry firearms because they're afraid? No, they carry because they realize that they might need to defend themselves or another person from bodily injury or death.
In other words, fear. If you want to carry a gun, become a cop or join the military. That's the way Australia approached the problem and all but eliminated mass shootings. On second thought, become a cop. The military doesn't allow open carry on bases, either. There are very good reasons for that.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:29 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
The point I was making was that you do have that right...in your own home. Once you are out of the home, you affect others and society so hence it is a valid common sense decision by the court.
No, when you are outside your home, that's where the 'bear' part comes in. There's a reason it was written as "keep and bear". Keep means own, and it's implied that you're keeping them in the home. Bear means to carry. If they meant the same thing, it would have been redundant to include both. They mean distinct and different things.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:32 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,600,924 times
Not a "gunnut" but it absolutely amazes me that a so-called judge can blatantly ignore a constitutional provision in the bill of rights.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:39 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,673,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
In other words, fear. If you want to carry a gun, become a cop or join the military. That's the way Australia approached the problem and all but eliminated mass shootings. On second thought, become a cop. The military doesn't allow open carry on bases, either. There are very good reasons for that.

Absolutely right! I'm fearful that some wackjob will try to shoot up a store with my family in it. At that point my only defense for them is to bear arms. I'm not in fear of the law-abiding citizen who is openly carrying or concealed carrying a firearm.

A law only works for those who abide by it. Criminals do not. What it DOES allow is for criminals to have a much easier time picking off those who they know are unarmed.

And as for Australia..... are you sure they have no issues since the gun ban?

"
Charges for crimes involving firearms have increased dramatically across the island nation’s localities in the past decade according to an analysis of government statistics conducted by The New Daily. It found that gun crimes have spiked dramatically in the Australian states of Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia, and Tasmania. In Victoria, pistol-related offenses doubled over the last decade. In New South Wales, they tripled. The other states saw smaller but still significant increases.
Experts said that the country’s 1996 ban on most semi-automatic firearms has actually driven criminals to those guns. “The ban on semi-automatics created demand by criminals for other types of guns,” professor Philip Alpers of the University of Sydney told The New Daily. “The criminal’s gun of choice today is the semi-automatic pistol.”

Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,637,366 times
Quote:
In other words, fear.
Myth. I'm no more fearful with my concealed firearm than I am using a seatbelt. They're for my safety, but I don't think I'll be getting into a shootout or car wreck. But if I need one, I'd rather have it there.

Preparation is not fear. If it is, you're just as fearful as a concealed carrier.

Quote:
If you want to carry a gun, become a cop or join the military.
Myth. I'm not a cop or in the military. I carry BECAUSE I'm not a cop, nor do I want to be. My firearm is the last resort, after every other way to exit a bad situation is exhausted.

Quote:
That's the way Australia approached the problem and all but eliminated mass shootings.
Myth. The gun bans in Australia cost them hundreds of millions of dollars, and the murder rate is flat. Let that sink in for a minute. $500 million. 0 lives saved. Australia's gun bans were a massively epic fail.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,529 times
Quote:
In other words, fear. If you want to carry a gun, become a cop or join the military.
No, it's not fear. I did my time in the military and that's one of the reasons that I bought an AR-15 rifle that gun control proponents love to hate: it's what I trained with and I feel comfortable with operating one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies