Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 02:09 PM

50,884 posts, read 24,384,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Perhaps require that ordinary officers must have the first two rounds in their gun as non-lethal rounds. Being as the army fires warning shots in much more dangerous conditions, I don't see why the police can't do the same.
No. There is always a chance that a lethal round may be necessary immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 02:12 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,328,323 times
um....

don't commit a crime?

Old 07-15-2016, 02:12 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,457,153 times
Outlaw legal murder.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 PM

50,884 posts, read 24,384,032 times
I'm going to tell you -- in a nutshell -- which posts in this thread are stupid.

Not necessarily the posts from the always support the police faction.
Not necessarily the posts from the always against the police faction.

The stupid posts are those that indicate this is all an easy problem to solve, just _____.

This is a complex issues with many factors to it. In fact, most real problems are complex...otherwise they wouldn't be problems.

I just know this -- if we keep doing what we've doing, we'll keep having the strife over this issue. There needs to be changes, and those changes are not simple...for any side.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:21 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,720,528 times
One thing we can do is stop allowing departments to do their own internal investigations. Require a state or private investigation into any suspect issues.

Many feel that when police do wrong, there are no repercussions.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:52 PM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Chance and Change;44772363]Yes, if an officer feels someone is a potential threat, or the officer becomes fearful, "CALL FOR BACK UP" !!!!! Don't reach for the gun or antagonize the situation. Simply call for Back up - Explain his interpretation to the re-enforcement and then proceed with a process which does not escalate the jeopardizing of the citizen or himself. "Safety First" !!!!!!!!
you have got to be kidding me????? Couch cop, you are....have all the answers...

Quote:
If the situation is already violent, the office should not be alone in trying to deal with it, "Again, Call for Back Up".
I wish things happened this slowly

Quote:
If its imminent danger of some sort, again, the officer should not proceed without first making the call for back up and get instructions on the most viable and suitable option as to how to proceed.
and get his head blown off doing so, are you for real?

Old 07-15-2016, 02:55 PM

28,946 posts, read 30,301,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm going to tell you -- in a nutshell -- which posts in this thread are stupid.

Not necessarily the posts from the always support the police faction.
Not necessarily the posts from the always against the police faction.

The stupid posts are those that indicate this is all an easy problem to solve, just _____.

This is a complex issues with many factors to it. In fact, most real problems are complex...otherwise they wouldn't be problems.

I just know this -- if we keep doing what we've doing, we'll keep having the strife over this issue. There needs to be changes, and those changes are not simple...for any side.
OMG, I cannot believe the lack of intellect and common sense on these people.

the only way to solve this problem, takes time and hard work, raise kids in a two parent home, stop the drugs, liquor, and violence, the domestic disputes....raise kids with moral respect for themselves, and get them off the streets....stop the criminal behavior, and the list goes on and on, so much good can come from good parents who are involved with their kids....if you want to fix the problem, fix yourselves.....period.

Thank you for this post...

Old 07-15-2016, 02:55 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,527,987 times
The only form of gun control that works is taking aim before pulling the trigger.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,632,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Great post. I do disagree with the part highlighted in purple. Technology does break down, sometimes at the worst time. My solution there is a sort of grand jury for every shooting by a policeman, no more self-evaluation by the police department.
Thanks, Phetaroi. A few of you have pointed out that technology failures do happen and equipment can be knocked off of shirts, so I'm having to back down on that point. At the time I wrote my post I was thinking of an article I'd read stating in some departments cops were purposely disabling their cameras every day before heading out. So, I've changed my mind on that. Maybe there's a way to determine if a failure was truly equipment failing or a user disabling it.

I like your solution and completely agree with it. Internal investigations have protected crooked cops, a practice that has to stop.

That would probably be step number one, for me.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:09 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,376,477 times
My initial instinct is STOP enforcing officers to their targets in order to gain $$ into coffers..Like what Ferguson PD got called out on. Pulling over folks in order to find some sort of traffic offences in order to gain punitive fines is ridiculous..

Then of course there's the disproportionate folks who get pulled over ( likely assumed as BAD actors due to implicit biases) and it is those that often end up in killing by Police with their usual ( felt threatened/saw a gun/did not cooperate) excuses~~ It seems advent of Video from observers has blown a complete whole into such a constant excuse always made by police. In fact when I read the NYS Supreme Court Judge state exactly that..Police lie ..in her ruling as to "Stop and Frisk" pointed directly to this issue.

Absolutely there is no silver bullet..but stopping just to harass..or to bully certain targets..makes you wonder why LE isn't trusted by LE generally! Work with thpse folks.. Of course there will be mentally predisposed type who will want to confront..as they want to die anyway..But generally speaking..when folks feel they are getting a fair shake..THEY will cooperate..Until then..It's a stalemate unfortunately!!

Community policing is the answer..where cops who work the beat KNOW their constituents..thus know who is who..and can be aware of specific threats..whether is gang related or disenfranchised types..Tips and warning from constituents is invaluable! It should never be It's us versus them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies