Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 07:04 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Ridiculous

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0bc648a0eb442
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 07:35 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I agree. I can't imagine what the thinking was leading to the conclusion that this was in the public interest. Taxpayers should pay for sex change operations for military personnel? What is the benefit to taxpayers, or to the Armed Forces?
My thought is "What about all the other physical and mental health issues that deny a person entry into the military, will they all be covered now?" Will someone overweight that wants to join be given surgery, etc. so that they can meet the profile? What about someone too short? What about someone whose eyesight is too poor? What about someone missing a limb? What about everyone else who currently doesn't meet the profile, will they be given the same regard, if not, this is wrong and it discriminates in a whole new way!

I know of no other physical or mental health issue for which someone goes into the military to solve, you are either capable at the entry station as is physically and mentally or you go back home and find another career! Mission ready!

Old 11-15-2017, 07:42 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
and hi ho hi ho its off to work we go, so we can pay for GI joes/janes sex change (and their ptsd, drug addictions,injuries for life, education, hero subsidies, burials...)
Since invading,occupying, bombing and killing isn't enough, maybe policy changes such as these along with granting waivers for the mentally ill and drug addicted will dissuade more from enlisting. That is all the positive I can put on it

Old 11-15-2017, 12:18 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Default The Pentagon Approves Gender Reassignment Surgery for an Active Duty Military Member

So much for Trump's attempt at banning transgender people from joining the military. Four months after his attempt at preventing them from serving in the armed forces, they approved gender reassignment surgery for an active duty member.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/1...gtype=Homepage

Old 11-15-2017, 12:23 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Why doesn't he just shoot it off and save us the money and life long treatments for hormones and depression.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:24 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So much for Trump's attempt at banning transgender people from joining the military. Four months after his attempt at preventing them from serving in the armed forces, they approved gender reassignment surgery for an active duty member.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/11/1...gtype=Homepage
Somehow you can't comprehend the difference between banning from joining, and being currently a member.

Nor do you apparently think its OK to provide someone in the military with the medical care that most can get outside of the military.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:32 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Somehow you can't comprehend the difference between banning from joining, and being currently a member.

Nor do you apparently think its OK to provide someone in the military with the medical care that most can get outside of the military.
Don't tell me what I can and cannot comprehend. I understand both points quite well, thank you. And you're wrong about health insurance policies outside the military. The majority of them do NOT cover gender reassignment surgery.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Don't tell me what I can and cannot comprehend. I understand both points quite well, thank you. BTW, the majority of insurance policies do NOT cover gender reassignment surgery.
given this:
(bolding added by me)
Quote:
Apparently you do NOT comprehend that the person involved was in the military beforehand, and Trump was banning new people. So yes I WILL tell you that.

And in fact most insurance these days DOES in fact cover it. Thats been fairly recent. So you are wrong on your second point too. Medicare, Aetna, Cigna, United health, Emblem health, and at least 8 blue cross state programs.

Any more ignorance I can help with?

Old 11-15-2017, 03:51 PM

39,206 posts, read 27,575,665 times
It is not transphobic to acknowledge that transgenderism is accompanied by a higher likelihood of psychological concerns.

The stresses of the condition and societal reactions must be awful to deal with.

However, underlying reasons and understanding don’t matter in this case. This is the military. An increase in “psychiatric disorders and substance dependence” and any elevated potentials for suicidal behavior are a detriment to the military.

You should be able to be transgender without others having any say in the matter, because it doesn’t burden those others. You should be able to pay for these services yourself if you desire, especially given the utter lack of a “better” solution. However, putting them in the military shifts financial burden to others, and things suddenly become ethically complex.

Any medical condition that requires daily meds disqualifies you from military service.

Old 11-15-2017, 04:00 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I have read in a couple of places that a "sex change" operation can leave many of the patients with depression and suicidal-thoughts......much of this may be due to the sub-optimal surgery-results.

Sex-change surgery regret is on the rise, leading surgeon says. Here’s why. – TheBlaze

A concerning number of transgender people who have undergone sex change surgeries go on to express regrets and experience crippling depression and suicidal thoughts, according to an experienced genital reconstruction surgeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies