Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 AM

57,408 posts, read 26,310,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I think that person both the cop and the POS who called 911 should be both be arrested (the latter for calling the police unnecessarily), and sued by the victim.
How did the 911 caller conclude that he had a gun, why would police shoot someone laying on his back with both hands up, much explaining on this one.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:22 AM

73,098 posts, read 62,737,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Yes, and when has there been a time when some Blacks didn't think the worst of LEOs (or Whites)?

Yes, it has been said repeatedly, but it needs to be said again: People should stop judging others based on occupation or skin color because that is just so stupid and wrong. Some people are "bad" and some people are "good", but that is much more a result of what is on the inside than what is on the outside.

(The only reason I say "more" is because I think it is easier to be "good" if one has been privileged in life and not been victimized and/or discriminated against, whereas I think it is easier to be "bad" if the foregoing was not true.)
I know not all policemen are bad. One reason I said "some officers". There have been many who look at Blacks with fear. My point is that the relationship between LEOs and Blacks has been quite bad throughout history. I can't really think of a time in U.S. history when there was alot of racial harmony.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:23 AM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I agree with all but the bolded part.

You don't have to be privileged to be a good person. Many underprivileged people are good. That is a moral value that one must hold on to. The responsibility of teaching moral values comes from the home and the parents. You can make a conscious effort to do good despite poor circumstances. You can turn the other cheek at any time. By saying that those who are discriminated against have a harder time recognizing good is giving those who choose not to be good a crutch and something to blame their lack of judgment on. It also admonishes any responsibility or accountability. We all get that feeling of guilt before doing something we know might be wrong. The difference is whether or not we listen to it.

I know plenty of bad people who came from privilege, and many good people who were poor. Choosing to hate (yes, it is a conscious choice and is much more difficult to hold onto than love) allows us to ignore our moral compass.
Just to clarify, I said it was easier to be good if . . . , I did not say that it was impossible or even difficult to be good if one did not have advantages. I absolutely agree that there are many very good people who have been horribly mistreated in life, just as there are many very bad people who had every advantage.

I do agree with everything you said above, btw.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,798,968 times
Some of us comply and STILL get shot. This isn't the first time this has happened; we listen to orders and pay for it with a bullet.

Maybe we should just be completely still. Maybe that would help.

SMDH.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:24 AM

27,696 posts, read 16,186,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, you're going to have to explain that one to me. Pretty sure Unsettomati just laid out what happened.
Always about race If I must~ White cop and brown cop show up.. Black guy and brown big kid in street. Stupid cop shoots black guy.. which cop fired shots? I don't know. Does it matter? Yes. If it was the darker cop would it matter less? No. TOOO quick to throw the :"race" into Everything. Total f*(&# up by the offending officer as far as I can tell. Apparently cop that shot doesn't know why he pulled trigger..

Old 07-21-2016, 10:25 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,744,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartinez View Post
isn't it time to disband the fbi, tsa, atf and most police departments?
yep.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,658,319 times
Both the mayor and police chief of North Miami are black.

Is this more black on black violence?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 AM

73,098 posts, read 62,737,535 times
I think the officer knew what he was doing. I think he knew he was wrong. In my opinion, his mentality could have been "kill or be killed", "shoot now, ask questions later". He said he didn't know why. I think he knew why he did it, but won't say. My theory is this. There are some people who think in terms of "whatever helps me live another day". I do think that in his mind, that man was a threat, and he might have felt better with that man dead. To him, it could have been "kill or be killed". This is not a rant at law enforcement. This is about this individual. There are other individuals, inside and outside of law enforcement, who think like this. Just my theory.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:27 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,798,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know not all policemen are bad. One reason I said "some officers". There have been many who look at Blacks with fear. My point is that the relationship between LEOs and Blacks has been quite bad throughout history. I can't really think of a time in U.S. history when there was alot of racial harmony.
Quoted for truth. There has never been a period in this country when Blacks and LEOs have gotten along nicely, for the most part.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,573,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The other side of that coin is that police departments MUST stop defending bad cops, and start admitting when one of their own does something wrong.

THAT, to me, is the real root cause of all the tension and fear much of the public feels. I mean, when cops are being taped beating a man for no reason, go to trial, and are found not guilty of anything, what message does that convey? It creates fear and paranoia in the general population.
Agree - - and this goes back to the 70s/Serpico and I'm sure well before that as well.

Body cameras were a step towards transparency - - more would get people to trust the police more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies