Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 10:44 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times

Advertisements

Our veterans deserve better. That sounds like a cliche but dammit to hell, they DESERVE BETTER.

From the article:
Dietary employees at the hospital have claimed that the infestation has become so severe that cockroaches will crawl across preparation tables while workers are preparing the meals. Several kitchen employees have refused to come in to work in protest of the unsanitary conditions for the veterans. As a result the facility has become severely understaffed, losing over 25 workers in the course of a few weeks.

Veterans Served Roaches For Dinner At Chicago VA Hospital In Big Infestation | American Military News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 11:11 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
A complaint should be called to the health department. The inspector will go there & if the problem is as bad as it seems to be, the inspector will shut the place down until the infestation has been eliminated. Then the facility should have ongoing pest management. Live roaches in a food prep area is an immediate closure, no question.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:00 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Our veterans deserve better. That sounds like a cliche but dammit to hell, they DESERVE BETTER.

From the article:
Dietary employees at the hospital have claimed that the infestation has become so severe that cockroaches will crawl across preparation tables while workers are preparing the meals. Several kitchen employees have refused to come in to work in protest of the unsanitary conditions for the veterans. As a result the facility has become severely understaffed, losing over 25 workers in the course of a few weeks.

Veterans Served Roaches For Dinner At Chicago VA Hospital In Big Infestation | American Military News
What really bothered me is this

The VA is denying there is a problem despite testimony from dozens of employees and patients.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:02 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
They have spread to DC as well.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:03 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
This is disgusting.

We spend more on military than the next 7 nations combined, but can't afford to provide basic sanitary conditions for our vets?

What??

Old 07-03-2016, 12:19 PM

The Department of Veterans Affairs doled out more than $142 million in bonuses to executives and employees for performance in 2014 even as scandals over veterans' health care and other issues racked the agency.

Veterans Affairs pays $142 million in bonuses amid scandals

I said in another thread that many of these government employees should be fired, and posers there almost bite my head off.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
A complaint should be called to the health department. The inspector will go there & if the problem is as bad as it seems to be, the inspector will shut the place down until the infestation has been eliminated. Then the facility should have ongoing pest management. Live roaches in a food prep area is an immediate closure, no question.
Illinois Senator Mark Kirk this week has introduced legislation that would require the VA to have health inspections conducted at all of its hospitals kitchens and food prep and storage areas on a regular basis following a cockroach infestation scandal at the Hine’s VA hospital in Chicago Fox News reports.

Sen. Kirk Intros Bill To Require Health Inspections Of VA Clinics Following Scandal At Chicago’s Hines Hospital | USofArn.com

Old 07-03-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
The Department of Veterans Affairs doled out more than $142 million in bonuses to executives and employees for performance in 2014 even as scandals over veterans' health care and other issues racked the agency.

Veterans Affairs pays $142 million in bonuses amid scandals

I said in another thread that many of these government employees should be fired, and posers there almost bite my head off.
Disagree. VA needs to be shut down and veterans assigned to the health care providers of their choice. I've seen one of these big city hell holes in person. Murfreesboro TN. He went twice and the second time I looked at my husband and said "You're not coming here ever again".

Thankfully we now live more than 30 miles from the nearest VA facility here in ID and my husband was recently assigned to a local physician for routine medical care. The VA he used in WY was a good facility and so was the one here until he got a local doc. But we made the conscious decision to drive 250 miles to a very small VA as opposed to going to a loca facility in a larger town (made a camping trip out of it whenever we traveled up there). Big city VA's will kill you. I believe that absolutely.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Disagree. VA needs to be shut down and veterans assigned to the health care providers of their choice. I've seen one of these big city hell holes in person. Murfreesboro TN. He went twice and the second time I looked at my husband and said "You're not coming here ever again".

Thankfully we now live more than 30 miles from the nearest VA facility here in ID and my husband was recently assigned to a local physician for routine medical care. The VA he used in WY was a good facility and so was the one here until he got a local doc. But we made the conscious decision to drive 250 miles to a very small VA as opposed to going to a loca facility in a larger town (made a camping trip out of it whenever we traveled up there). Big city VA's will kill you. I believe that absolutely.
You disagree many of these government workers should be fired?

Old 07-03-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
You disagree many of these government workers should be fired?
Lilyflower - I disagree that "many of these government workers should be fired". I believe that ALL VA government workers should be fired. I think that the entire VA system should be disbanded, ALL VA employees should be fired, and that all veterans should be using civilian medical services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies