Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:59 PM

7,535 posts, read 11,377,454 times

Advertisements

We've been hearing this stat a lot lately. This link breaks it all down.

Quote:
Over the span of more than a decade, 2,151 whites died by being shot by police compared to 1,130 blacks. In that respect, Medved is correct.

However, Brian Forst, a professor in the Department of Justice, Law and Criminology at American University, said this difference is predictable.

"More whites are killed by the police than blacks primarily because whites outnumber blacks in the general population by more than five to one," Forst said. The country is about 63 percent white and 12 percent black...

Talk show host: Police kill more whites than blacks | PunditFact

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 11:02 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,957,588 times
Total numbers mean nothing when you are comparing groups that comprise 70% and 13% of the population. Those comparisons have to be made proportionately. Anyone who tries to use total numbers is either an idiot or a manipulator.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:06 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,595,995 times
Yes white people should also be against the police. Racializing the issue is blatantly here to keep white people apathetic about police brutality. As long as they feel the victim is a black thug, they kind of will always feel it's justifiable. But if we made society to aware that white cops are getting shot too, then black and whites will unite on this issue. I do feel this unity is inevitable, and it's going to be really bad day for the US Government.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:09 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,921,505 times
I guess whites are OK with more whites being killed by police because there are far more whites to begin with.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:10 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,595,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
I guess whites are OK with more whites being killed by police because there are far more whites to begin with.
I don't think most white people are aware that whites are being killed by police that often. Sure people who come on messageboards know, but that's not most people in America.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:12 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,571,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
We've been hearing this stat a lot lately. This link breaks it all down.

Anyone with any understanding of American demographics should know that that was a bogus statistic. Anyone who says "but more whites are killed by police officers" is either stupid or pushing an agenda.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:13 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,957,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Or maybe it's because in a country of 300M+ people, only 2100ish whites were killed by police in 10 years, and it's almost certain the vast majority of those were criminals.

So no, not going to get too worked up about that.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:21 PM

21,167 posts, read 19,768,059 times
Wait, I thought people of color made up 1/2 of the population. Isn't that the narrative of the liberals trying to scare the white oppressors into believing their country is being taken over by the innocent victims? lol

Old 07-08-2016, 11:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,508,547 times
Yeah..white people don't care because most of us don't know anybody who has been killed by a cop. We assume that the white guys who are shot somehow had it coming. I personally don't know people who even have had any altercation with a cop. Our biggest annoyance with cops are receiving speeding/parking tickets. We don't want to associate our-self with trouble makers. We don't make excuses for other white people and their issues in life.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:41 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,953,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Yeah..white people don't care because most of us don't know anybody who has been killed by a cop. We assume that the white guys who are shot somehow had it coming. I personally don't know people who even have had any altercation with a cop. Our biggest annoyance with cops are receiving speeding/parking tickets. We don't want to associate our-self with trouble makers. We don't make excuses for other white people and their issues in life.
This. Remember the white bikers who got shot up by the cops in Texas (9 killed)?

Many people just thought they had it coming. I'm one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies