Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does President Obama Bear Any Responsibility For The Recent Police Shootings?
YES 70 55.12%
NO 57 44.88%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 08:38 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times

Advertisements

William Gordon, thanks for putting that list together. The responses will be interesting.
There are two kinds of Trump supporters, those that deny he is a racist and those that love him because he is a racist.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:04 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gordon View Post
Really?

1). Here Are 10 Examples Of Donald Trump Being Racist - Huffington Post

2). Donald Trump is a bigot and a racist - The Washington Post

3). Trump Sells White Supremacy - Not Only Racism and Bigotry

4). Trump brings bigots out of hiding - The Washington Post

5). Donald Trump's Cynically Opportunistic Bigotry - The Atlantic

6). KING: All Donald Trump supporters are bigots - NY Daily News

7). The politics of bigotry: Donald Trump and the rise of white racial ...

8). A Vote for Donald Trump Is a Vote for Bigotry - The Daily Beast

9). Donald Trump Gives White Men Permission to Be Sexist and Racist

10). Donald Trump is the Bigoted Elephant in the Room | Al Jazeera America

11). Trump's Bigotry Is a Drug to Texas Republicans - Rolling Stone

12). Louis C.K. on Donald Trump: 'He's an Insane Bigot, He Is Dangerous ...

That's just the first page of the google search...oh wait, they're all part of the massive conspiracy, bought and paid for by the Clinton's. Did you ever stop and think just maybe these stories are because of what the dumpster says ad nauseam?
Wapo, Huffpo, Daily Beast, Al Jazeera, etc.

Great job on that non biased list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
William Gordon, thanks for putting that list together. The responses will be interesting.
There are two kinds of Trump supporters, those that deny he is a racist and those that love him because he is a racist.
Read my response above.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:18 PM

416 posts, read 260,314 times
Funny thing here EL, is the authors actually put their names on the bylines and supported their comments with facts. Dang, those conspiracy theories always get shot in the ass when you use Trump's own words used to implicate him.

The thing about the dumpster divers is they love the fact the Donald "tells it like it is." Then when reporters use his words to prove he is a racist and a bigot they get all crazed. We used to try and teach people if someone doesn't comprehend what you are saying, don't blame the listener. It's more likely what you are saying is causing the confusion, not what listeners are hearing.

If Trump isn't a bigot, perhaps he should cut the hyperbole and the rhetoric. Take any one of those columns and read what the Donald said and why people view him as a racist.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:25 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,517 times
The problem when you make accusations based on only one side of the "facts, " written by obviously biased writers, is that the only people your convincing are the ignorant and gullible.

Often times, "facts" are words taken out of context, or events construed differently to the way they actually happened, to suit a writers political agenda. Writers are, after all, paid to write in a sensational manner because it's always about how many readers, or hits that they can convert into revenue.

So cherry picking political hit pieces only hurts you, the reader, by shielding you from a fuller understanding of why this phenomenon (Trump) exists and is changing the face of politics, forever.

Once again, this election is not about Trump, but the dissatisfaction of conservatives and the direction of our country. Trump just happens to be our flag bearer, warts and all.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:03 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I responded no because what can he do? The police shootings are done largely by ex-military (both Dallas AND Baton Rogue were ex-military) and it isn't clear if race was the reason they snapped. And because both are now dead, there is only so much investigation to be done. What more can Obama do, set up a presidential task force for an investigation on police shootings that won't be completed until well into our next president's first (and likely last) term in office?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It is the fault of the shooter and no one else.

Being the first black president - Obama has tried to walk a very fine line. He must be doing it because many whites think he says too much and many blacks think he says too little.
He does. For a long while I bought the right-wing lies. Then they ran us into fiscal cliffs and debt ceilings in 2013 over Obamacare and again in 2015 over a doctored Planned Parenthood video. In October 2013, I woke up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
That's part of the problem with this guy - he worries too much about what people think, and not enough about what is and is not the right thing to do or say.
And as president you have to please everyone. For years, Reagan didn't talk about AIDS. Then his buddy Rock gets it and all of a sudden, he realizes something needed to be done. He even wanted Ryan White and other hemophiliacs who got the disease through blood transfusions to not go to school with "his children." He gave a speech at a 1987 gala and encouraged testing for immigrants and the gays in the audience booed him and turned their backs on him. Since then, Presidents have tried being more walk the line. Granted, Reagan was already a lame duck by this point but you get the idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
No he does not bear the responsibility and I am very very sick of racists and bigots blaming him.

I watched a live interview today with a man name Terry Cunningham who is president of the International Chiefs of Police. He stated quite clearly and intelligently that after meeting with Obama and other law enforcement personnel last week at the WH, he does not, and nobody can, question Obama's commitment to law enforcement and stopping these killings.

I believe this man (Cunningham), as I feel he has vastly more knowledge and experience with these issues than some of the divisive haters on the forum and around the country. Real easy to sit in your armchair and blame everyone but yourself. The disrespect many in this country have given our president is one of the major contributors to the hate and destruction we are now experiencing.

The haters, racists and those exacerbating the divisions are to a large extent to blame, whether they be black or white. Posts like these most certainly do nothing productive regarding this situation, but most certainly encourage divisions.

"...Police groups and activists emerged from the meeting saying they didn't always agree with each other on the issues, but they did agree the meeting was productive and could lead to building trust and improving accountability in police departments.

"From the law enforcement perspective, we hear it, we understand it," said Terry Cunningham, president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police..."

Associated Press
I was one of these anti-Obama "biggots" though I dated inter-racially (go figure) as I mentioned before. I said on what was it, Election Day 2008 that Obama needs to do right by this country or he'll be the only black president in American history. I fear I was right and I fear that he in a way is a scapegoat. Why because of his race as well as his political ideology. It is hard to rail against your hometeam. Look at sports when people are critical of teams. When I criticized the potential move of the Arizona Coyotes from Glendale to a new arena in Scottsdale, I got a "not a true fan" insult thrown at me, despite me supporting the team for the last 7/8 years going to at least one game a year, even during the shortened lock-out year. Even though Bush gets railed against by Republicans, some would claim you aren't a Republican if you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Why is this in Elections? Shouldn't it be in the Politics forum?
It will be a big part of the election. I don't see Trump being the answer with a more militant presence, and this comes from a security guard at a football stadium.

Quote:
I think all of the racial divide and tensions have come following the Dumpsters year long campaign of bigotry and minority bashing.

Ultimately you have to ask yourself, who benefits from the unrest in this country? The answer is easy, the guy jumping up and pointing fingers...makes you start to wonder if there isn't more to the story eh? After all, Trump is the master of hyperbole. Just ask him, he brags about it nonstop.
I agree. The last year + has had a lot of race-baiting comments from the would be Trump crowd and even Rockefellers like my father. My father don't bash minorities except when they need to be. He bashed Mike Brown over fighting over the gun (as did I even though I question it because there is no true proof.) The problem is people are so biased now that it makes things harder. People will tie these two cop killings to #BLM. A friend of mine did so on Facebook and he's NYPD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
Great post... unfortunately it won't matter.

There are some people who will blame obama for everything just because he is not a Republican.

Flip side is so many dems who said bush was responsible for 9/11. Wow, really?
Yeah, the far-right and left scare me.

Quote:
Really?

1). Here Are 10 Examples Of Donald Trump Being Racist - Huffington Post

2). Donald Trump is a bigot and a racist - The Washington Post

3). Trump Sells White Supremacy - Not Only Racism and Bigotry

4). Trump brings bigots out of hiding - The Washington Post

5). Donald Trump's Cynically Opportunistic Bigotry - The Atlantic

6). KING: All Donald Trump supporters are bigots - NY Daily News

7). The politics of bigotry: Donald Trump and the rise of white racial ...

8). A Vote for Donald Trump Is a Vote for Bigotry - The Daily Beast

9). Donald Trump Gives White Men Permission to Be Sexist and Racist

10). Donald Trump is the Bigoted Elephant in the Room | Al Jazeera America

11). Trump's Bigotry Is a Drug to Texas Republicans - Rolling Stone

12). Louis C.K. on Donald Trump: 'He's an Insane Bigot, He Is Dangerous ...

That's just the first page of the google search...oh wait, they're all part of the massive conspiracy, bought and paid for by the Clinton's. Did you ever stop and think just maybe these stories are because of what the dumpster says ad nauseam?
Yeah Trump is far to divisive, waffling and hypocritical to not be a politician. I think he missed his calling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Wapo, Huffpo, Daily Beast, Al Jazeera, etc.

Great job on that non biased list!

Read my response above.
And this is an example of the biases. If Fox News or Red State had this, would you dismiss it too? Oh wait, "Fox News hates Trump," right.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:24 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
I vote "No" because police brutality does not depend on who sits in the Oval Office (so far at least*). If anything, Obama's been exactly the opposite without "blaming whitey" (to use certain people's terms). At worst, he's about ten links in the chain away from any such incident - which is precisely my point. You can make anyone look responsible for a terrible incident of any kind if you construct a chain with ten links in it -- chances are you can even make a link connecting your mom or dad or kids to the event with a ten, maybe even five, link chain. This would still be going on even if Hillary were in the White House instead of Barack - or Mitt, too, for that matter.

Anyone wanting to link the President (any president throughtout the years) to police brutality has to provide some pretty convincing evidence for it. So far, I see none in this thread.

*IF Trump's elected, I will make an exception for him - given his uniquely (for a presidential candidate) blatantly inflammatory rhetoric.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:36 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
Quote:
Funny thing here EL, is the authors actually put their names on the bylines and supported their comments with facts. Dang, those conspiracy theories always get shot in the ass when you use Trump's own words used to implicate him.

The thing about the dumpster divers is they love the fact the Donald "tells it like it is." Then when reporters use his words to prove he is a racist and a bigot they get all crazed. We used to try and teach people if someone doesn't comprehend what you are saying, don't blame the listener. It's more likely what you are saying is causing the confusion, not what listeners are hearing.

If Trump isn't a bigot, perhaps he should cut the hyperbole and the rhetoric. Take any one of those columns and read what the Donald said and why people view him as a racist.
William, you'll LOVE these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69L4UYvu2k

Who Said It: Presidential Hopeful Donald Trump or ‘Idiocracy’ President Camacho? – Flavorwire

Old 07-18-2016, 01:41 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Absolutely. He set the stage early on when he said "the cops acted stupidly" in the Gates incident. Even discounting that pre-presidency, he was a racist of the worst kind (start with the church he attended), he could and should have kept his flapping gums shut on social issues. It's 95% on him.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I say 100% yes. He has demonized white police since the Boston professor. He finally admitted he was wrong but invite the police for a beer. It has since escalated.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:17 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Absolutely. He set the stage early on when he said "the cops acted stupidly" in the Gates incident. Even discounting that pre-presidency, he was a racist of the worst kind (start with the church he attended), he could and should have kept his flapping gums shut on social issues. It's 95% on him.
So Obama is 95% more responsible for the anger directed at police than the actual suspicious killings of black people at the hands of police?

In their words, you're suggesting talking is more a contributing factor for an unfavorable opinion of police than the actual acts of police killing black people under suspicious circumstances.

Do you right wingers hear yourselves? Clearly, you're trying to use Obama as a convenient scapegoat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies