Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Or, at least that's what it seems to be? Is there a cause or reason for it?
Why are most people who lack a high school education conservative? I bet you can find the same answer for your question and this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 08:49 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Rationalization for failure among those who equate perceived academic superiority to economic success is the refuge of liberals.

Liberals, who consider themselves (incorrectly) to be "brilliant", yet do not achieve wealth (which they seek), retreat to the safety of academics.

I have never, EVER, meant an intelligent liberal. Liberals tell me that they are intelligent and that there are, in fact, intelligent liberals. I have never encountered ONE "intelligent" liberal who could not be, in the course of five minutes, to be reduced to the level of an idiot in a simple examination of facts and sophistry. It is hilarious.

A false premise is very difficult to defend, even by a skilled orator. Introduce me to an "intelligent liberal" who can defend their views in a spirited debate. There may be one out there, but it is like the pursuit of a "Big Foot"- hard to find.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Why are most people who lack a high school education conservative? I bet you can find the same answer for your question and this question.
Got any proof for that?

Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I am sure just as many of the people who lack a high school education are liberals, so what's your point?

Old 07-10-2016, 08:58 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
While college professors are more liberal on average than the general public, they're not as liberal as we think. It's mostly a stereotype that some conservatives use to derail conversation.

I will say that in order to become a college professor, you need to (in most cases) do a PhD program, which forces people to think critically and analytically. So while you might get academic George Will type conservatives on occasion as college professors, you're not going to see the Trump populist types or the hyper-religious types amongst college professors.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:58 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Got any proof for that?

Exactly! He/she has no proof to offer because it is pure BS.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:03 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Rationalization for failure among those who equate perceived academic superiority to economic success is the refuge of liberals.

Liberals, who consider themselves (incorrectly) to be "brilliant", yet do not achieve wealth (which they seek), retreat to the safety of academics.

I have never, EVER, meant an intelligent liberal. Liberals tell me that they are intelligent and that there are, in fact, intelligent liberals. I have never encountered ONE "intelligent" liberal who could not be, in the course of five minutes, to be reduced to the level of an idiot in a simple examination of facts and sophistry. It is hilarious.

A false premise is very difficult to defend, even by a skilled orator. Introduce me to an "intelligent liberal" who can defend their views in a spirited debate. There may be one out there, but it is like the pursuit of a "Big Foot"- hard to find.
Hawkeye you just need to get out in the world and out of the OR for a while. I have known many intelligent liberals in my life. Someone has to have an IQ over 100, so law of averages is certainly different than your closed opinion.

Why Are So Many College Professors Politically Liberal? – EvolutionBlog

Old 07-10-2016, 09:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

The fact that you don't understand what someone is saying doesn't necessarily mean they're not making sense - it could just mean you don't understand what they're saying. From the many posts of yours I've read here, i am inclined to suspect that the reason you don't think a single liberal ever said something intelligent has more to do with you than with every single liberal you've ever met. You seem to have a tendency to make up your mind and slam the door before seeking any alternate perspectives, because you think that since you've got it all figured out on your own, there's no reason to listen to anyone else.

In fact, your very post is so completely illogical that it alone is strong evidence of that - however, i would be surprised if you grasped that.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
As you have so aptly demonstrated.
Nope - - I'm the college professor.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
There are conservative college professors out there but they tend to lean more libertarian/classical liberal. They're basically in their own little world because the modern day conservative social/religious movement wants nothing to do with them, and vice versa. I just can't picture any of these guys watching FOX or listening to Rush Limbaugh; they're too good for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies