Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2016, 05:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Chicago does not clear top ten in terms of cities with highest gun homicide rates.

Most of it in Chicago is black on black, gang related and geographically limited.
I've been to Chicago a few times (I usually stay in the lovely Lincoln Park and North Beach areas) and I never felt unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 PM

26,496 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've been to Chicago a few times (I usually stay in the lovely Lincoln Park and North Beach areas) and I never felt unsafe.
Yes, Chicago is a massive city at 234 square miles. Much of it is very safe - especially the touristy areas and business areas. Other parts of the city are as dangerous as anywhere in the entire US.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:22 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Because, clearly, black lives matter.

City records 300th homicide with 13 over Father's Day weekend

As usual, that gun control is really working wonders in Chicago.
Not when it comes with criticizing a Democrat city and one "close" to the Potus heart!

Old 06-21-2016, 08:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on how to solve the high homicide rate in Chicago?

Create economic freedom for the people to create business.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:48 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You people are really nutty about Chicago lol.

For the millionth time, Chicago, for a big city is actually not all that dangerous of a place. All of the US's biggest cities - Chicago, LA, and NYC have tight gun laws, Chicago's is not the most restrictive.
Agreed. Conservatives couldn't find Chicago on a map prior to the Obama administration.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Create economic freedom for the people to create business.
And what exactly does this mean? What do you propose?

Old 06-21-2016, 08:55 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Agreed. Conservatives couldn't find Chicago on a map prior to the Obama administration.
That's not so. It's just that they leave Chicago when their workday is over and head home.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:13 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
If you're ever near the lakefront, heads up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Quote:
A robbery crew targeted people along the Lakefront Path near Belmont Harbor yesterday afternoon—repeatedly tossing bikes in front of oncoming bicyclists in an effort to knock people down so they could be robbed according to multiple witnesses and one known victim.

...Police were unable to locate the offenders, but one man later showed up at Illinois Masonic Medical Center for treatment of injuries that he suffered in an attack at the north end of Belmont Harbor. Officers have categorized the incident as an armed robbery—with the weapon being a bicycle.

All three men are described as black with short hair, 18-23 years old, 5’9” to 6’ tall and thin.
Chicago: Robbery Crew Targeted Bicyclists Along Lakefront Trail

Old 06-22-2016, 05:55 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Let the punishment for murder be death. It wouldn't stop the killing but it would certainly slow it down.
Totally agree! It would slow it down and save taxpayers a lot of money.....

Old 06-22-2016, 05:58 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Because, clearly, black lives matter.

City records 300th homicide with 13 over Father's Day weekend

As usual, that gun control is really working wonders in Chicago.
How is gun control ever going to work in a place like Chicago, when Indiana is a short drive away? Same with NYC and Penn. Or DC and Virginia. LA and Nevada. And on and on. Can't really have islands of gun control in an ocean of guns.

Black lives do matter, and I agree that black communities plagued by violence need to focus on the violence and culture of silence that enables gangbangers and thugs to terroize neighbourhoods, as well as on police brutality. Both are legitimate issues, but only one seems to really galvanize the communities where violence and police brutailty are serious problems. I suppose it is easier to demonize the outsiders who come into the community and harrass and sometimes abuse and kill innocent people as opposed to the kids down the block who you watched grow up, but who have turned the streets into killing fields. The issue is a complicated one, but I can't entirelt blame black communities for not trusting the police. However, that is no excuse to let murderous thugs run loose in the community.

Last edited by TOkidd; 06-22-2016 at 06:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies