Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:19 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times

Advertisements

Detroit Detective Demoted After Calling BLM Protesters 'Terrorists' - NBC News

He said what many posters here have been saying, and continue to say. That BLM is a racist or terrorist group. You may not agree with him, and you may not like what he is saying, but what happened to freedom of speech? Why should he be demoted if he is an otherwise upstanding detective? I know Detroit is hurting for police right now, so what is the point of messing with him? He has not threatened anybody. If I were him, I would quit ASAP.

Here is another person of much greater influence saying something to the same effect.

Rudy Giuliani: Black Lives Matter 'inherently racist' - CNNPolitics.com

If we do not have freedom of speech in America, what is the point of calling it America anymore???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 08:24 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Detroit Detective Demoted After Calling BLM Protesters 'Terrorists' - NBC News

He said what many posters here have been saying, and continue to say. That BLM is a racist or terrorist group. You may not agree with him, and you may not like what he is saying, but what happened to freedom of speech? Why should he be demoted if he is an otherwise upstanding detective? I know Detroit is hurting for police right now, so what is the point of messing with him? He has not threatened anybody. If I were him, I would quit ASAP.

Here is another person of much greater influence saying something to the same effect.

Rudy Giuliani: Black Lives Matter 'inherently racist' - CNNPolitics.com

If we do not have freedom of speech in America, what is the point of calling it America anymore???
No, it's not. Anyone speaking against the liberals should be punished.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:26 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
I agree with what he said but I also believe an employer has a right to fire employees who identify their employer and make controversial comments. If a black officer said that KKK members are pieces of $h!t, he should be fired too.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 PM

6,417 posts, read 1,435,114 times
I also agree what with he said. Black Lives Matter are racists and ignorant as well. And, I certainly believe he could have been suspended for a day or two, but not demoted.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
These sorts of things have been hashed out in the courts many times. It's not a violation of ones rights because it clashes with others rights and those rights have been deemed superior.

What words like this do is show a bias against a certain segment of society. Something we can not allow by law enforcement.

Any minority arrested will have an automatic built in defense.

He should be relegated to a desk job as he is no longer useful in anything else.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:39 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Que the first Liberal to chime in and regurgitate the pablum about the First Amendment only applying to government punishing or restricting free speech.

Guess what? ......if it comes from an employer, especially a public employer like a Police Dept. That is funded with tax dollars, it's pretty much the same thing.

Liberals HATE free speech.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:40 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I agree with what he said but I also believe an employer has a right to fire employees who identify their employer and make controversial comments. If a black officer said that KKK members are pieces of $h!t, he should be fired too.

Police are part of government....not private employers.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

You've got to be kidding me. If a black officer said what you suggested in your example, he wouldn't be demoted (or fired). That is the point. And you know it.

I hope the officer fights this attack (by an arm of the government, BTW) tooth and nail.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:44 PM

29,827 posts, read 24,917,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What words like this do is show a bias against a certain segment of society. Something we can not allow by law enforcement.

Any minority arrested will have an automatic built in defense.
How so? I don't get it.

I think some people got butt hurt at the office and whined. And retribution was handed down for having a difference in opinion.

I have not heard anyone accuse Rudy Giuliani of having bias against any segment of society, yet he is saying almost the same thing.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:45 PM

21,149 posts, read 19,729,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Police are part of government....not private employers.
The government is the employer. I never mentioned "private".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies