Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,952 times

Advertisements

Please, tell me why Ronald Reagan was not a "liberal" equal to Hillary Clinton when it comes to the Second Amendment.

He was a liberal and was no friend of the Second Amendment. It is shocking to me that current GOP politicians claim to be fans of Ronald Reagan and also claim to be pro-Second Amendment.

This is their hero, Ronald Reagan::

Quote:
The Mulford Act was a 1967 California bill that repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms. Named after Republican assemblyman Don Mulford, the bill was crafted in response to members of the Black Panther Party who were conducting armed patrols of Oakland neighborhoods while they were conducting what would later be termed copwatching. They garnered national attention after the Black Panthers marched bearing arms upon the California State Capitol to protest the bill.

Republicans in California supported increased gun control. Reagan was present when the protesters arrived and later commented that he saw "no reason why on the street today a citizen should be carrying loaded weapons" and that guns were a " ridiculous way to solve problems that have to be solved among people of good will." In a later press conference, Reagan added that the Mulford Act "would work no hardship on the honest citizen."

The bill was signed by Reagan and became California penal code 25850 and 171c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 11:23 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
In his Guns & Ammo column, Reagan left little doubt about his stance on the Second Amendment, writing: “In my opinion, proposals to outlaw or confiscate guns are simply unrealistic panacea.”

Reagan’s stance was that violent crime would never be eliminated, with or without gun control. Instead, he said, efforts to curb crime should target those who misuse guns, similarly to the way laws target those who use an automobile feloniously or recklessly. Saying the Second Amendment “leaves little, if any, leeway for the gun control advocate,” he added that “the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive.”

Gun Rights Under President Ronald Reagan

Sounds pretty friendly to the 2nd amendment to me.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:27 AM

643 posts, read 472,177 times
So frigging what? Skankles voted for the war in Iraq. Your using appeal to authority its a fallacy in thought.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:38 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,733,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Please, tell me why Ronald Reagan was not a "liberal" equal to Hillary Clinton when it comes to the Second Amendment.

Hmmmmm, Just looking at post #2 in this thread, I'd say you've been told why.

But I'm sure that wont stop plenty more leftists from piling on, to try to convince those with weaker minds that Reagan was a liberal.

Funny, if the intellectual dishonesty wasn't so sad.

CN

Old 07-11-2016, 11:42 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post

He was a liberal and was no friend of the Second Amendment. It is shocking to me that current GOP politicians claim to be fans of Ronald Reagan and also claim to be pro-Second Amendment.

This is their hero, Ronald Reagan::
Last time I heard that Ronald Reagan was no god and he passed away a long time ago.

Please try Bush, who is still alive.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Reagan had dementia in his second term and Nancy ran the show.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:33 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
is this the blame-Ronald-Reagan-for-the-police-shootings-in-Dallas thread?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:37 PM

17,809 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
So frigging what? Skankles voted for the war in Iraq. Your using appeal to authority its a fallacy in thought.
From the horses' mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn_yLWttxc4

Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,958,896 times
Reagan in no way, shape, or form supported taking away the guns from the American people. He supported the 2nd amendment and was a member of the NRA. Twist it any way you want but that does not change his support for the people to keep and bear arms.

Again...

In his Guns & Ammo column, Reagan left little doubt about his stance on the Second Amendment, writing: “In my opinion, proposals to outlaw or confiscate guns are simply unrealistic panacea.”

Reagan’s stance was that violent crime would never be eliminated, with or without gun control. Instead, he said, efforts to curb crime should target those who misuse guns, similarly to the way laws target those who use an automobile feloniously or recklessly. Saying the Second Amendment “leaves little, if any, leeway for the gun control advocate,” he added that “the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive.”

Old 07-11-2016, 01:51 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
He took away Californian's right to carry and started the slide into tyranny that state has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies