Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:38 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times

Advertisements

remember this ridiculousness?

Quote:
A major blow for a father trying to clear his son’s name. The suspension for a seven-year-old boy has been upheld after he chewed his breakfast pastry into a gun.

The story stirred up controversy nationwide, WJZ’s Rick Ritter explains, while his parents demanded the suspension be taken off his record.

“It was blue and it was a rectangular one, a cherry one,” Josh Welch said.

It’s the world’s most controversial pastry — one that ripped through national headlines.

“It wasn’t a big deal to him. He figured it could go bang bang and he was just playing around,” his father, B.J. Welch, said.

In March of 2013, second grader Joshua Welch chewed his breakfast pastry into the shape of a gun and pretended to fire it. Park Elementary School suspended him for two days, leaving his parents outraged.
Judge Upholds Suspension Of Boy In Pastry Gun Incident « CBS Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 11:05 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,137,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
There seems to be more to the story than the reductive conservative narrative (what a surprise). The child was being disruptive, and had been so many previous times (20 formally documented cases according to the school, and who knows how many other times that did not get formally documented)

The "pop tart gun" aspect of the story is the part that many have chosen to focus on (and why this stupid story continues to have legs), rather than the child's disruptive behavior. Ironically, many of the people getting whipped up into a frenzy about this are also the loudest complainers about the "Snowflake Generation" where kids are coddled, and allowed to do as they please without discipline.

So, for those who want to conveniently ignore the many other facts in this case.
Is suspension an extreme punishment for the sole action of simply chewing a pop tart into a gun? Sure.
Is suspension an extreme punishment for a child who is habitually disruptive and has been disciplined 20 times before for such behavior? I don't think so.

I suspect that most who are whipped into an outrage about this have never bothered seeking out the whole story and are just parroting nonsense they've heard some right wing media talking head.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:10 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,860 times
Ahmed the clock boy is laughing his *** off.
Brought a bunch of jumbled wires in a box, knew the apologists for Islam; the Democrats, would turn him into a martyr.
If you can't get 72 virgins, you can get a visit to the White House.

Poor pop-tart kid will get no love from the Dems.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,227,244 times
Yeah, what the other poster said.

He wasn't suspended for having chewed a pop-tart into a gun. He was suspended for being ass. Repeatedly.

And because his question was fun, to conservatives who think that kids these days are being coddled, would being suspended for being disruptive and having daddy fight to clear his name not count as coddling? Also, is the fact that this story is almost always reduced to 'suspended for a gun shape' also the fault of the liberal media? Just some questions that I doubt will get answered, but asking them is fun. And who knows, maybe someone will respond. That would be fun.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Brought a bunch of jumbled wires in a box, knew the apologists for Islam; the Democrats, would turn him into a martyr.

To be honest, I barely followed the clock kid. The story I've heard told most was that he made a clock, brought it to school for some reason, and a teacher got scared it was a bomb and had him suspended. The only people who confirm your story of places like Breitbart, so naturally, I'm skeptical. But, there could be some truth to it and if there is, then the clock kid is, just like the pop-tart kid, an ass. And if what you're saying isn't true, and the teacher simply overreacted, then the suspension simply should have been reversed. There was literally no reason to get Obama involved in this stupid non-story.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:17 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,137,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post

Because reasonable people think kids should behave themselves in school.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:20 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
There seems to be more to the story than the reductive conservative narrative (what a surprise). The child was being disruptive, and had been so many previous times (20 formally documented cases according to the school, and who knows how many other times that did not get formally documented)

The "pop tart gun" aspect of the story is the part that many have chosen to focus on (and why this stupid story continues to have legs), rather than the child's disruptive behavior. Ironically, many of the people getting whipped up into a frenzy about this are also the loudest complainers about the "Snowflake Generation" where kids are coddled, and allowed to do as they please without discipline.

So, for those who want to conveniently ignore the many other facts in this case.
Is suspension an extreme punishment for the sole action of simply chewing a pop tart into a gun? Sure.
Is suspension an extreme punishment for a child who is habitually disruptive and has been disciplined 20 times before for such behavior? I don't think so.

I suspect that most who are whipped into an outrage about this have never bothered seeking out the whole story and are just parroting nonsense they've heard some right wing media talking head.
Yes, there usually is more to the story than meets the eye. However, some people like things kept simple-minded.

I recently wrote a case (child disability) involving a child (age 9 or 10) that was constantly disruptive at school and in the classroom. Tantrums, screaming, pushing other children, etc. I am sure, if said child in my case, had fashioned a 'gun' our of a pastry and started screaming 'bang, bang'. his teachers would not be amused. Indeed, if this kid had a real gun with him, it probably would not have gone down well. The action would probably be interpreted as what he wished he could do, but can't, due to lack of a real gun.

So it may be here. This child's precedent behavior led to his short suspension. I could understand the outrage if it were a simple, isolated incident by some child that is otherwise a model of behavior, but such is not, seemingly, the case here.

As for my case: the judge denied the claim. We had plenty of evidence that when the child was taking his medications, his behavior markedly improved. Since the mother was seeking SSI benefits, she stopped (as she admitted to one MHMR doctor) giving her son his medications, hence his behavior again decompensated.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:22 AM

27,655 posts, read 16,142,781 times
If only he were muslim he'd have invite to the white house

Old 06-21-2016, 11:31 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,783,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post

Damn you and your FACTS!!!

Old 06-21-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
If only he were muslim he'd have invite to the white house
So, when you're given a slanted story and evidence is shown that proves this kid wasn't suspended for a pop-tart shaped gun, you simply make it about a different story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies