Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:37 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,700,298 times

Advertisements

Just last week a young guy I work with came to me and asked "Can the IRS call you and threaten to sue you even if they will not tell you when you did not pay them ?" I asked him what was going on and he said he got a scary call from them saying they were going to have him arrested if he didn't pay up.

I immediately told him to stop any conversations and give me the phone number they called from. He had it in his phone so we Googled it and lots of people were saying they also got calls from that number and it was a scam.

Remember. THE IRS NEVER CALLS YOU TO COLLECT, they send letters and communicate only that way, unless you have opened a dialog with them via the phone.

There must be a special place in Hell for these scammers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I think they can route foreign calls through an American number. Could be completely wrong about that though.
No, you're not wrong.

My wife gets these calls to.

Also watch out for the ones who call you and claim they are going to lower the interest rate on your credit cards. That's a phishing scam too.

Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Got a recorded call from a "Ryan Smith", who has a strong East Indian accent saying not to ignore him as he's an officer with Canada Revenue and it's about fraud on my tax return....Gave me a call back number, which I ignored....The name and his accent gave him away...

Old 07-06-2016, 12:00 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I have been called by them.

One left a callback number, so I called back nonstop. They'd stop answering and then I'd start again the next day. They stopped answering it permanently after a week.

Another, about two weeks ago I insulted real hard, he tried to insult me back but couldn't keep up. I had him so furious he could barely speak. I'm guessing in his country, there was a news article about him going postal and taking out a dozen of his fellow IRS agents.

My favorite are the guys from Microsoft helping me fix my computer. My record is 42 minutes with one on the line.
the guys that supposedly call from microsoft, actually claim to be calling from windows. i tell them all to go F themselves, my mother tells them YOU LIE, either way we hang up on them.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:38 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
What I SO want to do when I get these scam calls, most of them from out of the country, is to just say "I didn't get that, did you just say you were going to assassinate somebody, commit a terrorist act, etc? " Then say I'm going to contact the FBI or the CIA and report them. Maybe they'd get on a watch list with all calls being monitored but I'D most likely be put on one as well and they'd investigate me being a far easier target. Plus the feds are bunglers anyway and I'd doubt they'd bother with real criminals and would again go for an easy target even if it was a waste of time. . It might scare these scammers, though.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:43 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,060,162 times
Happened to me a few times. I always Googled the number and it turns out they're a scam.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:17 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
I've gotten these scam calls for years...we google the number from caller ID on our phone, and never answer unless it is somebody we know or do business with.

Our local news channel did a story on the IRS calls before.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:10 PM

12,780 posts, read 14,996,596 times
A man named Ofr David Miller (yet w/ a strong broken/Indian accent) calling "on behalf of the IRS/Fed Bureau" left my SO "to pay $XXX accumulated btwn 2009 & 2014 or else they'll be an arrest warrant."

My SO was rattled & even called the guy back (ay, ay, ay ), but claims he didn't give this guy any info...I sure hope! I know for a fact too that the IRS nor any other so-called company w/ the IRS never calls, but only mails letters.

The phone number the person was calling from was 914 - 297 - 6412.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:22 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
scam [snip] IRS

Whether they are government thugs or private ones, it is still a scam either way.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
Anyone else get these calls? This is my second year in a row receiving them. They will leave you an automated message saying they're the irs, and you're about to be sued. When you answer, they threaten you. I knew it was a scam, so I played along for a bit and then said some choice words to them, and they immediately hung up. They were calling 5x a day, but after they realized I'm not a sucker, they took my name off. Scary that a lot of old folks fall for this and give out their bank info to these crooks.
Yep, my elderly mom on hospice got one and she was real upset. After they threatened to sue they told here they would call back. She hung up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies