Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,775,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
First off, I find it odd that your OP link is to a psuedo racist site instead of the actual NYT op-ed piece...

I actually don't find it odd that you would try to defame someone by calling them a "pseudo racist", apparently not realizing that the term can only mean "not really a racist".

As for the NYT piece, as I am not a subscriber I was not allowed access.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,597,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I actually don't find it odd that you would try to defame someone by calling them a "pseudo racist", apparently not realizing that the term can only mean "not really a racist".

As for the NYT piece, as I am not a subscriber I was not allowed access.
I guess the more accurate term would be "quasi-racist"

Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM

596 posts, read 429,520 times
Here's a better idea. How about these marginalized groups invent their own AI. Start from the ground up, and invent the whole thing to ensure there is no "inherent bias" built into them.

*snicker*

Old 06-27-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
Here's a better idea. How about these marginalized groups invent their own AI. Start from the ground up, and invent the whole thing to ensure there is no "inherent bias" built into them.

*snicker*
I suggested this earlier in the thread.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:03 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,052,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
In other words:

Reality is racist.
It's also about choice.

Black men are more likely to commit crimes than other groups of people, which is statistically true. Do we want to use that knowledge in an AI model? Probably different people have different opinions.

If a credit card company assigns higher credit lines to Asians than to blacks (especially for young people), other things being equal, it can be statistically smart/valid to do so. However, does our law allow this? I do not know.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
But if more black people like yours truly learn more machine learning, we can counteract these with our own models that are more sophisticated.
Not likely, but I wouldn't bet against you getting some foundation to pay you to try. You could call it the "Black AI Project".

Quote:
I like the idea of "racist big data". This means that there is an actual market for black people who want to go into the vast field of machine learning and data science.
Go for it. Ahmed the Clock Boy proved that there is a huge untapped market for anti-racist pseudo-tech.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I should have added that apart from this specific issue, I do think we should listen to the geniuses when it comes to AI.
Sam Harris makes a pretty convincing case for why we should be very worried:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwDnvA7mQMQ

Last edited by The Dark Enlightenment; 06-28-2016 at 12:22 AM..

Old 06-28-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Not likely, but I wouldn't bet against you getting some foundation to pay you to try. You could call it the "Black AI Project".

Go for it. Ahmed the Clock Boy proved that there is a huge untapped market for anti-racist pseudo-tech.

Curious. Why the term "pseudo-tech"?

Old 06-28-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Curious. Why the term "pseudo-tech"?
... because I think "racist big data" is pretty much a bogus concept. Certainly some of the examples cited in that NYT article are bogus. So any attempt to address the issue with a technical fix would just be compounding the nonsense. That said, it sounds like a great idea to pitch to some liberal organization for grant money.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:47 AM

Quote:
... because I think "racist big data" is pretty much a bogus concept. Certainly some of the examples cited in that NYT article are bogus. So any attempt to address the issue with a technical fix would just be compounding the nonsense. That said, it sounds like a great idea to pitch to some liberal organization for grant money.
I said "racist big data" to be synonymous with "biased big data". I think this is the issue in the world of data. All day, no matter how much we would not like it to be, has a pre-existing bias. Sometimes it's actually good. In terms of crime prevention, it may or may not be good.

Me personally I'm biased, because I think the word "crime" has to be evaluated. I don't think selling drugs should be a crime, and I feel if drugs weren't a crime, we would see less black people actually committing "crimes". So I was just thinking that me, or someone who is black and interested in this problem could build a model like this as proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies