Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I guess you can't be "half white" in America.What gets me is people thinking because the President had a white parent he escaped being treated like regular black person. IMO Black people with a White parent should be more angry because they have a unique perspective of how idiotic racism is. Many of them grow up as culturally White as you can be and still be Black. When I say culturally White I don't mean they talk white. Many go to White schools and churches, have all White relatives and live almost solely among White people, but still get the Black treatment as soon as someone finds out their complexion is due to having a Black parent.
All Americans are "culturally white."
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
There is no issue with colorism in the black community.
Lol...that's funny.

That said, I won't argue with you here about the issue. This isn't the place for it. But I know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Oh pleeeez get off your high horse. This all the terminology we've used amongst ourselves.
B.S.

Blacks say that our kids are "sired!" Since when? What are we...horses?

And since when do blacks call other blacks "militant?" That's white folks speak for any black person that dares to get angry about injustice....real or perceived.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:03 PM

39,220 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
"Snobby" and "militant" are certainly not the same thing.

Biracial children today are not likely to have been raised to think of themselves as "black" (which is a major difference between a biracial kid born in 1960 from one born in 1990).

A person who does not think of himself as "black" is going to have different behavioral "tells" from one who has been raised to think of himself as "black"--especially in adolescence. What might be called "snobbiness" is really not having the right behavioral "tells."
Well, I didn't say "snobby" is "militant"

The topic of the thread is "why are bi-racial and or light skinned blacks are more militant."

I think if these folks grew up conscious of rejection, they sometimes came to the conclusion that those who rejected were evil and those who accepted them were good.

Take my gal pal for example, she is a very light skinned black chick. (Her mother is black, her dad is white) Pretty much all her friends are white, white mixed, etc because she grew up in a predominately White Neighborhood. She is now dating a very dark skinned black guy, oh my God, the discrimination she experiences is cringeworthy.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:28 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Why should a whole group of people be characterized by the actions of one?

Old 06-27-2016, 01:49 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,588,923 times
I'm still waiting for the "colorism exist" crowd to prove it exists. I detailed several reasons why it doesn't and really can't exist. But it's funny I was originally called "an idiot" for not "recognizing colorism". But when I proved there isn't colorism, the peanut gallery goes silent. Why do I get the feeling sometimes I'm the only sane black man alive?

Old 06-27-2016, 01:51 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And since when do blacks call other blacks "militant?" That's white folks speak for any black person that dares to get angry about injustice....real or perceived.
Well, back in 1968 when I first grew out my 'Fro, there were older blacks who asked me if I was a "militant." That was a significant question at that time, because it implied the difference between the SNVCC and the Black Panther Party. Those were genuine differences.

But today...you're right.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
She is now dating a very dark skinned black guy, oh my God, the discrimination she experiences is cringeworthy.
From which groups? This is an honest question.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
All Americans are "culturally white.".
Compared to non-Americans.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:12 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting for the "colorism exist" crowd to prove it exists. I detailed several reasons why it doesn't and really can't exist. But it's funny I was originally called "an idiot" for not "recognizing colorism". But when I proved there isn't colorism, the peanut gallery goes silent. Why do I get the feeling sometimes I'm the only sane black man alive?
Nothing personal, but none of your reasons make any sense though.

You're measuring disparities by outcome rather than the formula and the ingredients that went into it.

Basically what you're saying is that the ingredients don't exist, people simply disagree with that.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:23 PM

596 posts, read 428,577 times
Quote:
I'm still waiting for the "colorism exist" crowd to prove it exists.

Scholarly articles from, guess who? Racist white republicans who vote for trump?

Nope, AA studies majors. People who study AA culture in America.

The Skin Color Paradox and the American Racial Order

The Persistent Problem of Colorism: Skin Tone, Status, and Inequality

The relationship between skin complexion and social outcomes: how colorism affects the lives of African-American women

The Impact of African American Skin Tone Bias in the Workplace: Implications for Critical Human Resource Development

The Effects of Internalized Oppression on the Black Community

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF SKIN COLOR AMONG AFRICAN AMERICANS

Consequences of Skin Tone Bias for African Americans: Resource Attainment and Psychological/Social Functioning

Interracial Discrimination: Segregation Amongst the Segregated

Skin Tone and Stratification in the Black Community

BLACK WOMEN’S SKIN TONE AND EMPLOYABILITY

Colorism/Color-Struck: House Slave vs. Field Slave Mentality

SHADES OF BROWN: THE LAW OF SKIN COLOR

EXPLORING THE IMPACT OF SKIN TONE ON COLORISM WITHIN FAMILIES, RACISM, AND RACIAL SOCIALIZATION AMONG AFRICAN AMERICAN ADOLESCENTS

He's Dark, Dark; Colorism Among African American Men

The Impact of Colorism on Historically Black Fraternities and Sororities

Color (Sub)Conscious: African American Women, Authors, and the Color Line in Their Literature

Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
I disagree. I think bi-racial light skinned black people are much nicer. Generally speaking.

Quote:
My friend is a light skinned black girl, she has always been bullied by dark skinned black girls.

Black men (darker or lighter), are all pretty nice. But girls are different. That is my experience.
This is extremely offensive, by the way.

Perhaps brown and dark skinned black women do not appreciate being prejudged as "bullies" or "not nice" simply because of the color of our skin. Based upon you comments its obvious that you are not nice to brown or darker skinned black women.

Quote:
Well, I didn't say "snobby" is "militant"

The topic of the thread is "why are bi-racial and or light skinned blacks are more militant."

I think if these folks grew up conscious of rejection, they sometimes came to the conclusion that those who rejected were evil and those who accepted them were good.

Take my gal pal for example, she is a very light skinned black chick. (Her mother is black, her dad is white) Pretty much all her friends are white, white mixed, etc because she grew up in a predominately White Neighborhood. She is now dating a very dark skinned black guy, oh my God, the discrimination she experiences is cringeworthy.

I feel for your friend and her experiences but the discrimination goes both ways.

BTW, how many brown skinned or dark skinned black women have you befriended? How many of their personal, anecdotal colorism stories have you heard?

I attended elementary school with mostly light skinned, Creoles and they are very discriminatory against darker skinned blacks. They can be a very closed community based strictly on skin color, hair texture and facial features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJwy8yJNKpA

Last edited by calipoppy; 06-27-2016 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies