Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,850,990 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been shot or shot at? - Yes[
Have you ever shot or shot at another person? - Yes
Has a close family member or friend been killed as a result of a gun (intentional or accidental)? No
Do you personally know of any children that have been killed as a result of a gun? No
Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your own - by the use of your gun? Yes
Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your won (own?) - without a gun? Yes
Do you hunt animals as the primary source of your food or for "sport"? No
Have a large number of crimes against people (murders, robberies, rapes - NOT property crimes) occurred in your immediate neighborhood, your side of town, where you work? No, No, Yes
Do you live in an urban, suburban, rural setting? No, Yes, No
What are your views on the 2nd amendment and gun ownership? Owning weapons is a fundamental right of a free person
Should ALL felons be prohibited from gun ownership? Yes

Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,967,087 times
I see a straw man brewing here.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,892,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post

Have you ever been shot or shot at?

no
Have you ever shot or shot at another person?

no
Has a close family member or friend been killed as a result of a gun (intentional or accidental)?

yes
Do you personally know of any children that have been killed as a result of a gun?

yes
Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your own - by the use of your gun?

no
Have you "saved" anyone's life - besides your won - without a gun?

yes, (not a violence related incident)
Do you hunt animals as the primary source of your food or for "sport"?

I only hunt varmits, and no I don't eat them.
Have a large number of crimes against people (murders, robberies, rapes - NOT property crimes) occurred in your immediate neighborhood, your side of town, where you work?

moderate
Do you live in an urban, suburban, rural setting?

halfway between urban and suburban
What are your views on the 2nd amendment and gun ownership?

I love guns, everyone should have one.
Should ALL felons be prohibited from gun ownership?

Only violent ones.

As expressed by every pro-gun advocate in the other thread, gun control breeds more crime.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,732,213 times
NO

NO

Has a close family member or friend been killed as a result of a gun (intentional or accidental)?
NO

Do you personally know of any children that have been killed as a result of a gun?
NO

NO

NO

NO

Have a large number of crimes against people (murders, robberies, rapes - NOT property crimes) occurred in your immediate neighborhood, your side of town, where you work?
NO

Urban

I think we should be allowed to have guns, conceal guns, and have a responsibility to protect our own...Can't rely on the police or crooked govt.

No...only those with a history or violence/crime.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,700,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Folks like TK and CNI just have no clue at all. In TK's case, I believe he's a 13 year old boy trying to sound like he's a real tough guy. If, not that's how he sounds to me. Let him live in his fantasy life where he's faster than a trigger finger and or a bullet and I truly hope that he never has to confront a true criminal intent on shooting him. He'll be just another statistic. I do have to agree that one should be proficient with fists, feet, etc. He seems to think that's all that's needed. A gun is just one link in the self-defence chain. I do not pretend to be able to dodge bullets or move faster than a trigger can be pulled but I can be vicious in protecting myself if needed. I simply don't think I can handle all situations myself such as multiple assailants or someone much larger and possibly on PCP. I'm not a young man any more either. How would TK have an older or partially disabled person or a small framed man or woman defent themselves? The gun is the great equalizer. TK, please try not to get shot, ok?
The frail and week need not survive. Only the strong need to. I'm 37, and I'm stronger today than I was as a teenager. Of course, I also weigh twice as much. At work, I have to pick up close to 300 pounds to take something off a pallet, and put it gently in its spot. The table saw is the heaviest thing...at 287 pounds. I also handle safes and generators. Oddly, women don't last long in that sort of work...too demanding for them, I suppose.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I can defend myself just fine sir. I don't believe in fair fights when it concerns my life. That is one of the reasons I studied my art. With a hand gun, I can make that fighting even simpler, safer for me and my family. I have nothing to prove to anyone, so I care little about your bravado. Your "experience" will do nothing in a situation with me if you were an intruder. It would simply result in your death.
Whatever. As I said, I haven't died yet. I have always won...because I'm one tough little bastard. I don't have an ounce of "give up" in my body. There's only one way to find out. Break into my home, gun or no, and I'll give you the beating of your life.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
This is intended to accompany the existing "Guns" thread.
I often wonder if the strongest 2nd amendment advocates have good reason for feeling that way (i.e., live in the most dangersous parts of town, have been robbed, raped, etc.).
I tend to believe the people with the greatest threats to their lives are not often the ones pushing the hardest for gun rights.
Maybe answers to the questions will help me gain an understanding.
Feel free to answer as many or as few as you like.

No. No. No. No. I don't use guns. I wouldn't put myself out for someone else--I'm the only person that matters to me. I don't hunt or fish...why should I? I don't know...I've been assaulted a number of times in my life, and always come out on top. I consider it to be a suburban area...and it has too many people. I believe the 2nd Amendment prohibits the FEDERAL government from banning guns, but does not STOP state or local governments from taking similar actions. I also believe that the NEED for guns was to provide a MILITIA, whose guns could be kept in an armory, for defense. However, if we're going to retain a national guard and a standing army (and other military), couldn't they serve that purpose? Not ONLY felons should be prohibited...but anyone that COULD actually shoot someone else should be prohibited from owning a gun.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:40 AM
CNI

194 posts, read 579,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Your building a straw man here.

How can I not get it right? Do you even know the laws of your own state?

Let me clue you in about mine.

In Texas, if you enter my home without permission you can be killed legally. There is no mistakes to be made. I don't have to ask if you are here to harm me, I don't have to measure your threat. I don't have to look for an escape plan or do really anything but protect my home with lethal force.

So, whats your point?

Edit: about your first point though. I know "of" some police officers who have went to jail, yet guess what? They committed crimes. So, hmmm let me see here. All I have to do is follow the laws and not commit any crimes. Only a completely moron would have a hard time living with those conditions.
You FABRICATE as "entering my home" scenario and avoid the original questions you were asked. Can you answer the original questions? You don't want to answer the original questions because you know what the answers will expose.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You FABRICATE as "entering my home" scenario and avoid the original questions you were asked. Can you answer the original questions? You don't want to answer the original questions because you know what the answers will expose.
If you enter my home, as a police officer, on a warrant--am I justified in shooting you? That's my question. I'm not even interested whether you entered the RIGHT home or not. In your scenario, someone enters your home, especially with a weapon, can legally be shot.

Even if he's a police officer, right?

Old 03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
CNI

194 posts, read 579,137 times
To all the people who really stand for what they believe in (by answering the questions)...I find that honorable.
The others...it is your choice but it really makes you look rather contradictory.
if you feel so strongly then why get so hostile over these questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies