Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:31 PM

371 posts, read 426,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCM7950 View Post
Oh and how much more economic "egalitarianism" do you need? Blacks, Indians, Jews, and every other minority under the sun can come to America and experience more opportunity, wealth, and prosperity than anywhere else in the world. Our laws and justice system is more egalitarian than just about any place on Earth.
Why are you comparing their human rights to other countries, those populations aren't in other countries, they are here, compare it to the standard here.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:38 PM

The people in the federal government are watched more closely and people are waiting for them to f up and fail because they want to take their job, the federal government has nepotism, but it's more of a meritocracy than state governments, that's why they are on better behavior. They can't just do things that will affect a large number of people, where the state governments, hardly anyone knows what they're doing. They don't talk about local politics on the news ever, people are kept ignorant. If everyone was involved in local politics your proposition would work, but as I say again, they keep up ignorant.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diallomacedo View Post
Pregnancy and cutting off someone's income isn't a human right? .
Lucy needs to take responsibility for her own actions. I never had kids because I didn't want the responsibility, I'm getting a little bit tired of being expected to pay for someone else's poor choices.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:43 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Pregnancy and cutting off someone's income isn't a human right? If anything it definitely overlaps.
She is free to have as many kids as she wants. A job isn't a human right, it's a contract that you either sign or not.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
She is free to have as many kids as she wants. A job isn't a human right, it's a contract that you either sign or not.
Until it happens to your daughter.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Lucy needs to take responsibility for her own actions. I never had kids because I didn't want the responsibility, I'm getting a little bit tired of being expected to pay for someone else's poor choices.
Lost cause.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:34 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,226,625 times
See, the problem is that this is not at all a black and white issue. What is a human right? While some cases, I think it's pretty obvious who is right. Example, slavery is wrong. America was founded on liberal ideas, like equal rights and individualism, and it's pretty clear that slavery is a violation of that law. Some states disagreed, so much so that we fought a war over it. They were wrong.

Other issues are somewhat less clear. Gay marriage. While I personally support gay marriage, there are arguments that I'm willing to hear. Not religious ones; your religion is your business and no one should give a **** what you believe. But if you think that marriage is a utility for raising kids or believe that marriage should not involve the government at all, I can respect that. And I think the solution should have been that government only recognizes civil unions for all people, then marriage can be a personal/religious thing. It's a moderate compromise. Issues like abortion, healthcare, and education are also somewhat debatable.

While I agree, a sate shouldn't be violating human rights. The problem is, it's not always clear what that means. Nor is it always certain that the federal government will stand up for real human rights. I think that really sad truth is that there isn't an easy solution to the human rights problem you are identifying. Certainly not a solution that fits all situations.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Lost cause.
Why is expecting people to be responsible for their actions a lost cause?

Old 06-10-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Until it happens to your daughter.
If it were my daughter she would have been taught from an early age there is consequences for your actions and I would hope she would liver her life responsibly. Being my daughter if she was unexpectedly put into this situation I would certainly help if it was needed, I wouldn't expect the rest of the world to take responsibility.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:55 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
The are The United STATES. We have the Bill Of Rights that are universal for all levels of government, but most everything else is set by the states or local municipalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies